• 0-20
    • 21-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-100+

Yes, in these years the creativity of the user was formed a lot, creating a graphic pseudo UI with ANSI, programming an agenda with .bat files, games in the Works spreadsheet..... things like that 😂

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 4/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, Zerg Rush said:

This was the PC I had

wYvJJw8.png

Apparently Schneider continued to manufacture PCs, although only at the level of the EC and Eastern countries.

Like this low cost PC, all in one (299€)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07FCCXGNJ?tag=embajada-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1 (a better Smart TV, I think)

I had no idea that Schneider produced PCs after the CPC 8 Bit series....which originally was Armstrad hardware, if I recall correctly.

However, very interesting! :)

Yes, Schneider belonged to Armstrad in its early days.

Also in later products, such as TV and others, I was always struck by the extraordinary quality / price ratio of their products, although they did not manufacture high-end TVs and PCs.

In PCs, despite their low price, they did not go with rubber keyboards, but with good mechanical keyboards, which at that time was not so frequent in equivalent equipment of others, apart from an impeccable finish.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Thanks 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

heh my creativity allmost got me in more trouble than id care for when after discussing the inherent unsafety of win9x for use in our schools. The teachers told us we where to dumb to make that assesment so i hacked the schools server deleting the OS and all the exam papers using a simple batch script... Well that did indeed get them to upgrade to win2k but pretty much everyone in the school wanted my hide after that xD

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

had one of these beauties as well https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/collection/ps2-70.htm

years ahead of microsoft by the time, ran microsoft stuff as well using a port of the win 3.11 subsystem. probably one of the best workspace operating systems of the time though it did use quite a bit more resources than 3.11 it was not slow at all. it did have some quirks though.

• 2 weeks later...

well the old operating systems could actually run on modern pc's if it wasnt for a few snags...

there are no sata drivers for them (yes you are f.... by now so no need to go further), no GFX or soundcard drivers as well.  Luckily you can still get some 3rd hand used hardware for peanuts that supports the above, go for a mainboard with AGP to get the best compatibility, but you can actually run 98 on a core2 with the PCIE gen2 if you can find an lga 775 board with the old PATA header you are golden, still need to be carefull with gfx cards but the old geforce 6 or 700 models still had win9x drivers even for PCIE.

try to get your hands on one of the older soundblaster cards preferably one using a PCI socket.

Remember win9x cannot use ram above 3gb so put no more than 4gb in the board as it would be a waste, also fat32 has some restrictions on harddrive size though most PATA models should be ok to use. Something like the above was the last win9x machine i had and except the fact that drivers had to be installed in the correct order (if you dont it will crash and you can start all over again) and you had to be carefull with some software also (around that time microsoft enforced driver signing you might guess why after you tried this setup). It was fast though really really Really fast when it worked...

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

in case you wonder my beard was white when i hit 25 🤣 only started getting some grey streaks in my hair in the last two years hehe. and for those younger here enjoy your youth while you have it 😉 at around 40 the problems start (just look at those receeding hairlines atrocious!!!), well if the hair was my only problem i could live with it hehe i also got gall stones kidney stones and a nasty fall which broke my back in two places at around that time.

So enjoy it while you can :) or stay away from ladders 😂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this poll.  I just turned 50 last year.  I have been computing in various forms since the age of 5 when our school got an Apple ][.

I see people posting images of their first computers...
Well, here is my first personal computer:  The Coleco Adam
https://www.oldcomputers.net/adam.html

It was recommended by a tech-savvy relative.  When it came to programming, particularly BASIC, it was almost completely compatible with Applesoft Basic.

• Like 1

had a hard time remembering the last commodore i had but i finally found it.

https://cdtvland.com/hardware/

the cdtv 1000 was unfortunatly one of the last commodore before they went poof.

notable was that it could not accept cd's directly but needed a caddy, there where also numerous addons to it like a scart adapter.

the pc itself was basically an amiga 500 with a cd drive, it did run amigaos 1.3 which was not bad for its time 😉 remember this was a desktop os before win/anything.

unfortunatly getting one these days will be prohibitively expensive as they have become something of a collectors item...