The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position (2019/05/04)

Bienie

Hello Bienie,

Congrats on the release, very cool atmosphere!

You are releasing new missions at a breakneck pace.

Thus I came to the conclusion that you are a machine desgined for mapping! :)

Jack

Error 404, response not found. ^^

Edited by Bienie
  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Hello Bienie,

Update:

Not only the atmosphere is cool, I really like the combination of both vertical and horizontal movement. This really feels like in a crowded, little city.

You have added a lots of details (especially the columns in the rooms look great) and your placement of core assets is very fitting. Well, “fitting” is the wrong word. Your placement of assets feels...”natural”, yeah, that’s it.

And you've got swinging laundry and lots of these (how you call that) "light rays through windows" (you know what I mean) with dust particles swirling around. I have to look into you map to see how you did that. Used it twice in HHI, but it looked not convincing.

Conclusion: I think it is time that I come for your computer to have it smashed. I can't allow another AAA mapper here with all the other great authors already working here.

Thank you again for this mission!

Jack

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 1

Congratulations to the release. B)

This year's spring seems really fertile for new releases.

• Like 1

Hello Bienie,

Update:

Not only the atmosphere is cool, I really like the combination of both vertical and horizontal movement. This really feels like in a crowded, little city.

You have added a lots of details (especially the columns in the rooms look great) and your placement of core assets is very fitting. Well, “fitting” is the wrong word. Your placement of assets feels...”natural”, yeah, that’s it.

And you've got swinging laundry and lots of these (how you call that) "light rays through windows" (you know what I mean) with dust particles swirling around. I have to look into you map to see how you did that. Used it twice in HHI, but it looked not convincing.

Conclusion: I think it is time that I come for your computer to have it smashed. I can't allow another AAA mapper here with all the other great authors already working here.

Thank you again for this mission!

Jack

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it. You can accomplish quite a lot with stock assets, and just adding a few hand-built bits and bobs here and there (the god rays are a stock asset by the way!). Though I think for the final installment of CoS I'm going to be adding a lot more brushwork buildings and such, being set in a different town where the current module set we have doesn't fit in. I'm not going to rush it too much though, and have at least one non-CoS mission lined up before it.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it. You can accomplish quite a lot with stock assets, and just adding a few hand-built bits and bobs here and there (the god rays are a stock asset by the way!). Though I think for the final installment of CoS I'm going to be adding a lot more brushwork buildings and such, being set in a different town where the current module set we have doesn't fit in. I'm not going to rush it too much though, and have at least one non-CoS mission lined up before it.

Stock? Oh babe, oh babe, oh babe, I have to check this with respect to your map design.

Thanks for the hint!

Jack

It's a very complex location, I like it. Maybe there are a bit too much ingame hints on master level, otherwise it's an excellent mission. Thanks.

Edit: I mean too much hints about unimportant loot. For example that long list near the start.

Edited by Gerberox
  • Like 1

I'm really really enjoying this mission. I think it's perfect :-)

Perfect? wow, thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Bienie, this mission is fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to create it. I've been looking forward to CoS2 ever since I played Pearls and Swine.

This map is full of everything I love about Thief/Dark Mod; lots of little hideaways to explore, multiple points of entry to your objectives (I found 5 ways to enter the watch house), hidden loot all over the place, and it's all very atmospheric.

The detail you've put into everything is also great and your sense of scale is spot on.

I found 4351 loot and 9 secrets, as well as finishing the "ratter" challenge.

I encountered just a few issues:

1) After dumping Warin's unconscious body in the cart and then collecting the reward, the objective later unchecked in the objectives screen as though I had not completed it. So I went back to the cart to see if the body had fallen off or something, and it was gone. So I couldn't "complete" the objective even though I had already done so. But it's no big deal, just thought you should know.

2) There was an extra rat in my playthrough, for just a brief moment. I killed 5 rats (tavern courtyard, alley where the guy pees on the other guy, under the tree, near the stairs by the baker, and in the sewer) and then, when I entered the watch house, there was a sixth rat in the passage on the ground floor. He ran towards the stairway door and I chased after him, but when I went through the door he was gone. Again, it was no big deal.

3) I could not get into cell 5 because the prostitute was always in the way. Is knocking her out the only way to get in there? I didn't want to knock her out because I like ghosting these missions.

Hey, what happened to...

...the assassin/bird-man from Pearls and Swine who leaves a white feather on the doorsteps of his victims? I was expecting a continuation of the story in CoS2. I saw that Jackablade was mentioned, but not the feather guy.

Thanks again for this awesome FM. I had a great time exploring everywhere.

• Like 1

Bienie, this mission is fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to create it. I've been looking forward to CoS2 ever since I played Pearls and Swine.

This map is full of everything I love about Thief/Dark Mod; lots of little hideaways to explore, multiple points of entry to your objectives (I found 5 ways to enter the watch house), hidden loot all over the place, and it's all very atmospheric.

The detail you've put into everything is also great and your sense of scale is spot on.

I found 4351 loot and 9 secrets, as well as finishing the "ratter" challenge.

I encountered just a few issues:

1) After dumping Warin's unconscious body in the cart and then collecting the reward, the objective later unchecked in the objectives screen as though I had not completed it. So I went back to the cart to see if the body had fallen off or something, and it was gone. So I couldn't "complete" the objective even though I had already done so. But it's no big deal, just thought you should know.

2) There was an extra rat in my playthrough, for just a brief moment. I killed 5 rats (tavern courtyard, alley where the guy pees on the other guy, under the tree, near the stairs by the baker, and in the sewer) and then, when I entered the watch house, there was a sixth rat in the passage on the ground floor. He ran towards the stairway door and I chased after him, but when I went through the door he was gone. Again, it was no big deal.

3) I could not get into cell 5 because the prostitute was always in the way. Is knocking her out the only way to get in there? I didn't want to knock her out because I like ghosting these missions.

Hey, what happened to...

...the assassin/bird-man from Pearls and Swine who leaves a white feather on the doorsteps of his victims? I was expecting a continuation of the story in CoS2. I saw that Jackablade was mentioned, but not the feather guy.

Thanks again for this awesome FM. I had a great time exploring everywhere.

Thank you for the shining review!

It sure sounds like you took your time and explored the mission fully. I had to pause for a second when you said you found 5 ways to enter the watch, count them in my head and remembered that, in fact, yes there are 5 ways to get in haha.

As for the issues you mentioned:

1) That is very strange that the objective unchecked itself. The only thing I can think is that his body somehow fell off the cart as you were going to pick up the reward. Did you notice if the guards were alerted when you returned? The body disappearing is intentional, it's teleported away when the player picks up the cash, to simulate that the guy's associates came and picked him up. I guess there is a way to break it then, since the money spawns when Warin is laid on the cart, but it becomes incompletable if he's moved off and then teleported away.

2) A sixth rat showing up in the watch and then disappearing into thin air? Wow that is an insane bug. There are only 5 rats in the mission, I assure you. Maybe one of them came back from the dead to taunt you!

3) Yes she is in the way. There's nothing behind her aside from a bed though. I wanted her to be standing close to the bars because I think it's funny how she interacts with the guard that comes in there. Originally I had meant to leave cell 5 impossible to open because of that, but then when I introduced the Mr. Sandman challenge I felt it was silly to force the player to use a gas arrow on her through the bars so I added the key. It's still kind of a pain though, cause it's hard to knock her out, the blackjack tends to hit the archway above her. Maybe I could have gotten away with putting her a few feet further into her cell, but I just thought it looked funny that she basically had her face pressed up to the bars when trying to tempt the guard.

As for The Raven, that's a good catch he is indeed not in the mission. Though the player does get informed that he is the next target towards the end of the mission, which is kind of the continuation of that story arc. In retrospect that would have been the perfect time to have him show up high on some roof somewhere eyeing the player. I will definitely try to work him in to the final mission (that I'm already starting to block out).

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Thank you for the shining review!

It sure sounds like you took your time and explored the mission fully. I had to pause for a second when you said you found 5 ways to enter the watch, count them in my head and remembered that, in fact, yes there are 5 ways to get in haha.

As for the issues you mentioned:

1) That is very strange that the objective unchecked itself. The only thing I can think is that his body somehow fell off the cart as you were going to pick up the reward. Did you notice if the guards were alerted when you returned? The body disappearing is intentional, it's teleported away when the player picks up the cash, to simulate that the guy's associates came and picked him up. I guess there is a way to break it then, since the money spawns when Warin is laid on the cart, but it becomes incompletable if he's moved off and then teleported away.

2) A sixth rat showing up in the watch and then disappearing into thin air? Wow that is an insane bug. There are only 5 rats in the mission, I assure you. Maybe one of them came back from the dead to taunt you!

3) Yes she is in the way. There's nothing behind her aside from a bed though. I wanted her to be standing close to the bars because I think it's funny how she interacts with the guard that comes in there. Originally I had meant to leave cell 5 impossible to open because of that, but then when I introduced the Mr. Sandman challenge I felt it was silly to force the player to use a gas arrow on her through the bars so I added the key. It's still kind of a pain though, cause it's hard to knock her out, the blackjack tends to hit the archway above her. Maybe I could have gotten away with putting her a few feet further into her cell, but I just thought it looked funny that she basically had her face pressed up to the bars when trying to tempt the guard.

As for The Raven, that's a good catch he is indeed not in the mission. Though the player does get informed that he is the next target towards the end of the mission, which is kind of the continuation of that story arc. In retrospect that would have been the perfect time to have him show up high on some roof somewhere eyeing the player. I will definitely try to work him in to the final mission (that I'm already starting to block out).

Ah, now that you mention it...

...I did see the note regarding "The Raven", but I didn't associate it with the assassin. I had forgotten that's what he was called.

Regarding what you've said about the issues:

1) What happened was that I placed Warin on the cart and got the "Objective Complete" chime, then I went and collected the money from the fireplace merchant. Then, shortly after, when I checked my Objective's screen, I saw that the Warin mission was not marked as complete. The box was unchecked. I'm not sure how to duplicate it. The guards were not alerted and they were still walking around with their swords sheathed etc.

2) I'm wondering if the sewer rat did not accidentally clip through into the watch building before I killed it? I definitely saw a rat in there, but maybe it was the same rat. A weird bug, though. Ghost rat.

3) Isn't the loose brick in cell 5 where the prostitute is? I did not find that secret during my playthrough, only read about it in your spoilers (above) after I finished the mission. You said the secret is in cell 5, which is where the prostitute is, or was that a typo? That's why I was wondering how to get around her.

I'm real glad to hear that you've started on CoS3! I can't wait to play it.

Thanks again, and please keep up the great work. These kinds of highly detailed environments are the best :)

Ah, now that you mention it...

...I did see the note regarding "The Raven", but I didn't associate it with the assassin. I had forgotten that's what he was called.

Regarding what you've said about the issues:

1) What happened was that I placed Warin on the cart and got the "Objective Complete" chime, then I went and collected the money from the fireplace merchant. Then, shortly after, when I checked my Objective's screen, I saw that the Warin mission was not marked as complete. The box was unchecked. I'm not sure how to duplicate it. The guards were not alerted and they were still walking around with their swords sheathed etc.

2) I'm wondering if the sewer rat did not accidentally clip through into the watch building before I killed it? I definitely saw a rat in there, but maybe it was the same rat. A weird bug, though. Ghost rat.

3) Isn't the loose brick in cell 5 where the prostitute is? I did not find that secret during my playthrough, only read about it in your spoilers (above) after I finished the mission. You said the secret is in cell 5, which is where the prostitute is, or was that a typo? That's why I was wondering how to get around her.

I'm real glad to hear that you've started on CoS3! I can't wait to play it.

Thanks again, and please keep up the great work. These kinds of highly detailed environments are the best :)

Yes it's the readable that you get an objective to hand it to your fence at the end, that is going to play a direct role in the events of CoS 3, foreshadowing if you will.

It does sound familiar now that you describe it, I think that same bug happened to me during play test, but I couldn't reproduce it.

You are correct about the hint FAQ above, I did make a typo. It's of course supposed to say cell #6, I've changed it now, thanks for telling me.

I will certainly keep up the work! I've got a kind of experimental project in mind next, but I will work on it alongside CoS3.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Sweet mission! I'm still going thru it but came up with 2 issues that I can't get around...

So far I've found 2 metal chests that I could open, but could not frob any of the loot in either. One was behind a painting, the other was in the room above a warehouse guarded by a bald guy. Not sure if it has anything to do with ver 2,07/32 bit but thought I'd throw that in there.

Otherwise super fun mission so far!

• Like 1

Sweet mission! I'm still going thru it but came up with 2 issues that I can't get around...

So far I've found 2 metal chests that I could open, but could not frob any of the loot in either. One was behind a painting, the other was in the room above a warehouse guarded by a bald guy. Not sure if it has anything to do with ver 2,07/32 bit but thought I'd throw that in there.

Otherwise super fun mission so far!

Glad you are enjoying the mission!

About your problems, it's pretty strange that the shipping company safe is having frob problems. Sometimes if you hit the book in the brothel twice in quick succession it can cause the loot to become unfrobbable. But a standard safe shouldn't have this problem. Have you tried to open the one in the the watch lobby yet? If you have trouble there as well I would lean towards it being a bug on your end, otherwise try to open and close them a few times as that can help with that.

My Fan Missions:

Daft question , but can someone more enlightened than me let me have some information.

During this mission I havent been able to pick up unconscious bodies to turn them over/ carry them away to hide.Ive been into settings but cant see which action to change.I dont play very often now , but before the latest incarnation I think this used to be done with the U key? Which setting if any so I have to change to do this action again? Is there a reset button to put all controls back to their original settings? Thank you for any help.

Daft question , but can someone more enlightened than me let me have some information.

During this mission I havent been able to pick up unconscious bodies to turn them over/ carry them away to hide.Ive been into settings but cant see which action to change.I dont play very often now , but before the latest incarnation I think this used to be done with the U key? Which setting if any so I have to change to do this action again? Is there a reset button to put all controls back to their original settings? Thank you for any help.

Somewhat counter-intuitively it is the use inventory item button, which defaults to Tab I believe. So frob the body then hit tab (or your use inv. item key) to shoulder it.

My Fan Missions:

Thank you , will try it!

This actually worked. Thank you! Man that

LAVA everywhere on the ground

really makes you think how to navigate around!

Glad you are enjoying the mission!

About your problems, it's pretty strange that the shipping company safe is having frob problems. Sometimes if you hit the book in the brothel twice in quick succession it can cause the loot to become unfrobbable. But a standard safe shouldn't have this problem. Have you tried to open the one in the the watch lobby yet? If you have trouble there as well I would lean towards it being a bug on your end, otherwise try to open and close them a few times as that can help with that.

• Like 1

This actually worked. Thank you! Man that

LAVA everywhere on the ground

really makes you think how to navigate around!

Glad you got it sorted out, it's kind of an engine weakness with TDM, but if you can recognize the bug usually you can solve it with some extra frobs.

You found the lava challenge huh? ^^ Yes I came up with the idea when I realized you can do almost everything in this mission without setting foot on the street itself, and just ran with it from there!

My Fan Missions:

This mission gave me a good laugh...

I came out of a building onto a rooftop and I heard the voice of a Benny guard die. At first I thought this was a glitch, as I didn't kill anyone or do anything. But then I heard the Kano voice, (my nickname for the thug), say his trademark finishing line "Now I'm gonna piss on ya'". And then I heard him do it!. I wasn't expecting him to make good on his threat!

And yes, that's where I got this name from. And... I don't think anyone else in the game says that line.

Edited by kano
  • Like 2