The Dark Mod Forums

Material dependent slide sounds

Jedi_Wannabe

Regarding issue #4991, Id like to help if I can by giving you guys some sound samples.

Ive got some moderately decent equipment I think can be utilized to capture some ladder slide sounds. Ive got a Behringer C-1 mic and an AKAI EIE Pro audio interface that need to see more use.

Ive only ever really used it to record some garage band jam sessions. Unless you know audio brands thats all pointless info, what Im getting at is this: despite using it in a non controlled chaotic atmosphere, we got really decent levels and it sounded alright for having 5 instruments going at once.

In a controlled environment where I can focus on just one sound, I think I could really capture some viable samples.

But before I get out all the cables and turn a closet into a recording booth Id like to have a really solid plan so I can execute all the recording in one go. Or in as few sessions as possible.

So how best to go about this?

What materials do we need? (Metal, wood, vines/foliage)

What variables are we looking for? (Gloves/no gloves, if gloved then fabric or leather, speed, length of slide, friction coefficient from pressure applied, do we want that satisfying squeak from the palms/fingers as they drag across a smooth surface)

What factors/variables are most desirable for this particular project? I want to have a real solid plan of attack and thorough steps laid out in a notebook, so the longest aspect of the recording process will be saving/naming each file.

What do you guys think? I want to help any way I can so lets form a plan!

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

I think the only materials needed would be metal ladder, wooden ladder, rope, and foliage.

Our thief model has leather gloves (at least on the palms).

I'm not sure how the sound would be played...presumably a loop that starts and stops by code, which could make things more difficult.

Ok, so gathering the materials and testing should be easy, capturing the samples should be easy too.

From there I dont really know how to make loops. I record into Studio1 and can cut and edit samples then export them however we need to send to the appropriate parties to loop it if need be.

My only experience with looping is with real-time instruments/vocals via a looping pedal but thats not at all applicable here.

Sliding down a chain doesn't strike me as very realistic, but I think you're right that the rules allow it.

This should be fun. So I'm thinking I'll get some rope, chain, various leafy slides, wood sounds with fingerless leather gloves. The length of samples then need be long enough to make a loop out of, so a few seconds in length?
The hard part will only be finding the time to do it.

Edit: Ooh, what about sliding down banners/tapestries, is that a thing?

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

That's what I thought. I suppose it won't hurt to get extra samples. If they're usable, great.

While I gather ideas and materials, I'm gonna search the threads for looping tutorials (I swear I just saw one the other day but didn't save it). One step at a time though, I might have to rely on someone else for that.

I'm not sure how the sound would be played...presumably a loop that starts and stops by code, which could make things more difficult.

The code support is already there. The snd_shaders and references to them in tdm_player_thief just have to carry the appropriate suffix.

@Jedi_Wannabe:

When you're done recording, we'll help you getting those sounds into tdm so you can test them yourself.

In idTech4 (TDM's engine), it is possible to specify separate sound files for leadin and for the looping part in your sound shader. Just keep this fact in the back of your head: You could produce a lead-in sound and the actual looping sound.

Regarding howto actually produce a loop, I don't really know how it's done, but I assume it works in a similar way as in image processing:

Cut your sample in half, swap the order in which these parts play out, cross-fade the parts so you don't notice the cut.

• Like 1

Cool, very good to know, Ill be keeping that in mind while recording.

I wish I had time for a trial run with the hardware and software over the weekend. I may have just used my whole window for the day troubleshooting.

Long story short I forgot I had never used this machine to record with yet so I hadnt put the drivers for the audio interface on it yet. Took me an hour and a half to realize lol, BUT every ever aspect is falling into place perfect (except for time).

Its rebooting now, unfortunately I hear my 1 year old stirring from her nap so Ill have some actual progress tomorrow probably. Definitely high on my list of priorities; got another recording project Im trying to knock out back to back.

• Like 1

So only had time for one quick recording sesh about 5 min long. I managed to get just a few samples of the vine slides, and it sounded alright. The leafy branch I used sounded awesome and quite believable with my eyes closed. Only issue, I forgot how sensitive this mic truly is. I could hear my computer fan seven and half feet away. So today I'll redo them after I adjust a few variables and hope for better test results.

But the good news is everything is working finally, haha.

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

Thanks Orb, Ill reach out when Ive got real results.

Been a crazy week, so Ive no real progress to report on this particular project.

Good news though, after I did some tests to eliminate background noise, a voice project had a successful/smooth recording session.

So its looking up, now it just comes down to time. I really hope to get to this next week.