The Dark Mod Forums

Why I can't even see the missions?

doc.loner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi doc.loner, I also missing the missions, but you can browse the Fan mission forum. On mostly every thread starting with "fan mission:" is a download link. You can retrieve the missions from there.

• 4 weeks later...

I would have suggested also trying http://www.thedarkmod.com/missions/ , but it seems that there are no links available.. did something go wrong?

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

• 3 weeks later...

I got new PC with Win10. Installed TDM for the first time on it. When I try to download missions from in-game, though, I get message saying I can't connect to the server. Any thoughts? Has had this issue for a couple weeks now, so I don't think it's the servers? I will try to install missions via other sources rather than via in-game to see if that works.

Most went well during TDM fresh installation a couple weeks ago, except for when it wanted to install some version of some Microsoft Redistributable near the end of the install process. I kept my existing Redistributable because mine was newer. Could that cause the issue? If so, is there a way to fix whilst keeping my existing (newer) version?

UPDATE: I downloaded a couple .pk4 missions from elsewhere and put them in the 'fms' folder, where a few other folders already were, like 'stlucia' and 'trainingmission'... but when I try to install/play missions that are already on my PC, it doesn't show any missions in the list. Essentially, am unable to play TDM. Can't even start stlucia or trainingmission.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Wow. That is the issue! Come on, Windows 10; that's pretty bad. Thanks for the info!

And after I disabled 'Read Only', I was able to start downloading missions. However, when I looked away during the download queue of about five missions, TDM crashed to Desktop at some point during the downloads. Now, when I look at the folder again, Win10 has set it back to 'Read-Only'. Nice. I'll have to try and troubleshoot more on a different day ?

UPDATE: I re-set the settings today and was able to finally play. Thanks again. Will see if the settings stick after reboots. Maybe it was human error in terms of the settings not sticking last time

Edited by Darkness_Falls

The read-only is very likely an issue with Win10. You could try another installation path. Win10 has a couple of paths (especially on the C : drive) that it won't allow to be writeable. This includes some of the Programs folders. I have a designated drive for games and have not had any issues, since then.

• Like 1

if you are on windows 10 dont install darkmod into either the "Programs Files (x86)" or the "Program Files" directory as windows 10 sets all files in them to read only, they expect the read/write access to happen in the Users/<name>/AppData/ local,locallow,roaming directories

the easiest way is just to create a directory on the drive you want to use away from the program files directorys and then install darkmod into that.

things like steam work best installed away from the program file directories, due to steam constantly updating your games library it errors when it can't update because windows 10 makes the files read only, same with some mmog that update directly to their install directory.

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

Thanks! Somehow, TDM installed on my C:\ drive, which I didn't want because that's an SSD I wanted to reserve for the OS. I must have missed the option to install it where I wanted to (the D:\ drive); which I assume is possible. I'll re-install it to my D:\ drive someday and avoid that C:\ drive and "Program Files" OS-locked-down nonsense.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

And above is one of the reasons/examples why I created our installer.
More info see: http://www.thedarkmod.com/downloads/

@darkness_falls:
Please run my installer, this will set its permissions for other files too.
Just point the installer it to the folder
tdm folder. (it doesnt overwrite stuff)

• Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

there is no need for an uninstall.
(but if you want to delete tdm. just delete the folder and there is no uninstaller) 

Just move the tdm folder where you want it.
Then change the write permissions for user "everyone" at folder properties > security tab. 
Or move the folder, run my installer and during the setup (at folder selection) point that to moved folder. The installer will set the permissions automatically.
(the installer installs a nice uninstaller in the tdm folder too) 

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!