The Dark Mod Forums

OpenGL version?

MichaelSamuell

What is the minimum required OpenGL version to run The Dark Mod?

Will it work with OpenGL 2.1?

I have some nice vintage 7900GTX SLI system to build that I would love to run the game on.

I don't expect any bells and whistles like soft shadows etc, just playing on minimum settings.

And If it works now, will it work in the future? like some engine update that will require OpenGL 3.3 or 4.

Please for info.

• Like 1

TDM 2.07 is the last version to target OpenGL 2.1

2.08 will be targeting 3.1

Sorry, we don't have resources to maintain that kind of compatibility (and neither the old hardware to test on)

If anyone wants to add a legacy backend port we'll accept that contribution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 2:52 AM, MichaelSamuell said:

What is the minimum required OpenGL version to run The Dark Mod?

Will it work with OpenGL 2.1?

I have some nice vintage 7900GTX SLI system to build that I would love to run the game on.

I don't expect any bells and whistles like soft shadows etc, just playing on minimum settings.

And If it works now, will it work in the future? like some engine update that will require OpenGL 3.3 or 4.

Please for info.

Whatever happens, know that there is this:

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Zero_3 said:

So after 2.07 the engine will REQUIRE OpenGL 3.x GPU to run?

Will my Geforce 7900GTX (DX9, OpenGL 2.1) run it at all? Or there will be a CTD saying my hardware is incompatible?

I know it can sound bad for the TDM team to do that but If TDM became stuck in the past, it would never evolve and things that don't evolve are doomed to die.

Just to put things in perspective, a GPU supporting OGL 3.x is a very old GPU by today's standards, my old AMD HD 5770 was a dx11/OGL 4.x GPU and I bought it on 2009 a decade ago! You can find those (and Nvidia equivalent) on ebay very cheap. I also bet that you can buy a new low end dx12 GPU and it will run TDM very well at 1080p medium settings, also afaik this game is currently more CPU bound than GPU bound.     

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

The only reason we don't support dx9 hardware any more is we simply don't have any to test on.

And why bother? You can buy a used dx10 gpu for what, $10 now? Not mentioning even intel integrated graphics support GL3 since 2011.

2.07 dropped support for lots of ancient pre-dx9 hardware. It went largely unnoticed. We could theoretically support it as well but we didn't for the same reason.

• Like 3

I admit I'm surprised to hear there are still users who don't have OpenGL 3.1 compatible cards. I run old hardware too, such as a motherboard from 2010 (in the process of upgrading it). I've had OpenGL 4.x support for a few years now though. I would advice a video card upgrade to anyone in this situation, as such old models can probably not handle the performance requirements anyway: A simple OGL 3.1 card can likely be found for even 20$ especially if you buy a used one from a place like Ebay.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

breaking news

I just bought a used nettop to use as a home file server

Guess what max OpenGL version it supports?

three dot zero :smith:

How about downgrading 2.08 to 3.0, huh?

30-hell-yeah.jpg

What could possibly be cooler than playing TDM on a 9-year old nettop? Only raspberry pi comes to mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, duzenko said:

Oh my god, this is true!

And what is needed to support 3.0 on latest TDM?

Note that your GPU most likely does not know anything about profiles, and if you run current SVN, the context will be created using old-style wglCreateContext without specifying any requirements. Unless TDM unconditionally uses something that appeared in GL 3.1, it should work on your GPU as well as on Intel HD 3000.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Oh my god, this is true!

And what is needed to support 3.0 on latest TDM?

Note that your GPU most likely does not know anything about profiles, and if you run current SVN, the context will be created using old-style wglCreateContext without specifying any requirements. Unless TDM unconditionally uses something that appeared in GL 3.1, it should work on your GPU as well as on Intel HD 3000.

I think the only 3.1 feature in use is UBO for projection matrix, under a uniformtransform cvar

There's also the instanced draw, but only used for shadow maps

So it looks easy enough

TDM starts and creates a context but fails GL feature test

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duzenko said:

We could workaround with a runtime string replace under a special cvar?

Isn't it even worse than honestly switching to 130 and fixing everything that breaks?

I don't know exactly what would break, but I recall GLSL has many breaking changes over versions (unlike the C++ OpenGL side).

6 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Isn't it even worse than honestly switching to 130 and fixing everything that breaks?

I don't know exactly what would break, but I recall GLSL has many breaking changes over versions (unlike the C++ OpenGL side).

We could replace string first and fix the GLSL later when we know that everything works

It's a one file vs many files change

3 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Honestly, this is not worth it, imho. That spec doesnt even support fence syncs, so it would run like crap, anyway. Please lets not spend valuable time on this right before beta :)

It's not like fence sync could give it any boost

PowerVR makes good GPU's they just don't know how to make drivers except for in Apple iOS devices.

If you want TDM on PowerVR you need to make it into an iOS app...

• Haha 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

21 hours ago, chakkman said:

Cool.

Could this be used to dynamically scale the texture detail, when the frame rate drops under a certain value?

You can reduce the LOD of textures to lower than allowed by the game settings.

I'm not sure if a feature with strictly this description exists, but it could probably be scripted and tied to the frame rate if necessary.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson