The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus

2 hours ago, revelator said:

Hmm besides hairworks being a pain with AMD i have not had any truble with witcher 3 either, i can even play it at max settings minus hairworks on my sapphire R9 390 with more than than 30 fps.

Amazing considering that GPU is much worse than mine, and I couldn't max TW3 completely.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, chakkman said:

Amazing considering that GPU is much worse than mine, and I couldn't max TW3 completely.

AMD cards have a tendency of aging gracefully :) but it also depends on the rest of the machine.

Atleast i got lucky pairing it with my old rampage iv extreme and 3930K and even today it still runs every game i can find

with acceptable FPS > 30 though some would prefer > 60 FPS.

Its due an upgrade shortly though if any of the RX 6800 XT models get avaliable that is 😁

I can tolerate under 60 FPS so long as it doesn't become unplayable (as in aiming and movement aren't seriously impeded). I'm still pushing this GTX 970 as far as it can go, and surprisingly it can still modern games fairly acceptably with some compromises. I suspect much of it is due to the fact that I'm running 1080p @ 60 Hz and newer cards seem to have a focus for targeting monitors with higher resolutions and refresh rates. There's probably other modern games that are gonna struggle on this card, but I don't play many new AAA titles anymore and things like Cyberpunk 2077 are the exception, not the rule.

There is a benefit though. At some point I'll have to upgrade, it's just gonna be necessary. I don't want to do it now because decent video cards aren't cheap and again, I don't play enough modern titles on a high enough resolution/rate to justify the expense. But eventually it'll be necessary, and when that day comes, I can just replay CP 2077 on the highest settings and it'll be like a whole new experience! Most people don't seem to replay games anymore, but I still do so that's an easy way to breath fresh air into a title.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Me2 bro :) still playing games as old as the first blood.

I dont much care for graphichs quality anyway if a game is thrash otherwise, so some oldies are a mainstay even if they look dated by todays standards.

Most games today are locked at 60 fps max anyway so untill recently i did not see much point in upgrading.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revelator said:

as for witcher 3 check this out ->

https://ibb.co/rZrsNR7

that is with 2 compilers running in the background on 12 threads hence the high temps ;) and everything on ultra besides hairworks at resolution 1920x1080

Hmm, not bad. Except for the fact that you're ENCUMBERED!!!

Also, what crazy person puts White Honey as one of the valuable hotkey potions?

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Had Used one of the strength decoctions 😁 but it had run out when i reentered the game after turning osd on to get framerates, the white honey is just for quickly removing any potion effects like nightvision which looks rather black/white in daylight.

Need to clean my inventory badly hehe.

2 hours ago, revelator said:

Had Used one of the strength decoctions 😁 but it had run out when i reentered the game after turning osd on to get framerates, the white honey is just for quickly removing any potion effects like nightvision which looks rather black/white in daylight.

Need to clean my inventory badly hehe.

To be fair I shouldn't really talk, my setup for hotkey items is fairly tame in comparison - food, thunderbolt, swallow and tawny owl, but only because in major fights the latter three are often needed at once and the first is just useful to hit occasionally when I remember I have that skill active that allows food to last for 20 mins. Boring but effective, although this is a replay and I'm now up to Novigrad after finishing velan. There are more powerful potions/decoctions but I only normally use them from the inventory screen.

I've never gotten up to toussaint so maybe this is just higher-level stuff I've yet to encounter, but what are those three ability icons next to the full inventory one (the icons that have plus signs in them)? They can't be potions/decoctions because there's no toxicity.

Edited by Xolvix

they are bedrest royale buffs, after you beat the game you get your own wine estate and a royale bed plus your own alchemy lab. Also dependeding if you do the "turn and face the strange" quest you get a major boost to mutations which has some interresting options like turning ard into a northern wind like ability.

Cool. That's what I'm looking forward to actually, since when I first finished Witcher 3 it was a while ago, back before Blood and Wine. It felt rather empty finishing up at Kaer Morhen with absolutely no-one else there, plus the major characters disappeared so you couldn't even chill with them afterwards. I'm of the understanding that B&W is intended to be played afterwards and it's basically another game of sorts, so that's good to look forward to.

But serious this fucking game, it's almost too long! I know that sounds odd when it's mostly good stuff and not a lot of filler, but it does take a while. I'm not using to spending weeks and weeks (or possibly months) finishing a single game, certainly not as an adult.

3 hours ago, Xolvix said:

Cool. That's what I'm looking forward to actually, since when I first finished Witcher 3 it was a while ago, back before Blood and Wine. It felt rather empty finishing up at Kaer Morhen with absolutely no-one else there, plus the major characters disappeared so you couldn't even chill with them afterwards. I'm of the understanding that B&W is intended to be played afterwards and it's basically another game of sorts, so that's good to look forward to.

But serious this fucking game, it's almost too long! I know that sounds odd when it's mostly good stuff and not a lot of filler, but it does take a while. I'm not using to spending weeks and weeks (or possibly months) finishing a single game, certainly not as an adult.

Heh yeah it can feel a bit long in the end but its tons of fun :) B&W will also have you up against a higher vampire forget about eredin... this guy is trouble as you newer seen before.

Hearts of stone also gets you to meet up with your old friend shani and a guy who made some rather poor choices in life (hint he is immortal) and while that may seem cool this sorry fella does not think so cause he sold his soul to get it and got a heart of stone as a bonus. You will beat the devil at his own game ;) nuff said.

9 hours ago, Arcturus said:

Have you played Hearts of Stone?

I have. I admit to letting O'Dimm take Olgierd's soul because frankly those dudes made a pact and I didn't feel like interfering with it. But now I suppose I get to choose the alternate, and what I assume is the harder option.

Not that it matters, since according to the Internet I'm playing it "wrong" anyway - apparently I should be playing on Death March with enemy upscaling on, whereas I'm playing on Blood and Broken bones with upscaling off. Oh well. 🧙‍♂️

Edited by Xolvix

Well its easier, but you miss out on the best steel sword in the game :) olgierds.

Also if you are a completionist the wiper silver sword can also only be had if you save olgierd.

Olgierds sword has a rather funny buff, you can charge it with your own stamina and pretty much onehit anything in the game with a charged strong attack. Carefull though you might kill your self if there are many enemies and you spam it.

Well, something to look forward to. I do remember the first fight with Olgierd and that sword. It was... memorable. :)

I used to be more of a completionist back in the day, when games were smaller and I had more time. But with modern open world games, oh hell no! I mean I do take the time to do a reasonable number of ? on the map, but even the completionists I've read have regrets about all the undiscovered markers in and around Skellige. I also look at all the craftable weapons and armour I've got diagrams for and the vast majority I will never craft and end up just taking space when scrolling through the list.

I recall CDPR mentioning how CP 2077 will be somewhat smaller than Witcher 3, which I'm actually happy with because it looks like there will be at least three distinct paths ("life paths") to go through, and I generally prefer games which are shorter but more replayable as opposed to going through an exceedingly large game only once or twice.

Edited by Xolvix

definatly worth going for the grandmaster wolven armor and its the easiest of that bunch to get :)

you can apply up to 3 different oils to each sword with this gear (does not matter for the steel sword though as there is only one oil that applies to that "hanged mans venom") and you can throw bombs without delay.

It's quite interesting how varied people's playstyles are. I'm currently working on upgrades for the Griffin gear set because apart from the viper gear (which is more training gear than anything), Griffin seems to have the lowest level requirements per each upgrade and hence you'll be able to use them earlier than most other Witcher gear sets. It was my first proper witcher gear set that I crafted so I'm sticking with it for now. But by sheer coincidence, it looks like Griffin is most useful for people who use signs a lot and I was doing that already, so it's an accident match. :)

Also the only time I ever use bombs is to blow up monster nests, never in actual combat. I try to use oils when in difficult combat but I keep forgetting to do so, possibly because I have so many of them now I keep forgetting which colour oil is useful for which enemy, or even which class a monster is in to use the appropriate oil. Having to flick to the bestiary during combat to work out which oil to use breaks the flow quite a bit. That's why I just hotkey Thunderbolt.

• 2 weeks later...

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/k8kcbu/cyberpunk_2077_review_thread/

Initial reviews are out. General consensus is the game is buggy as fuck despite all the delays. In fact some reviewers are saying the game is buggy to the point that it impacts enjoyment. From the PC Gamer review:

Too bad almost every serious dramatic beat was undercut by some kind of bug, ranging from a UI crowded by notifications and crosshairs failing to disappear, to full-on scripting errors halting otherwise rad action scenes. What should've been my favorite main quest venture, a thrilling infiltration mission set in a crowded public event, was ruined by two broken elevators. I had to reload a few times to get them working.

It's a bit confusing but I don't believe these reviews were running under the day 1 patch so maybe that'll help somewhat. I heard that Witcher 3 was also pretty buggy upon release and patches fixed most things. I got into the game late so by the time I started playing W3 I had gotten the lion's share of updates already. So who knows, Cyberpunk 2077 might follow the same route. I have seen some leaked footage of the game running under consoles and when they bug out, oh man it's obvious.

Still, it looks like the game is pretty good despite the bugs. I can deal with jank; some of my favourite games have tons of jank but are still compelling enough to play.

Edited by Xolvix