The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Kurshok said:

If you make your dick or tits big enough in character creation, can you choke someone to death with your schlong by garroting it around their throat and cutting off their air supply, or crush their skull between your tits?

Sort of. You can't get that augmentations in character creation. But after leveling up the hacking skill a bit, you can steal the neccessary tech from a medical/military megacorp relatively early. Getting that installed is pretty costly though. And of course that tech is outlawed - so avoid getting scanned...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This game looks rather expensive to make. Still, cyberpunk is one of my favorite sub-genres of science fiction and there's just not enough (good) cyberpunk games/movies out there so I'm quite hopeful this will satisfy that desire. Hell, if nothing else it should hopefully fill that hole that was caused by Deus Ex's lack of a ending to the current series of games.

Edited by Xolvix

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

On 10/21/2020 at 8:14 AM, Arcturus said:

That site is great. I always knew how Deus Ex was supposed to be larger and more expansive and the realities of game development cut some stuff out, but I'm surprised just how many assets were not only unused but remained within the game files and COULD still have been used if the scripting was modified to incorporate them (particularly audio files like AI barks.)

By far though my favorite "cut content" is one I've known for a while. During the chapter where Paul is hiding in his apartment from UNATCO (which is of course the best place to lay low when people are after you), he asks JC to send a distress signal to Paul's mates so they can avoid being arrested or something. Turns out, there's a hidden conversation that occurs if you progress enough to send the signal but don't actually send it and just go back to Paul:

I like this because they bothered to write, record and integrate the conversation into the main game, even though you can't do much with it since you still have to send the signal to continue. But it's clear there was some intent to have you able to remain at UNATCO, perhaps with a branching path kinda like how Witcher 2 provides two different branching paths at a specific point in the game. So it's "cut content" but it's not sorta.

• Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-boss-says-cyberpunk-2077-crunch-is-not-bad-thatand-never-was

Sorry, but to me CDPR joined the likes of Naughty Dog and R* with such statements. Typically I play games 6-12 months after release anyway, but I don't buy games from such studios out of principle.

• Haha 1

Fortunately, it does matter to more and more people, even though change is slow. There will always be a group of typical junkie consumers who'll eventually shut up and get their fix of latest titles, but there's always another choice and people are making it :)

3 hours ago, peter_spy said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekt-boss-says-cyberpunk-2077-crunch-is-not-bad-thatand-never-was

Sorry, but to me CDPR joined the likes of Naughty Dog and R* with such statements. Typically I play games 6-12 months after release anyway, but I don't buy games from such studios out of principle.

TBH, I don't get the discussions about that. Crunch times are totally normal in every software developing business. It's much too unpredictable, and, with deadlines to be met, there's absolutely no way to avoid them.

I think those discussions rather hail from people with no insights, and their naive comprehensions of things they have no insights on. Frankly, CDPR stating that they won't have crunch times is rather food for the fans, and insincere at best, because, they really should know how things are going, especially when they aim for such big projects. But, hey, we're talking about the "We are so much better than Steam and everyone else!" people.

Edited by chakkman

54 minutes ago, chakkman said:

TBH, I don't get the discussions about that. Crunch times are totally normal in every software developing business. It's much too unpredictable, and, with deadlines to be met, there's absolutely no way to avoid them.

I've been working in IT for couple of years now, and my overtime is like several hours for this whole time period (paid in full). Same goes for my friends, who have more years under their belt. We already have workflows, tools, and practices to choose from to mitigate this. Severe crunch is a result of mediocre management in the game industry, not some mythical unpredictability of how software gets made.

And fortunately this is not food or clothes, where it is harder to avoid the business that thrives on people working in sweatshops. It's just entertainment, so it's fairly easy not to spend money on it, and not uphold the status quo. One less thing to feel like a hypocrite about.

Which sector is your company operating in?

I spoke to several developers, all in web development, who said that crunch time before release is pretty normal, and I know for sure that the same applies to game development. You may call that "poor management", but, it happens when there are bugs, unforeseeable problems, or features which break other stuff.

Edited by chakkman

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

And fortunately this is not food or clothes, where it is harder to avoid the business that thrives on people working in sweatshops. It's just entertainment, so it's fairly easy not to spend money on it, and not uphold the status quo. One less thing to feel like a hypocrite about.

... and it's a billion dollar business, with people investing lots of money, and many jobs involved. So, I don't think that's an argument really.

Edited by chakkman

I'm working in a multinational web development company. And there's everything you're writing about, bugs and new features breaking existing ones, all the typical stuff. None of that stuff ever required more than a few hours of overtime here and there, paid in 150% or 200% of the base rate. Definitely not 100-hour weeks that spanned across months.

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

... and it's a billion dollar business, with people investing lots of money, and many jobs involved. So, I don't think that's an argument really.

Just because people throw money at things, it doesn't make it serious or important. I think people's well being is more important, so it's my personal decision not to support the system that destroys it. I'm not asking you to do the same, just saying what I decided to do. I need neither your approval nor your dismissal.

Edited by peter_spy

I can accept that crunch time before release is pretty normal in many industries, but people have been crunching at CP2077 for months now. There's a reason so many of the developers on Witcher 3 left after development of the main game & DLC ended. As great as the games CDPR make, they're still games in the end. Software projects often go off-track and spiral out of control, but given what I've read about relationships/marriages being destroyed because of having to commit long hours for extended periods of time... for a fucking computer game... eh. Good project managers are supposed to prevent a project from getting to such a stage.

Having said this, I don't blame gamers. It's not their fault, it's the heads of companies like CDPR who accept and embrace crunch as one of those "oh well, it's how development has always been" situations, and embrace it with GUSTO. Again, some crunch I can accept. Months on end, that's ridiculous and shouldn't be hand-waved. If people think it's fine then they've lived in the bubble far too long.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Thanks 1