The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Commerce Bank (by grayman) (2019/4/10)

grayman

• 6 months later...

I just finished playing all five William Steele missions and I've got to say, what a brilliant series. 

One of the few things I'm missing in TDM is an overarching story like in Thief games, so playing these missions back to back was a treat. Although the story is smaller in scope and not as strong as in T1/T2, it's obvious that a great deal of effort was put into it, there's a crapton of readables that are interesting and yet not too long and I love how one continuous story brings us to such different places. 

I especially enjoyed WS2 because I just like rooftopping and verticality, something about the aesthetic makes traversing the city in heights really enjoyable even if the mission is not very challenging. And then the Warrens! Possibly the most unique mission I've played so far. I've seen some really cool gimmicks (...like the dream sequence in WS3), but what made the Warrens special was how the whole concept of the mission was kind of different in so many things - super non-linear map, not too many patrols, fantastically bleak atmosphere, the finale... - and all those things worked together to create a mission that was different and yet coherent. 

There were of course some parts I thought were weaker (like the partols in sewers, I don't mind unpredictability, but when 3 guys suddenly patrol together and leave half of the sewers unattended, it doesn't make sense), but most parts were really strong and I recommend this series to everyone.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:25 PM, vozka said:

I just finished playing all five William Steele missions and I've got to say, what a brilliant series. 

One of the few things I'm missing in TDM is an overarching story like in Thief games, so playing these missions back to back was a treat. Although the story is smaller in scope and not as strong as in T1/T2, it's obvious that a great deal of effort was put into it, there's a crapton of readables that are interesting and yet not too long and I love how one continuous story brings us to such different places. 

I especially enjoyed WS2 because I just like rooftopping and verticality, something about the aesthetic makes traversing the city in heights really enjoyable even if the mission is not very challenging. And then the Warrens! Possibly the most unique mission I've played so far. I've seen some really cool gimmicks (...like the dream sequence in WS3), but what made the Warrens special was how the whole concept of the mission was kind of different in so many things - super non-linear map, not too many patrols, fantastically bleak atmosphere, the finale... - and all those things worked together to create a mission that was different and yet coherent. 

There were of course some parts I thought were weaker (like the partols in sewers, I don't mind unpredictability, but when 3 guys suddenly patrol together and leave half of the sewers unattended, it doesn't make sense), but most parts were really strong and I recommend this series to everyone.

I also really loved WS2, had an absolute blast playing it, and it was my favorite in the series, followed by the Warrens. The atmosphere in the Warrens is really amazing/unique, it made me feel like I was actually there, in a quarantined district. I remember I played it in one sitting of many hours :)

Edited by darksilence

The Dark Mod Database: https://tdmdb.com

• 2 months later...

Finished.

In brief: rather short, not that difficult but really enjoyed it.

A bit more:

Ok, shame on me but this was the first mission I was unable to actually 'start' for several mins!! I knew (in theory) how I'm supposed to sneak in, but....better said than done...until i _finally_ found the way 🙂

The atmosphere is very calm, majestic and I had a feeling like walking through a real bank for nobles.

Very relaxing, no stress, too often I caught myself just looking around and admiring the interior.

The bank felt indeed like a maze but after some walking I was able to recognize the halls, pathways and started to orient myself. The floor plan is amazing, rooms with multiple doors very confusing (at least until I learned the different places), some places marvelous (the pathway to client rooms) and some really surprising (maintenance, the open-air stone room with moon sight).

This was not of the most challenging missions, but still beautifully crafted and leaving lot of memories in my mind....

Thanks a LOT