The Dark Mod Forums

Customizing a guard's uniform color appearance

mcmike1489

How do I customize the uniforms of a guard by changing the color of their clothes if I wanted to create my own mission with a guard type that is specific and create a completely new guard family? For example, Bafford, Ramirez, Constantine guard, etc.

Edited by mcmike1489

You would need to find the clothing texture and make your own version, make a material file for it, and then make skin swapping the two materials. Not trivial if you're not familiar with those steps.

It's something you should probably leave until near the end of your mapping process. By the time you get there, you'll have a better handle on what some of those things mean, or someone will be willing to help you out.

to find all the skin materials used on an AI they are in the AI's md5mesh file, its a text file so the names of the materials used can be read from each mesh definition in the file.

then you create a skin file and replace the materials you need to replace to get the effect you need.

if its not an ai then you can look at the def file to find out which model it uses, if its a ase file then it's a text file and you can open it to find the materials used,

if its not an ase file then you need a binary/hex editor to read the file to find what materials is used.

the def file will also say if it has a skin file, the skin file makes easier to change the skin of a object.

an AI's head is a seperate md5mesh file, you can create a custom AI def file to make an AI use the same head. it you change the skin on a head.

you sometimes need to do this because the game places random heads on the AI for variety.

Edited by stumpy

you sometimes need to do this because the game places random heads on the AI for variety.

The only time the default head is not used is if the mapper changes it manually. There is no randomness involved.