The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus

51 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

It feels a bit like skating, her running and walking feels more like gliding over surfaces. And when she runs into something, and you keep the directional key or pad pressed, she keeps running in place, so that does look silly ;)

As for the internal monologue, it would be much better IMO, if the protagonist didn't have to say things in her head, and then say it out loud to a character in dialogue. Yes, that's how it works in real life, more or less, but it doesn't mean it's interesting for the viewer (at least to me it's rather bland or annoying).

I didn't get far yet, so I can't comment on the gameplay much (and I didn't in the previous post as well). It feels okay; again, kind of standard Remedy stuff, shooting guys with guns regardless of what paranormal force controls them (in Alan Wake it was black, here it's red and that's about it in terms of differences ;)).

Maybe if I wasn't slightly familiar with the concept of the SCP Foundation, I'd want to come back to play it every evening, just to see where the story goes. Unfortunately, as a whole, it's just okay-ish to me. Great graphics and lighting; great sound design too, as you mentioned. But other aspects didn't grab me with anything in particular (yet?).

Ok, that sounds a lot less negative now. I can live with that! 😉 Then again, you're always very critical, so I should be used to that! 😄

As for the monologue, there is actually an explanation for that. It is a spoiler, 'though, so only continue reading once you heard of "Polaris" in the game:

Spoiler

You are actually not talking to yourself, but to Polaris, another super natural force that is somehow connected to all of this and seems to live inside your head.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/17/2020 at 6:31 PM, STiFU said:

Game's crashing on me every 5 minutes at the moment, including the occasional bluescreen. I am on a 3060 Ti, which might just be too new, I recon! It was released on december 3rd, so the drivers might not yet be the best.

As this only happened with CP at first, I thought it was just a software issue. Lately, these crashes and bluescreens also happend with another game, however, which I found really suspicious. Turns out, the new graphics card has a significantly higher heat output, which made the whole system overheat. Luckily, I was able to resolve this issue with two case fans and removing the door of my PC-cabinet. I just performed a two-hour test in CP on maxed settings (with DLSS) and it didn't crash with the GPU running at 67°C. 🙂 

As a bonus, this also increased my performance quite a bit, as the GPU would previously go into thremal throttling at 83°C. 🙂

So basically, I would finally be ready to start playing CP now, hadn't I just started another game because CP wouldn't run. 😄

4 hours ago, STiFU said:

As this only happened with CP at first, I thought it was just a software issue. Lately, these crashes and bluescreens also happend with another game, however, which I found really suspicious. Turns out, the new graphics card has a significantly higher heat output, which made the whole system overheat. Luckily, I was able to resolve this issue with two case fans and removing the door of my PC-cabinet. I just performed a two-hour test in CP on maxed settings (with DLSS) and it didn't crash with the GPU running at 67°C. 🙂 

As a bonus, this also increased my performance quite a bit, as the GPU would previously go into thremal throttling at 83°C. 🙂

So basically, I would finally be ready to start playing CP now, hadn't I just started another game because CP wouldn't run. 😄

Isn't 50 degrees Celsius the optimal temperature for the long term? I mean, ideally? Are the graphics really worth it?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

12 hours ago, Anderson said:

Isn't 50 degrees Celsius the optimal temperature for the long term? I mean, ideally? Are the graphics really worth it?

My graphics card doesn't even enable its fan until it's 50°C warm. 🙂 Because of that, when the GPU is idle, it cycles periodically between 40°C and 50°C. I would actually prefer if the fan kept rotating at low speed all the time, as the occasional spin-up can be a bit distracting when working. I wonder if I could somehow configure that behavior?

I've read reviews that my GPU was 60°C under heavy load. I could only reproduce that with opening the case and putting in on my table (rather than closed and inside my PC-cabinet). Considering the GPU enters thermal throttling at 83°C, I think my current 67°C is fine.

Edit: Apparently you can control fan speed via programs like MSI Afterburner. Now, if only I could find the terms and conditions of warranty for my graphics card, I would know what I am actually allowed to do with it.

I just remember some theoretical discussions with some computer engineers. They were like talking about what would be the ideal conditions to run a computer in, with long term life of the machine being a priority. Help it work as long as possible. Like, a survival scenario stranded alone somewhere and so on. So if you want to make the computer run almost forever, one of the suggestions was to keep it anywhere between 30 C and 50 C. One of the best ways to do that, especially with intensive programs is if it's under 0 C in the environment. Now, the problem is that condensation happens at this point if the computer is cold and is then suddenly turned on. If it won't be warm, the consequences are predictable - the electronics will be fried.

But overall, what I understood from that discussion was that the colder it is, the better for the computer.

There's of course some reasonable minimum threshold temperature for the computer to run properly. AFAIK, 30 C was supposed to be enough for average machines.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Well im a radio engineer by trade and though things might have changed some over the years 80 degrees was hammered into me as the maximum allowed temperature before silicon will suffer degration :P so i usually take great steps to assure those temperatures are newer reached. So unless some wonder has happened that suddenly changed the internal structure of said components i would say keep as a rule of thumb.

This is usually a big problem with gaming laptops, because they have very aggressive boost modes that cause throttling issues in no time. If anyone reading this has a gaming laptop, there's a way to disable the boost mode. Yes, this will mean that your peak FPS is slightly lower (around 5 FPS but sometimes less), but it will result in a much more stable FPS and therefore more stable gaming experience as the FPS won't take a dive anymore because of throttling issues. You will also increase the life of your battery and laptop in general, because it will never run as hot as before.

1. Open a command prompt with admin rights.
  2. Enter the following: powercfg.exe -attributes sub_processor perfboostmode -attrib_hide
  3. Go to the advanced power options and under "Processor power management" an option called "Processor performance boost mode" will have been unlocked.
  4. Change the options "on battery" and "plugged in" to disabled and that's all.

Some people change the options to efficient aggressive, but temperatures won't drop as much then and throttling issues might still occur. It's also a good idea to take a look at the fan settings of your laptop, because quite a lot of time manufacturers will set this to silent. There's usually a program for your processor available to change this.

I usually set my fan curves myself to, in some cases i would underclock a bit if nessesary but i have not yet had the need for it "PC" my gfx card has a great cooler both performance and size wise :) and my cpu cooler is the best on the market bar watercooling "noctua NH UP 15" the downside is that i cannot use the top pcie slot because this cooler is so big it shadows it. Heavy to -> more than 1KG which is why i wont reccomend using this cooler to just anybody as you stand a real chance of breaking your mobo if the slot does not have adequate mounting. For gamer laptops i usually use an usb fan plate to place it on, and rinse the fan openings every week to make sure nothing is clogged in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The Polish consumer protection public authority is after CD Projekt now as well https://gamasutra.com/view/news/376083/CD_Projekt_faces_scrutiny_from_consumer_protection_org_over_Cyberpunk_2077.php

badge?user=andarson

badge?user=andarson

It really shows how broken the whole AAA system is. They spend 2/3rd of their budget on marketing, 1/3rd on actual development, upping the already high expectations to the ridiculous level, basically tying up a noose on their necks. And then, they either daydream and kid themselves they're able to pull it off, or straight out lie until the last minute, so they can gamble on the stock market for just a little longer. It's really sad that people had to crunch and waste their health and family relationships on this.

What's also weird to me is that nobody from management in this industry learns anything, ever. Despite all the articles on Gamasutra, reporting pieces, industry meetings like GDC and all the knowledge being easily accessible, management doesn't learn from other companies mistakes.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, peter_spy said:

It really shows how broken the whole AAA system is. They spend 2/3rd of their budget on marketing, 1/3rd on actual development

Do you really believe that? It takes years to develop such games.

Creating assets yourself, you really should know better.

Edited by chakkman

Believe? Are you still stuck in the "games are too expensive to make" era? :D

It's not about beliefs, it's data. And it's not a new thing either. AAA sector can spend anything from +100% to + 200 % dev cost on marketing. Just google a few high-profile AAA games from last decade or so. And actually find how CP budget was spent.

And talking about assets, those are actually much easier and faster to make than ever before. 3d scanning is everywhere, so is Substance and Quixel. Game companies keep huge libraries of procedural textures and materials to adjust them to any game they make at any given moment. You can bring a model to a 70-80% level of quality in hours, not days or weeks.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

Witcher 3 budget was split 50/50 between production and marketing. It will be probably be similar here.

I finished CP2077 yesterday. Still need to check remaining endings. It's a fantastic game. It's not perfect. It may not be the best RPG ever, best shooter ever, best stealth game ever, best sandbox ever, best story ever. Whatever, I had a great time, even with occasional bugs. One can definitely see the amount of work put in it. Story is shorter than Witcher 3, there's some filler in form of sidegigs, which are very similar to each other. On the other hand combination of stealth and action is great.  Most buildings have multiple doors and windows one can enter through. Some can be entered through roof, especially once you get legs cyberware that let's you jump higher. There are dozens of those, but they are small. I would prefer less but more complex maps. Other thing I'm not a fan of is looting and crafting, which are similar to Witcher 3.

• Like 2

It's only a model...

Marketing for CP2077 was much bigger. They had Keanu deal, hardware tie-ins (video cards, peripherals, gaming chairs, even stuff like shoes), tons of adverts around the world, trailers, media events – it's all in the video. The overall cost of development is estimated at around 120 milion USD (and it's also other in-house projects, not just CP), while the total cost is at 330 million. So it's closer to 2:1 on marketing.

4 hours ago, peter_spy said:

Believe? Are you still stuck in the "games are too expensive to make" era? :D

It's not about beliefs, it's data. And it's not a new thing either. AAA sector can spend anything from +100% to + 200 % dev cost on marketing. Just google a few high-profile AAA games from last decade or so. And actually find how CP budget was spent.

Beats me. It's absolutely new to me that companies give out such details about their spent budget. Usually, I don't even find an exact figure of the overall budget spent.

If you have details, please post a link. No speculation though, only official info from the company itself. Anything else is crystal ball.

Yeah, since you're a known shitposter here, you don't get to make the rules. There are figures on both gaming and biz websites, and there are detailed breakdowns on CDPR website for investors too. Do your own research, if you're curious, otherwise don't bother people with your sealioning, it's not the first time you do this.