The Dark Mod Forums

Free games

Carnage

Quite a few people probably don't know or don't remember that the Epic Store is giving away free games every week. As most people have very busy lives nowadays it can be difficult to remember to check the store every week. They have been giving away some pretty good games and it would be a shame to miss these. Therefore I will try to update this post every week with the games they are giving away until they stop doing it. This is obviously meant for people that are interested in downloading something from the Epic Store. This week you can download:

The End Is Nigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8DUps2QKA0

The End Is Nigh is a sprawling adventure platformer where you die a lot, but that's ok because you are probably already dead anyway.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-end-is-nigh/home

ABZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9d8YjpJgiU

From the art director of Journey® and Flower®, ABZÛ is a beautiful underwater adventure that evokes the dream of diving.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/abzu/home

Edited by Carnage
  • Like 1

Thanks for the updates.

Devilish methods.

Exclusive on Epic Store only but free games.

The only sane marketing strategies are at GOG.com these days. Only they promote the GOG Connect feature with Steam for games that publishers give a green light to.

I also hope those exclusives are temporarily exclusive on Epic Store and not for 5-10 years. But, without doubt Steam needs competition.

• Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Even tho I don't complain about the free games, I'm not comprehending what they are doing, looking at it with reason, it makes me think Epic is insane, imo they will do to gaming what they did to engine marketing, they will devalue them so much that people will not want to pay much, if anything, for games anymore. And those that end paying the heavy price is the ones making small indie games as always. When Epic games made their engine "free" they pretty much killed the engine business for indie engines and even the other top AAA engines have no choice now but be "free" to use as well. 

2 hours ago, HMart said:

Even tho I don't complain about the free games, I'm not comprehending what they are doing, looking at it with reason, it makes me think Epic is insane, imo they will do to gaming what they did to engine marketing, they will devalue them so much that people will not want to pay much, if anything, for games anymore. And those that end paying the heavy price is the ones making small indie games as always. When Epic games made their engine "free" they pretty much killed the engine business for indie engines and even the other top AAA engines have no choice now but be "free" to use as well. 

GOG also had free giveaways (Fallout 1, Grim Fandango) but usually for older games. Epic and GOG can't do it without the publisher's consent I think.

Not sure about engines. Many engines were free to begin with for indie developers like Unity? Can't hurt to have more choice right? Games are expensive enough already. 

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

I'm sure the publishers/developers are giving consent because Epic most pay them a nice amount and promise them more profit (because Epic takes less cut than Steam) by making their store more popular this way. 

Some games are indeed expensive, 60€ for a game, specially when many are play once and discard is insane.

Personally i'm starting to wait and see what free game shows up in the Epic store, right now I have 3 games on my library that were on my wishlist on steam! That is 3 games that I will not buy now.  

About Unity, at that time it add two versions, a professional version and a personal version, the personal version was free, for non commercial games, if i'm recalling well and didn't supported many of the features of the professional version, like real time shadows, to survive Unity add to blend them into one and make the engine "free" (still not open source tho).

I'm all about choice don't take me wrong, is fantastic that many people, is now able to play games that they would never be able to, unless they pirated them, at least pirates now have no excuse. But one thing is certain in the engine space (that matter) many choices is not a thing that you have now.  

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

The Epic Launcher certainly isn't the most polished yet when you look at Steam, but I'm willing to give them a shot. Quite a few games are a lot cheaper than on Steam and I know Steam has a lot more to offer socialwise and with reviews and all. But to be fair a review is just based on opinions of other people and there have been several games with horrible reviews on Steam that I actually enjoyed. And yes like stumpy said, you can obviously subscribe to receive emails, but even then it can't be difficult to remember sometimes if you don't take a look right away because you have just a week to 'buy' the game.

Edited by Carnage
  • Like 1

From now till the 19th the free game on the Epic Story is:

Conarium

Conarium is a chilling Lovecraftian game that follows the gripping story of four scientists and their endeavor to challenge what we normally consider to be the "absolute" limits of nature. Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's novella At the Mountains of Madness, but largely set after the original story.

You, as Frank Gilman, open your eyes inside a room filled with strange, pulsating noises. Patterns of lights executing a Danse Macabre on the walls is presented by a queer device on the table. Having recalled nothing other than that you’re in Upuaut, an Antarctic base located near the South Pole, you find the place deserted and have a distinct feeling of something being terribly wrong. Somehow knowing that your memories cannot guide you enforces a strange feeling of vulnerability, a familiar yet alien sensation of being a part of a peculiar whole... Soon you will discover that having used the device during the expedition, you have died but then returned subtly changed, speaking of strange memories and of strange places. You have lost something important or gained something sinister...

Explore the Antarctic base, as well as dreams and visions. Study clues and unlock secrets, whilst avoiding macabre beings at all cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUzrWv50EI

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/conarium/home

This week Epic Games is giving away 6 free games.

Batman Arkham Collection

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/bundles/batman-arkham-collection

LEGO Batman Trilogy

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/bundles/lego-batman-trilogy

I don't think these need any explanation. If you haven't played the Arkham games yet, then I highly recommend them as they do an awesome job of giving you a badass Batman feeling.

• Like 1

Conarium was cool but a tad walking simulator for my tastes, it was surprisingly very stable and bug free for the majority of the gameplay but it did add a bug that made me stuck for some time... IMO because of a bad design choice. At the end of the game, you are inside a temple and you need to get out, you have a pickaxe but it is context sensitive (bad idea), you can't bring it up unless the game lets you, so I see a wall that shows the symbol that you can break it but no matter how many buttons I pressed, I couldn't chose the pickaxe, only when I took a few steps back away from the wall did the pickaxe show up, why couldn't I bring it up near the wall, I was to use it to break the wall after all! 

• Like 1

This week's free games on the Epic Store are:

Metro 2033 Redux

In 2013, the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station Cities struggle for survival, both with each other and the mutant horrors that await outside.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised underground. Having never ventured beyond the city limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat.

Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.
But what if the real threat comes from within?

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/metro-2033-redux/home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUOCBCTRNl0

This is one of my favourite post-apocalyptic games. It's not an easy game on the normal settings (because ammo and air filters can be quite scarce) but there are also settings that give you more of those, so that you don't have to worry so much about them.

Everything

Everything is an epic, award-winning reality simulation game - where everything you see is a thing you can be, from animals to planets to galaxies and beyond. Travel between outer and inner space, and explore a vast, interconnected universe of things without enforced goals, scores, or tasks to complete. Everything is a procedural, AI-driven simulation of the systems of nature, seen from the points of view of everything in the Universe.

Narrated by the inspiring philosophy of Alan Watts, and featuring a rich score from composer Ben Lukas Boysen, Everything will give you a new perspective on life.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/everything/home

This week's free game on the Epic Store is:

Minit

Minit is a peculiar little adventure played sixty seconds at a time. Journey outside the comfort of your home to help unusual folk, uncover countless secrets, and overcome dangerous foes, all in hopes of lifting a rather unfortunate curse that ends each day after just one minute. Minit is a collaboration between Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio & Dominik Johann.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/minit/home

Surviving Mars

Colonize Mars and discover her secrets, with minimal casualties.

Welcome Home! The time has come to stake your claim on the Red Planet and build the first functioning human colonies on Mars! All you need are supplies, oxygen, decades of training, experience with sandstorms, and a can-do attitude to discover the purpose of those weird black cubes that appeared out of nowhere. With a bit of sprucing up, this place is going to be awesome!

Surviving Mars is a sci-fi city builder all about colonizing Mars and surviving the process. Choose a space agency for resources and financial support before determining a location for your colony. Build domes and infrastructure, research new possibilities and utilize drones to unlock more elaborate ways to shape and expand your settlement. Cultivate your own food, mine minerals or just relax by the bar after a hard day’s work. Most important of all, though, is keeping your colonists alive. Not an easy task on a strange new planet.

There will be challenges to overcome. Execute your strategy and improve your colony’s chances of survival while unlocking the mysteries of this alien world. Are you ready? Mars is waiting for you.

Main Features:

Building a sustainable colony in space
Building on a planet not fit for human life challenges you to build a smart, functional colony. Bad planning isn’t about traffic jams, it’s about survival of your colonists. You really don’t want rolling blackouts in a city constructed in a place without oxygen.

Individually simulated colonists
Each colonist is a unique individual with problems and strengths that influence the needs and behavior of the other colonists. Things can get really interesting if your chief scientists develops alcoholism after one too many long nights in the lab.

Futuristic Space Dome construction
Retro-futuristic super structures housing colonists, factories and commercial buildings with their own “neighborhood personality.” Create colonies that value science over everything else, while tired workers drink their pay away at a local bar, or attempt a utopia among the stars.

Exploration of Mars’ secrets
Inspired by the classic sci-fi of Asimov and Clarke, Surviving Mars holds many secrets. During each playthrough players may encounter one of Mars’ individually crafted mysteries. Uncovering these secrets might bring your colony great fortune, or terrible ruin. What is that sphere that manifested itself outside colony HUB B, and is it friendly?

Randomized research tree
Combine static and random research through experimentation, which allows for a different experience for each journey through the game. Attain new scientific breakthroughs by exploring the uncharted terrain of Mars's surface.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/surviving-mars/home

Alan Wake’s American Nightmare

In this brand new standalone experience, Alan Wake fights the herald of darkness, the evil Mr. Scratch! A thrilling new storyline, hordes of creepy enemies, serious firepower and beautiful Arizona locations, combined with a fun and challenging new game mode make this a must for Alan Wake veterans, and the perfect jumping on point for new players!
Key Features:

• Play the full-fledged Story Mode: You’ll be on the edge of your seat as you fight to stop your murderous evil double to take back your life... and change reality itself!
  • Fight till dawn arcade mode: In the action-packed Arcade Mode, you’ll need to master the Fight with Light mechanic to stay alive until dawn and beat your friends on theLeaderboards. Can you survive until sunrise?
  • Face the darkness: Twisted and dangerous enemies stalk you in the shadows. Dispatch them with the powerful arsenal of weapons at your disposal.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/alan-wake-american-nightmare/home

>observer_

What Would You Do if Your Fears Were Hacked?

You are Dan Lazarski, an elite neural detective known as an Observer, and part of a corporate-funded police unit whose purpose is to hack and invade suspects’ minds. In this future, anything you think, feel or remember can be used against you in a court of law.

The year is 2084. If you somehow survived the Nanophage, odds are you were killed in the War. Those who live have turned to drugs, VR, neural implants— anything to distract themselves from this new reality. But they can’t hide from you.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/observer/home

If there are any fans of the late Rutger Hauer, then this last one is something for them. Reviews on Steam are mixed, but hey it's free, so there isn't really anything to complain about, right?

Edited by Carnage

Q.U.B.E. 2

You are Amelia Cross, a stranded archaeologist who has mysteriously awoken among the sand swept ruins of an ancient alien landscape. Together with the distant help of another survivor, you must solve the puzzles of this forgotten world to find a way back home.

Key Features:

• Master eleven puzzle areas and solve over 80 individual puzzles
  • Explore diverse environments that expand the Q.U.B.E. world
  • Experience an all new adventure and brand new characters
  • Interact with new and improved game mechanics
  • Original musical score composed by BAFTA nominated composer, David Housden
  • Full color blind support, using symbols as a color aid

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/q-u-b-e-2/home

Layers of Fear

Layers of Fear is a first-person psychedelic horror game with a heavy focus on story and exploration. Delve deep into the mind of an insane painter and discover the secret of his madness.

Layers of Fear: Inheritance expands the plot from Layers of Fear and tells the story of the painter’s daughter, who comes back to her childhood home to face her past. Relive her experiences and witness the full scope of the tragedy that has swallowed up the family.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/layers-of-fear/home

SOMA

Doesn't really need an explanation I think, but just in case.

SOMA is a sci-fi horror game from Frictional Games, the creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It is an unsettling story about identity, consciousness, and what it means to be human.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/soma/home

Costume Quest

Costume Quest is a Halloween adventure from Tim Schafer's Double Fine Productions. In this charming role-playing game, choose your hero and trick-or-treat through three beautiful environments full of Double Fine humor and story.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/costume-quest/home

• 2 weeks later...

Nuclear Throne

Nuclear Throne is a post-apocalyptic roguelike-like top-down shooter. Not 'the final hope of humanity' post-apocalyptic, but 'humanity is extinct and mutants and monsters now roam the world' post-apocalyptic. Fight your way through the wastelands with powerful weaponry, collecting radiation to mutate some new limbs and abilities. All these things and more you could do if only you were good at this game. Can you reach the Nuclear Throne?

Nuclear Throne is a post-apocalyptic roguelike-like top-down shooter. Not 'the final hope of humanity' post-apocalyptic, but 'humanity is extinct and mutants and monsters now roam the world' post-apocalyptic. Fight your way through the wastelands with powerful weaponry, collecting radiation to mutate some new limbs and abilities. All these things and more you could do if only you were good at this game. Can you reach the Nuclear Throne?

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/nuclear-throne/home

RUINER

RUINER is a brutal action shooter set in the year 2091 in the cyber metropolis Rengkok

A wired psychopath lashes out against a corrupt system to uncover the truth and retrieve his kidnapped brother under the guidance of a secretive hacker friend. Combine preternatural reflexes, augmented tools, and the arsenal of fallen foes to tear down HEAVEN.

Cyberpunk Inspired Arsenal

Equip all manner of high-tech firearms and melee weapons to ruin all that oppose you. Employ state of the art gadgets like energy shield, dash augmentations, and the switch gun stun or hack the opposition onto your side of the fight.

Exceptional Soundtrack

Explore and battle to the intense beats of Sidewalks & Skeletons, Zamilska, Antigone & Francois X, DJ Alina and famed anime composer Susumu Hirasawa (Paprika, Millennium Actress).

Sophisticated & Brutal Combat

Blast through crowds or slow down time and hand select your points of attack before unleashing a storm of violence on the battlefield.

Story-Driven Action

Violent confrontation is a means to an end and trust is a devalued currency in Rengkok as you navigate a senseless world with the help of a mysterious hacker friend.

About Reikon Games

Reikon is an independent studio located in Warsaw, founded in 2014 by four veteran game developers whose work includes i.e. the Witcher, Dead Island and Dying Light series.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ruiner/home

The Messenger

As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival. What begins as a classic action platformer soon unravels into an expansive time-traveling adventure full of thrills, surprises, and humor.

• Dynamic, acrobatic gameplay and ultra tight controls worthy of an epic ninja adventure.
  • Character upgrades, new abilities, hidden levels, and branching paths to discover.
  • Meticulously designed 8-bit and 16-bit sprites, animations, and backgrounds in the spirit of the classics.
  • A memorable cast of offbeat villains, bosses, and associates.
  • Original soundtrack by renowned chiptune composer Rainbowdragoneyes, handmade using Famitracker.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-messenger/home

• 2 weeks later...

Bad North

Bad North is a charming but brutal real-time tactics roguelite. Defend your idyllic island kingdom against a horde of Viking invaders, as you lead the desperate exodus of your people. Command your loyal subjects to take full tactical advantage of the unique shape of each island.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/bad-north/home

Don't be so negative! ? Some people might have disabled notifications or they still did not install the Epic Launcher for whatever reason.

I actually somehow missed the notification about Rayman (although I have them enabled). So I directly went ahead and got it. :) Thx @Carnage.

• Like 2