The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position (2019/05/04)

Bienie

6 hours ago, The Elusive One said:

You misunderstand, I know how to do it, but I don't have the objective at all. It is still hidden.

What do I have to do to get the objective in my list in the first place?

Ohh. I see. I wonder how you knew that you need to do it then. The objective is added once you read Caroline's journal. It is

in one of the three (or four? memory is fuzzy) desks in the main hallway of the top floor in the watch station. It should be in the one facing east unless my bearings are off. It's slightly hidden because it's wedged in on the right side. So it's not the paper report that's out in the open, there should be a book behind it in the desk.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

35 minutes ago, Bienie said:

Ohh. I see. I wonder how you knew that you need to do it then. The objective is added once you read Caroline's journal. It is

Reveal hidden contents

in one of the three (or four? memory is fuzzy) desks in the main hallway of the top floor in the watch station. It should be in the one facing east unless my bearings are off. It's slightly hidden because it's wedged in on the right side. So it's not the paper report that's out in the open, there should be a book behind it in the desk.

When the completionist challenge didn't check off, I eventually came here to see what I was missing. Your first post listed the objectives, so that's how I knew.

Unfortunately I have now done all main objectives (except returning home of course) and all 6 optional objectives that you list as required for the challenge, but the challenge objective does not tick off? Does the completionist challenge require all the other challenges to be done as well?

18 minutes ago, The Elusive One said:

When the completionist challenge didn't check off, I eventually came here to see what I was missing. Your first post listed the objectives, so that's how I knew.

Unfortunately I have now done all main objectives (except returning home of course) and all 6 optional objectives that you list as required for the challenge, but the challenge objective does not tick off? Does the completionist challenge require all the other challenges to be done as well?

The scroll for the completionist challenge says it I think: it will only tick off when you are close to home, basically when you go to the catwalk thing leading from the rooftops. Unfortunately that was the only good way I found at the time to implement it. For CoS 3 I have a new system that seems a bit more robust, and will tick off completed as soon as all side missions are completed. If I make an update on CoS 2 I will change it here as well. But for now, if all your side missions are complete (and no, the other challenges are not required as they would conflict), and you've made it to the balcony outside the home base and it didn't tick off, there must be a bug. If you haven't tried going there yet I would do that first.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

10 hours ago, Bienie said:

The scroll for the completionist challenge says it I think: it will only tick off when you are close to home, basically when you go to the catwalk thing leading from the rooftops. Unfortunately that was the only good way I found at the time to implement it. For CoS 3 I have a new system that seems a bit more robust, and will tick off completed as soon as all side missions are completed. If I make an update on CoS 2 I will change it here as well. But for now, if all your side missions are complete (and no, the other challenges are not required as they would conflict), and you've made it to the balcony outside the home base and it didn't tick off, there must be a bug. If you haven't tried going there yet I would do that first.

Went and stood on the balcony outside, no change. No matter, I know I did what's needed, that's good enough for me. 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Elusive One said:

Went and stood on the balcony outside, no change. No matter, I know I did what's needed, that's good enough for me. 🙂

Ok, sorry you ran into a bug, I'll put it on the list for a potential update. I hope you enjoyed the mission!

My Fan Missions:

• 1 month later...

Niiiiiiiiiiice and secret-rich FM :D

Desk lever  bug here too.....

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 4 months later...

Absolutely loved playing through this mission, especially all the detail in the readables.

I found 8 of the secrets on my playthrough and came to this thread to get hints for the others.

One remaining thing I can't locate:

Spoiler

Lots of mentions about an optional objective regarding Warin (who I've already met and knocked out) but I can't figure out how to trigger the objective.

Edited by Clumsy Oaf
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clumsy Oaf said:

One remaining thing I can't locate:

Reveal hidden contents

Lots of mentions about an optional objective regarding Warin (who I've already met and knocked out) but I can't figure out how to trigger the objective.

A bit more exploring and almost immediately I answered my own question. For anyone else needing a hint, I needed to

Spoiler

read a notice on the noticeboard next to the terrace of The Tender Rose.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely stellar mission. I love the little notice board side quest system. Very innovative. I have to try the astronomer's challenges yet. I did run into that game breaking lever bug. Very abrupt end to the immersion, though the mission is still one of the best. I initially thought that the note mentioning the code could be changed was some sort of hint and spent quite a whiles trying different things, rereading the readables and searching everywhere only to realize it was a bug in the end. Still, thanks for the work you did here. Missions like these are among my favorites.

EDIT: I figured out that it is connected to the "Open Doors on Unlock" option. You can see the effect in game by toggling it on or off and attempting to open the door both ways. If the option is on, as I prefer to play, then the door does not seem to work properly. If the option is set to on, as is default, then all works as intended.

Edited by ate0ate
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 6:09 AM, ate0ate said:

Absolutely stellar mission. I love the little notice board side quest system. Very innovative. I have to try the astronomer's challenges yet. I did run into that game breaking lever bug. Very abrupt end to the immersion, though the mission is still one of the best. I initially thought that the note mentioning the code could be changed was some sort of hint and spent quite a whiles trying different things, rereading the readables and searching everywhere only to realize it was a bug in the end. Still, thanks for the work you did here. Missions like these are among my favorites.

EDIT: I figured out that it is connected to the "Open Doors on Unlock" option. You can see the effect in game by toggling it on or off and attempting to open the door both ways. If the option is on, as I prefer to play, then the door does not seem to work properly. If the option is set to on, as is default, then all works as intended.

Thanks for the praise and the feedback! I thought I had fixed that lever thing... I know it's related to "open on unlock", unfortunately I designed the map without knowing how that setting even works. I'll keep it in mind, maybe soon I will get around to making an update.

My Fan Missions:

6 hours ago, Bienie said:

Thanks for the praise and the feedback! I thought I had fixed that lever thing... I know it's related to "open on unlock", unfortunately I designed the map without knowing how that setting even works. I'll keep it in mind, maybe soon I will get around to making an update.

Maybe there should be some kind of warning before the beginning of the mission so that the player enables "Open doors on unlock". 

I also ran into this bug when I first played that mission (amazing nevertheless), and spent a significant amount of time trying different things because I --just like ate0ate-- thought that the note mentioning that the code could be changed was some sort of hint :D 

• Like 1

The Dark Mod Database: https://tdmdb.com

I think that since either way it will require an update I'll just figure out a way that it will work with either setting to begin with. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though!

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

• 4 weeks later...

There is now an update available in the in-game downloader that fixes a few bugs that people have been running into. Most importantly the map should now be completable with the "open on unlock" setting turned off. There are a few quality of life changes as well, but objectives, loot and geometry were left untouched.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Fan Missions:

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Azaran said:

Trying to find...

Reveal hidden contents

Andrew's bed to place the potion

Spoiler

You have to go down to the kitchen in the basement. Andrew is in the corner and the drop spot for the potion is on the edge of the table where there is a normal health potion.

If you have other things you get stuck on I recommend checking out the hints section in the OP, it covers most of the things players would have problems with.

My Fan Missions:

• 6 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bienie said:

Hello! Here's a bit of a hint for you.

Hide contents

You have to pick up the greenish-looking special potion in the secure lockup. Then make your way to the kitchen, now drop the potion on the table next to where Andrew is laying, close to him. If I'm not mistaken I think there is a health potion that spawns there, basically just take the health potion and replace it with the special one. If you already picked up the health potion, a trick you can do is to hold the special potion in front of you and move it around along the top of the table until the objective ticks off, then leave it there. Hope that solves it for you!

Ooo, Bienie, thank you very much for that hint! I couldn't complete this one last night when happilly replaying your mission. Now I know what to do, thank you! 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This one was great fun as well. Several times when I thought I went through a particular part of the neighborhood I suddenly found a new place I haven't seen or a new way to traverse the area. Despite that I spent some time reaching the loot objective, the last 100 gold was a bit of a pain, only to find out upon finishing there's almost 1500 gold left who knows where and to recall that I saw an entry into the sewers which I forgot to explore at all. Oh well.

The readable about being trapped in the city and the one mentioning boofing made me laugh. I also thought it was funny that one of the brothel rooms and the interrogation room contained almost the same tools. 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 6:43 PM, vozka said:

This one was great fun as well. Several times when I thought I went through a particular part of the neighborhood I suddenly found a new place I haven't seen or a new way to traverse the area. Despite that I spent some time reaching the loot objective, the last 100 gold was a bit of a pain, only to find out upon finishing there's almost 1500 gold left who knows where and to recall that I saw an entry into the sewers which I forgot to explore at all. Oh well.

The readable about being trapped in the city and the one mentioning boofing made me laugh. I also thought it was funny that one of the brothel rooms and the interrogation room contained almost the same tools. 

Glad you enjoyed it! I don't think you missed much by not going in the sewer, it's only meant as an optional entry into the Watch station, no loot down there. You found some of the hidden readables there huh? There are a few of those strewn throughout the place ^^

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Thanks again for the missions Bienie. 🙂 Some big fun.  I am re-playing your COS Missions on a Supreme Ghost Run. Need a bit of help on this one with one secret.

Spoiler

I have 12 of 13 secrets and have determined that it is the secret in the wine cellar I am missing. I actually went back to all of the other secret locations to double check. They are all done. Am assuming the wine cellar is in the basement down below the balcony where I started the mission. I have been through there a lot of times. But I can't find a keg stand in the south corner with a golden wine cup behind two mugs. I have climbed and crawled and leaned all over the place. I even went into the bar area where the cash box is just in case. There is a 3 keg keg stand in there on the south wall but nothing is on top of it. Have re-loaded the game a few times and nothing changes. Also I read about the Completionist thing where you have to be near the end point for it to tick off. Tried that just in case.  Didn't work for me and I didn't think it would. The last secret I picked up said 12 of 13 Secrets. Am for sure one secret short. So what am I missing? Is there another wine cellar I missed or am I having a glitch?

Am going to load up Sacricide and get started while waiting for the reply.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:46 AM, Sneak said:

Thanks again for the missions Bienie. 🙂 Some big fun.  I am re-playing your COS Missions on a Supreme Ghost Run. Need a bit of help on this one with one secret.

Hide contents

I have 12 of 13 secrets and have determined that it is the secret in the wine cellar I am missing. I actually went back to all of the other secret locations to double check. They are all done. Am assuming the wine cellar is in the basement down below the balcony where I started the mission. I have been through there a lot of times. But I can't find a keg stand in the south corner with a golden wine cup behind two mugs. I have climbed and crawled and leaned all over the place. I even went into the bar area where the cash box is just in case. There is a 3 keg keg stand in there on the south wall but nothing is on top of it. Have re-loaded the game a few times and nothing changes. Also I read about the Completionist thing where you have to be near the end point for it to tick off. Tried that just in case.  Didn't work for me and I didn't think it would. The last secret I picked up said 12 of 13 Secrets. Am for sure one secret short. So what am I missing? Is there another wine cellar I missed or am I having a glitch?

Am going to load up Sacricide and get started while waiting for the reply.

Great that you are having great fun with the mission! Supreme Ghost is great fun, I've tried it on this one myself and it is not super challenging and perfectly doable. Might be a little tedious to return all keys, but that's possible too ^^

As for your missing secret:

Spoiler

Yes like you were suspecting it's a different wine cellar. Maybe my hints section isn't clear enough. The one with the secret is in that little alleyway you can also see in CoS 0, the "red light district". The door right below the thieves' highway platform leads in to it.

Once in there you need to look behind the keg stands in the south (?) end of the room!

Are you doing perfect supreme as in getting all the loot? I guess one of the side missions would conflict there, since it requires a knock-out. I guess the mission is either supreme ghostable or perfect thief-able but not both.

My Fan Missions:

• 2 months later...

I can only add my praise to that of others on an astoundingly good mission, @Bienie. The only think beyond that I think I can offer is that some of details needed for the side missions required me to go back to read the original mission repeatedly -- or, when I got smarter, to save a game there -- so I could re-read, e.g., where someone lived or where I was to pick up the payment, which felt a bit tedious. For example, what is described in the objectives as an alley is more accurately described on the billboard, and none of the Objectives mention pay-off spots.

The sole thing TDM lost from The Metal Age is the ability to annotate maps and otherwise make notes for myself and I wonder if someone wiser than I can think of a way to incorporate note-taking into the game so that, e.g., I can remind myself in-game which areas I have completed, rather than needing to take notes on a piece of paper or something.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, gluon1 said:

I can only add my praise to that of others on an astoundingly good mission, @Bienie. The only think beyond that I think I can offer is that some of details needed for the side missions required me to go back to read the original mission repeatedly -- or, when I got smarter, to save a game there -- so I could re-read, e.g., where someone lived or where I was to pick up the payment, which felt a bit tedious. For example, what is described in the objectives as an alley is more accurately described on the billboard, and none of the Objectives mention pay-off spots.

The sole thing TDM lost from The Metal Age is the ability to annotate maps and otherwise make notes for myself and I wonder if someone wiser than I can think of a way to incorporate note-taking into the game so that, e.g., I can remind myself in-game which areas I have completed, rather than needing to take notes on a piece of paper or something.

I'm glad you enjoyed your playthrough. I agree that having the ability to annotate the map would be most useful. I'm sure it's possible to do but not within my capabilities. I can think of a way to have the game do it for you but it would not work with multiple side missions seeing as you can't predict which mission the player will pick up first. Food for thought though.

My Fan Missions: