The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus

Jokes are fun and all, but when I read the parallel universe about the country where I live - Moldova, I got to say, I didn't expect this to hit so close home. Need to stop doomscrolling maybe. Today, we're just an inch from getting here: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Soviet_Union#Moldova

Just replace Ukraine with Russia.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, STiFU said:

Which ones? Honestly, I feel like CP77 (on PC) is the most beautiful game right now, dethrowning God of War.

Crysis3 for one :) looks absolutely amazing on highest settings, also one of the few game engines that actually get SSAO

right, witcher 2 and 3 also had SSAO but im allways getting weird artifacts with it on (especially on foliage).

Mass effect andromeda also has some places that shine, and prey (not the original) though the original also looked quite good it comes nowhere near any of these in fidelity. Newer games like no mans sky and assasins creed oddesey.

• Like 1

Well, despite my initial enthusiasm for the game I'm gonna give up on it for a while. It's raw, it's so damn raw. Even ignoring the bugs (of which there are varying degrees of seriousness) and performance issues (some of which can be mitigated by patches, others just by upgrading), ultimately the game is just incredibly sterile. You have this amazing looking city that does nothing but serve as the backdrop for quests. That could be argued is common in the open world genre, but hell in GTA V you can interact with random NPCs and potentially piss them off, make them run, react to your reactions. Here they do nothing but crouch if you scare them. Police spawn in behind you, you don't get into car chases unless it's a scripted event... actually you know what, just browse the /r/cyberpunkgame subreddit for things to make fun of.

There's a definite rough gem in there, people have praised the quests themselves (when bugs aren't ruining the experience), but it's just dull in-between and too many game systems are broken or not polished enough to make it worth my time. I get more fun out of playing the older Deus Ex games than this. Also I know this is a facet of game development, but looking at the E3 2018 gameplay demo, the character creation menu and how it changed along with how the same quests shown in both the demo and the final product have turned out, is just embarrassing. So much was cut.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 2

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

15 hours ago, Xolvix said:

So much was cut.

It's double the irony keeping in mind that Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines was one of the main inspirations for the game.

At least CDPR may have the money, time and generosity to update Cyberpunk for free. They said they're working on a free next gen update to Witcher 3 as well. Tbh CDPR games were always jank. Witcher 1 still randomly crashes and glitches. It's all the more obvious with a game on the scale of Cyberpunk scale. Much easier to hide the bugs in a more linear game. Begs the question if anyone really needs open world when the devs can't do it?

Update: owners of the console copy can get a refund - https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1338390123373801472/photo/1

Et tu, Brute?

Edited by Anderson
Elon Musk is not amused.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Meanwhile, I've found my groove in the game and am now thoroughly enjoying it. I guess I'm lucky in that I have a pretty beefy system to play on and also haven't encountered any major bugs - the smaller ones I've seen don't worry me too much. But gameplay and story-wise, so far the game matches pretty much what I enjoy playing, so if the story doesn't take a completely disastrous turn down the road, I'm already fairly certain I'll be finishing this game more than once :)

• Like 2

On 12/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, cabalistic said:

Meanwhile, I've found my groove in the game and am now thoroughly enjoying it. I guess I'm lucky in that I have a pretty beefy system to play on and also haven't encountered any major bugs - the smaller ones I've seen don't worry me too much. But gameplay and story-wise, so far the game matches pretty much what I enjoy playing, so if the story doesn't take a completely disastrous turn down the road, I'm already fairly certain I'll be finishing this game more than once :)

Game's crashing on me every 5 minutes at the moment, including the occasional bluescreen. I am on a 3060 Ti, which might just be too new, I recon! It was released on december 3rd, so the drivers might not yet be the best. I am going to give the game another shot next year. In its current state, it is really not enjoyable. 😞 

I already started to enjoy it quite a bit, 'though!! So I am a bit bummed out about not being able to continue the game. I am also quite curious how flexible the storyline actually is.

• Like 1

Bummer. You could try this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/107

It contains a few unofficial improvements and apparently a fix for at least one particular kind of crash that some people are experiencing, related to AVX instructions. Perhaps that's what you're dealing with, too?

• Like 1

Most crash dumps say something about gpu crash related to dx12. Not sure if that mod would help with that.

Error reason: Assert
Expression: <Unknown>
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)

Then there are also some dumps with Access Violations and null-pointer exceptions even.

I think I'll just wait, no big deal. I was just curious to look at the game with the new GPU. I've seen it now, looks amazing and it will still look amazing in a month or two, so no harm done! 🙂 

What GPU are you running the game on by the way?

After 14 hours spent in the game I finished the prologue. I'm playing on GeForce Now (bought a subscription for a month). Usually game starts quickly, but from time to time one has to wait in a queue. One time it took very long, but changing server in settings helped. There's some video compression, but it's not bad. Chroma subsampling makes small menu fonts a little less sharp.

I haven't got any crashes or show stoppers so far. There are glitches in this game for sure, mostly visual like missing animations. It can spoil the experience a little bit. I saw a major character play idle animation after they where killed. Kinda creepy. Or a character failing to holster weapon during cut scene resulting in him holding multiple objects in the hand. There's plenty of movable objects in the game, which is great. Problem is there are stacks of objects that sometimes will shake or even explode when player enters the area and physics kick in. Sometimes objects break a bit to quickly when player or an NPC push them. I saw cars trash into stuff making objects fly over the place.

Cyberpunk has almost identical structure as Witcher 3. You have monster contracts (here it's contracts for cyberpsychos), you have bandit camps (here it's gangs). Looting is the same as Witcher which can brake the immersion a little bit. Realistic graphics and first person perspective are very immersive, just walking around gives me this unsettling feeling of being lost in a big city. But the world is littered with randomized loot. There are futuristic high tech containers in the middle of the busy street, you open it and you find one guitar pick. There are health boosters everywhere. You quickly end up with dozens of machine guns and pistols which you can dismantle on the fly for crafting components. I have to fight myself to not to pick up every ashtray and soda can. It's very gamey just like Witcher, just here it may be a little bit more jarring then in a tpp fantasy game.

So far quests can be finished in multiple ways. I had very different outcomes to missions they showed in previews. I try to play stealthily, which takes longer. You can't pick up and throw objects, but you can distract enemies by hacking different devices. Game doesn't have separate nonlethal weapons but it has nonlethal weapon mods, which I haven't tried yet. You sneak by crouching. There's no leaning, except when you aim with a gun from behind the cover you will lean automatically. Enemies aren't very forgiving, they spot you pretty quickly at least on hard difficulty and when you alert one guard whole base is alerted.

So far it's been addictive, but I think I would advice to wait. They said there will be another hotfix this week and bigger patches in January and February. The game needs polishing for sure.

• Like 1

It's only a model...

58 minutes ago, STiFU said:

What GPU are you running the game on by the way?

It's a 2080 Ti. Needed the horse power for VR dev :)

I haven't actually measured performance in Cyberpunk, all I can say is that it feels adequate to me. I'm not running the absolute highest settings, since my monitor's resolution is 3840x1600, but do have raytracing enabled. Looks awesome, DLSS really does a great job.

• Like 2

Hey, I have an OLD PC, not a crappy PC. :)

(actually it's not even that old - it's just the GPU that's outdated, but it runs TDM perfectly so who cares)

In other news, Sony has had enough of this shit...

Sony/PlayStation will offer full refunds to those who have purchased Cyberpunk. - SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/cyberpunk-2077-refunds/

SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store. SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund. Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

3 hours ago, revelator said:

kinda weird that the ps4 cannot run it 🙄 the gfx chip is based on amd's R9 and mine runs it perfectly on pc,

so must be something else.

What confuses me most is the PS5 has only been out for about a month. The vast majority of the development time for the game would have been during the PS4's reign. You'd think during this time they'd be continually targeting development such that performance would be satisfactory on it. Even now the vast majority of players are still on a PS4 (in the PlayStation ecosystem that is).

Did they just get to the point where it was nearing time to release and THAT was when they started to work on optimization, or at least an attempt at it?

3 hours ago, peter_spy said:

Also SIE: let's release Life of Black Tiger

Aye, there's spin on this from both Sony and CDPR. But did the developers of Life of Black Tiger put out a press release putting the onus for refunds onto the console manufacturer, making them look like dicks if they didn't hand out guaranteed refunds? Bet you CDPR did not communicate their apology to Sony ahead of time, with the intent that people would be angry at Sony (until they did something like this), taking some of the heat away from CDPR in the meantime.

Maybe I'm just mad because I got fucking played. I wasn't overwhelmingly hyped for it, but I was intrigued by the 2018 E3 demo just like everyone else (the first time an E3 demo captured my imagination since the Half-Life 2 one). It looked amazing, and there was no reason to doubt CDPR could pull it off after what they had achieved with Witcher 3. I suppose in the end it's a good lesson about hype.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

LowSpecGamer is a nice channel. Subscribe or bookmark it. It has a non-U.S. focus which is rare (U.S. gets almost everything cheaper).

It's been a slow few months for that channel since the pandemic has jacked up all tech prices, Ryzen 5000 prices are elevated, and desktop Renoir is OEM only. Chips like the 3300X have virtually disappeared. Hopefully things improve next year with a wave of new APUs and more competition from Intel.

Edited by jaxa

1 hour ago, Xolvix said:

there was no reason to doubt CDPR could pull it off after what they had achieved with Witcher 3.

Just from a technical standpoint, W3 had over 30 patches for PC version only. The last console patch had number 62 or sth. It wasn't in top shape from day one either.

W3 still has some rather annoying bugs like unkillable monsters (can be rectified with a mod but it also changes gameplay rather a lot so...). Can also get around them using a trainer with the onehit kill option but you have to use the crossbow from far enough away that there healthbar doesnt show up sigh...

Do you want Springheel on your ass again?

Actually it's funny, a big deal was made regarding nudity and various naughty parts of the human anatomy, but as far as I know the customization is entirely superficial. It's only evident in the inventory and I guess mirrors, but it makes zero gameplay difference whether your character has male parts on a female or vice versa. It seems like its sole purpose is to make YouTube videos and reactions vids and whatnot. Let me know if I'm wrong though.

Also...

Edited by Xolvix

10 hours ago, Xolvix said:

What confuses me most is the PS5 has only been out for about a month. The vast majority of the development time for the game would have been during the PS4's reign.

The same thought crossed my mind. Moreover, when they started development of the game, something like the PS5 was not even remotely on the horizon.