The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position (2019/05/04)

Bienie

5 hours ago, chakkman said:

Just finished this. Awesome mission, I really enjoyed it.

Hide contents

The difficulty was perfect, exactly the right amount of guards, and the right types as well. The story was great, and, it got carried along well with the readables. There was LOADS to do, with the different side missions you could find as well. The map was fun to explore, and the mixture of vertical and "ground stuff" (or however you want to call it) was nice, and, there were many secret places to discover. Overall, the world just seemed "full" and alive. Secret switches and doors were reasonable well to find, just right, I think. 

Again, I have to criticize the voice acting, it just isn't up to the otherwise high quality of the mission. And, I was stuck in the place I mentioned before, which is pretty much game breaking, if there wasn't noclip.

Just some minor issues in a overall great mission. :) I can only recommend to play part 1 of this series, and then this, they really build up nicely on each other. Good stuff.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review!

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

• 2 weeks later...

I really hate it when I play a mission until the very end and experience a major game ending bug. I am experiencing the same issue as others have with this mission. The locking mechanism in that desk is broken. I entered the correct code and heard something click but there was no lever revealed. This mission should be taken down from the dark mod and fixed. Bugs like this are really disappointing.

I also have the desk lever bug.  With noclip I can see the lever in the desk (I think behind the right hand centre top panel), but can't operate it, but at least I can get into the hidden room and operate the lever there!

Beautiful mission, very demanding, but so much to explore.  I'm about 150 short on loot so far, feeling slightly punished for having gone straight in on expert, but I can see this will be well worth returning to to look into the side missions and other extras.  A little less unkind on the ghosting on Expert than CoS1, where I found hiding to be cruelly difficult once inside the mansion, which gets painful when trying to find your way around... again I suspect I should have started on an easier level!

This feels like a very refined mission.  I hope the desk lever bug is fixable!

7 hours ago, esme said:

any body got a hint where I can find

Hide contents

the note from the dead thief so his loot spawns

Sure, I'll make a progressive hint system for you.

The guy was captured by the Watch and died in the prison, where he wrote his last words.

The note in question is in his prison cell.

On the right wall is a loose brick that you can frob which reveals a small cavity behind it, where the scroll is. Reading it will reveal the treasure!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

5 hours ago, Araneidae said:

I also have the desk lever bug.  With noclip I can see the lever in the desk (I think behind the right hand centre top panel), but can't operate it, but at least I can get into the hidden room and operate the lever there!

Beautiful mission, very demanding, but so much to explore.  I'm about 150 short on loot so far, feeling slightly punished for having gone straight in on expert, but I can see this will be well worth returning to to look into the side missions and other extras.  A little less unkind on the ghosting on Expert than CoS1, where I found hiding to be cruelly difficult once inside the mansion, which gets painful when trying to find your way around... again I suspect I should have started on an easier level!

This feels like a very refined mission.  I hope the desk lever bug is fixable!

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the mission and found the challenge level enjoyable. Ghosting CoS1 is indeed tough, though it is possible to supreme ghost it (no first alerts, no extinguishing lights). I hope you will get even more enjoyment out of replaying and going for side missions and challenges! Expert level is mostly meant for replayability or those who like punishing difficulty, as are the optional challenges.

It does seem like quite a few people have run into that pesky lever bug now, even though my testers or I have never been able to reproduce it. I suspect it's not easily fixed, but I think I might just remake the mechanism to remove that bug. There are a couple more "quality of life" fixes I've been meaning to add anyway. I guess I will take a break from mapping CoS 3 to take care of it, should only be a few days work.

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Enjoyable mission (especially considering the modest file size), I didn't see the lever bug, but, I'm not sure if this helps; I did see a bug with most of the safes where opening it first time makes the contents unfrobbable, but closing it and opening it again makes them frobbable. (every alternate time opening/closing results in unfrobabble contents).

I also ran into the glitch where the completed objective is removed

Spoiler

after dumping Warin's body and collecting the reward. Noclipping to his body and re-dumping him completed the objective again. 

Apart from that, very nice, although perhaps readables could have been reduced just a tiny bit (maybe 20%) in the Watch area.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peanut said:

Enjoyable mission (especially considering the modest file size), I didn't see the lever bug, but, I'm not sure if this helps; I did see a bug with most of the safes where opening it first time makes the contents unfrobbable, but closing it and opening it again makes them frobbable. (every alternate time opening/closing results in unfrobabble contents).

I also ran into the glitch where the completed objective is removed

Hide contents

after dumping Warin's body and collecting the reward. Noclipping to his body and re-dumping him completed the objective again. 

Apart from that, very nice, although perhaps readables could have been reduced just a tiny bit (maybe 20%) in the Watch area.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes I will look into the chest mechanisms as well as they are a bit unstable.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 2 weeks later...

An update has been released and is available in the in-game downloader!

Changelog:

ver. 1.1 is mainly a bugfix release, making a few of the mechanisms more stable.

The secret office door in Rawlyn's apartment is now controlled directly with the code dial.

There are a few other small changes, including removal of some sub-par voice lines.

The fence's office is now explorable, making it easier to identify to the player.

Several guards had the same name and now have their own.

A few carpets were not applying the carpet sound when the player walked on them. 

There were some floating items in the bakery that have been rested on the shelves.

The various safes in the mission have not been changed, though some players were having trouble with them. I don't know of a way to make them better, and they're not broken just need to be opened twice in some circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Fan Missions:

4 hours ago, Bienie said:

An update has been released and is available in the in-game downloader!

Changelog:

Hide contents

ver. 1.1 is mainly a bugfix release, making a few of the mechanisms more stable.

The secret office door in Rawlyn's apartment is now controlled directly with the code dial.

There are a few other small changes, including removal of some sub-par voice lines.

The fence's office is now explorable, making it easier to identify to the player.

Several guards had the same name and now have their own.

A few carpets were not applying the carpet sound when the player walked on them. 

There were some floating items in the bakery that have been rested on the shelves.

The various safes in the mission have not been changed, though some players were having trouble with them. I don't know of a way to make them better, and they're not broken just need to be opened twice in some circumstances.

Thanks for that. 👍

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Swiggy said:

For what it's worth Bienie, I didn't get any game-breaking bugs and didn't have to noclip to get into the secret room like a lot of others. Guess I was lucky. Great mission too!

Also your update suggests the removal of sub-par voice lines. I haven't checked but I hope "Now I'm gonna piss on ya" hasn't been removed otherwise there'll be hell to pay! 😄

Thanks! Glad you didn't have any problems. The voice lines in question were those that I myself recorded, so no need to worry the pissing thug is still awful as ever! ^^

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

On 1/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, Swiggy said:

Can you double-check this please? I've already completed it but still figured I should probably download the latest, but I'm not seeing it in the download list.

I just redownloaded it from in game and it seems to be giving me the correct version. Do you have the old one in your downloads? If so you need to delete it from in the game for it to show up in the downloads list again. If you don't see it in your downloaded missions or in your list of missions to download you should look in your fms folder for "cos2_precpos" and delete that folder, that should make it show up again for download.

• Thanks 1

My Fan Missions:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 10:08 AM, Summer said:

Bienie, this had to be one of the best TDM missions I've played. So damn good. Please make more like this. Nothing about it I didn't love ❤️

Thank you for the high praise! CoS 3 is coming along well, and will hopefully be able to live up to this mission while tying up the loose ends.

• Like 4

My Fan Missions:

• 2 months later...

Wow! Wow! Wow! I really enjoyed this mission.  Can't go into detail as I can't remember how to hide on here lol but I loved it. I really liked the extra objectives that were added as well as the Challenges. Took them all on except for the lava, will save that for a second play through. Thanks for all your hard work. Look forward to more from you. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 11:33 PM, Thiefette said:

Wow! Wow! Wow! I really enjoyed this mission.  Can't go into detail as I can't remember how to hide on here lol but I loved it. I really liked the extra objectives that were added as well as the Challenges. Took them all on except for the lava, will save that for a second play through. Thanks for all your hard work. Look forward to more from you. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :) The spoiler tag is used by putting [ spoiler ] (without spaces) in front of what you want to hide and [ /spoiler ] (without spaces) at the end. Always interested to hear more in depth commentary!

CoS3 is almost all there, though there are some time consuming parts left that I have to get to. Still hoping for an early summer release.

My Fan Missions:

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, The Elusive One said:

Trying to do the completionist challenge and have done all the hidden objectives except one where I can't figure out how to get the objective.

Hide contents

The Andrew objective is the one. I have what I need and I know where he is, but I need help on how to get the objective please.

Hello! Here's a bit of a hint for you.

You have to pick up the greenish-looking special potion in the secure lockup. Then make your way to the kitchen, now drop the potion on the table next to where Andrew is laying, close to him. If I'm not mistaken I think there is a health potion that spawns there, basically just take the health potion and replace it with the special one. If you already picked up the health potion, a trick you can do is to hold the special potion in front of you and move it around along the top of the table until the objective ticks off, then leave it there. Hope that solves it for you!

• Thanks 1

My Fan Missions:

5 minutes ago, Bienie said:

Hello! Here's a bit of a hint for you.

Hide contents

You have to pick up the greenish-looking special potion in the secure lockup. Then make your way to the kitchen, now drop the potion on the table next to where Andrew is laying, close to him. If I'm not mistaken I think there is a health potion that spawns there, basically just take the health potion and replace it with the special one. If you already picked up the health potion, a trick you can do is to hold the special potion in front of you and move it around along the top of the table until the objective ticks off, then leave it there. Hope that solves it for you!

You misunderstand, I know how to do it, but I don't have the objective at all. It is still hidden.

What do I have to do to get the objective in my list in the first place?