The Dark Mod Forums

IT'S ALIVE!

AluminumHaste

Just now, grayman said:

Then why is there a discussion of using github and Sourcetree?

It's just my suggestion, and it does not look like it's getting traction ATM.

The svn is down, and it's been for a while.

I would think that converting the repo to github might be faster than waiting for @taaki to restore svn and easier to maintain in the long run. Not mentioning git's superior branch/merge ability.

Well, I would be strongly in favor of a move to Git. Yes, it is initially more complicated than svn and has a learning curve, but once you're past that you end up with workflows that are just superior (imho). Particularly in a distributed team context as we have here.

Also, if we ever want to actively attract new developers to join or at least contribute to the project, I believe there is no alternative. The private SVN repository is a hassle and huge turn-off in that regard.

11 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Definitely not.

SVN is and will be the main version control in the nearest future.

Ok, thanks.

IMHO if we do move to github in the future, I'd rather see it done with a good plan that includes implementation, instructions for gh newbies (not all repo users will be developers), and testing that all takes place while SVN still allows us to get our work done.

I'm not in favor of a switch during the temporary outage we're currently experiencing. We'd inevitably screw something up in our haste to get the repo back online.

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

Btw. one thing that I'd address sooner than later would be disabling guest accounts. And implementing https.

Good catch...there were a few areas where guests could reply to posts...I've turned that off.

• Thanks 1

As the Mission list is currently inactive, I'd like to suggest we leave a little notice on that page. Something along the lines of "We're currently providing our website and servers with some maintenance, the mission list and DL links will be back soon. Thank you for your patience.". Currently, there's nothing to indicate its maintenance. To the eye of a newcomer unfamiliar with TDM, it almost seems like we're promising the world on the site, but no missions have been released.

Imagine if someone comes to the site after getting hyped for TDM, only to find nothing in the missions list. They'll think we're pulling their leg. Bad word of mouth for TDM, regardless of how minor, can put off a lot of people. Especially the fickle types that like to interpret everything in the worst possible hues. Better not give those types ammo, if any of them would run into the site while taaaki is making the necessary hardware and software maintenance.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Petike the Taffer said:

As the Mission list is currently inactive, I'd like to suggest we leave a little notice on that page. Something along the lines of "We're currently providing our website and servers with some maintenance, the mission list and DL links will be back soon. Thank you for your patience.". Currently, there's nothing to indicate its maintenance. To the eye of a newcomer unfamiliar with TDM, it almost seems like we're promising the world on the site, but no missions have been released.

Imagine if someone comes to the site after getting hyped for TDM, only to find nothing in the missions list. They'll think we're pulling their leg. Bad word of mouth for TDM, regardless of how minor, can put off a lot of people. Especially the fickle types that like to interpret everything in the worst possible hues. Better not give those types ammo, if any of them would run into the site while taaaki is making the necessary hardware and software maintenance.

Even if download links are dead it still makes sense to show the mission list, with a warning

• Like 1

Do you still need help reconstructing the site (especially the mission list)? I am an experienced developer and administrator, maybe I can help?

It's a bit of a bummer that the small status window on the right has disappeared. It was kind of nice for casual conversations for which you don't want to open a whole new thread. When you click on the "Create" Button at the top, you can actually create a status message, but there doesn't seem to be a way of viewing other people's statuses, is there?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there any possibility (or configuration on my side) of having notifications have the ability to give the "goto first unread message" or "goto this particular notification/message"?   Right now the notification seems to just be a link to the beginning of the thread, which isn't that efficient.

• Like 1

I think this has been mentioned before, but showing the list of names of people reacting to your post was also a cool feature. It's like additional mean of expression, when e.g. someone writes something and you agree, or want to thank them without writing a post.

2 hours ago, peter_spy said:

I think this has been mentioned before, but showing the list of names of people reacting to your post was also a cool feature. It's like additional mean of expression, when e.g. someone writes something and you agree, or want to thank them without writing a post.

Agreed.  I haven't seen any option to enable it, unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

On 8/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, Sneaker said:

Is there any possibility (or configuration on my side) of having notifications have the ability to give the "goto first unread message" or "goto this particular notification/message"?   Right now the notification seems to just be a link to the beginning of the thread, which isn't that efficient.

I know it's dumb but you have to click on that tiny white circle instead of the thread's title to go to the first unread post. Yeah, tiny. little. circle. ?

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

22 hours ago, SeriousToni said:

I know it's dumb but you have to click on that tiny white circle instead of the thread's title to go to the first unread post. Yeah, tiny. little. circle. ?

ahh, i see that now in the "Activity" area... hadn't really seen that area.  i think a link like this will work for me ok ad others can be customized:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/discover/followed-content/&stream_read=unread&stream_date_type=relative&stream_date_relative_days[val]=365&stream_date_relative_days[unit]=d

• 2 weeks later...

I've been over the custom colour fields and can't find anything that changes that background.  I've lowered the default text to a very light grey so at least you can see that there's text there.  Can't do more than that without reducing the readability everywhere else.