The Dark Mod Forums

A Plague Tale: Innocence

Destined

Hi all,

I think some of you might be interested in "A Plague Tale : Innocence". It is mostly stealth based, although the stealth system is quite linear and unimaginative. You usually know exactly what the game wants you to do. Instead, it focuses more on the story, which is quite interesting, in my opinion. If you like games like "Uncharted", but in a medieval setting, you might like the game.

It is already on PC, came out the same day as the console ports. It's not entirely stealth, but there are some pretty interesting concepts.

I find it best to compare it to Velvet Assassin - it's linear and you cannot save at any time (it saves at a checkpoint, making it frustrating to reach one checkpoint to another without being detected or killed).

"Let me guess - little blue men with three heads stole your sweetroll?"

I am playing at normal difficulty (on PC btw. but with game pad) and it was not that hard so far. I did die a couple of times, but it was mosly carlessness. Oh, one setting that makes it a bit more difficult is: I turned off the aiming help (there is still some, but it is far less pronounced).

I like that the protagonist uses a sling. It makes the implementation of different ammp types more realistic than with a bow. Not sure if a sling was ever considered for the Thief games, but was discarded in favour of the bow. Does anyone know something about that?

This game is supposed to be the "Last of Us" for the PC as far as story telling and emotional bonding is concerned. I've been excited for this game for quite some time, but didn't find the time to play it, yet.

I have played The Last of Us only up until half of the game (I was told I have been at the point when the story got really interesting), but unfortunately my living community dissolved at that time and I have never gotten to buy a PS3/4 myself (mainly because I would also have to buy a fitting TV, as well). It is still one of the games that is quite high on my priority list.

Thus, I cannot really compare the two emotion-wise, but the gameplay is similar regarding sneaking. If I remember correctly The Last of Us also usually had one "correct" path while sneaking. But I believe that Plague Tale is less forgiving in that combat is way harder than in The Last of Us. You are "only" a teenage girl against trained knights, after all.

• 5 months later...

I've played this for a few hours. The game looks beautiful, especially for a fairly small dev team. It looks like object and material libraries like Quixel can be of huge help when you don't have a AAA studio.  And I'd love to see at least a few of these objects in TDM :) The story and setting are interesting, although nothing game-breaking so far. As for gameplay, it's... very gamey. While the environments look very organic, the movement, player abilities, and key item placement feel rather rigid.

Btw. if you don't plan to use a gamepad, you're in for quite worse experience. M+KB controls are awfully stiff.

I did wind up playing this game a few months back (using a PC with keyboard) and it was extremely fun play and a compelling story line. The depth and dependency shared by the characters made it a care-for-others kind of game, which is nice and different. I felt the boss fights can be a bit tough but through replay and persistence, achievable. Great game in the castle/magical/monsters period of fantasy games.

For me the game is kind of special, because one of the main enemies you encounter are rats and in my job I am currently working on a project about rodenticides (i.e. rat poison). The rat infestation is of course very exaggerated in the game, but they are still a common problem in current times. Especially big cities are very prone to rat infestations and the last significant developments in the rodenticide sector date back to the 1980s, so either rats have developed resistances against the rodenticides or the rodenticides are persistent and bioaccumulation and consequently a threat to the environment. But at least we don't have to worry about the plague (for now).

The art-direction in this game is absolutely marvellous. Just for that, this game is 100% worthwhile. There were so many places where I thought to myself "Damn, why can't we just import this to Dark Radiant and play TDM in it". :D A special example for TDM-inclusion was the monastery you enter quite at the beginning.

23 minutes ago, STiFU said:

There were so many places where I thought to myself "Damn, why can't we just import this to Dark Radiant and play TDM in it". :D 

You can e.g.: https://quixel.com/megascans/library/collections/nature/CastleRuins;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on chapter 9 now, and I know what this game reminds me of: Velvet Assassin. A very flawed game I'm very fond of, mostly because of the atmosphere. Here you have something similar: fantastic ambiance and environments with binary stealth and very artificial map setups.

The problem with stealth games is that the genre forefathers set the bar so high with immersive sim approach. And games like VA or Plague feel awkwardly stiff and almost like a failure, because they ignore the whole thing almost entirely.