The Dark Mod Forums

Free games

Carnage

The Long Dark is free on Epic until tomorrow night.  I can highly recommend the game if you're into survival games at all:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-long-dark/home?fbclid=IwAR3SJpBT1221mxm6o6VVARSmo941ynWre6urMzphUqb8IXYi8qcFDmIpjS0

• Like 2

Tropico 5 now free on Epic Games Store. Take it while it's hot.

I loved old Tropico games. The best, and possibly only proper take on political humor that bashes all the world powers fairly. It is not the most advanced city builder ever but it's very good. Also Tropico 5 seems the first game to have multiplayer as well.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Limbo was awesome too people.

It's just that the timing platforming was annoying. Maybe it's supposed be played on a gamepad. It wasn't Super Meat Boy with instant respawn and it's checkpoints were placed in an awkward way. Those were its problems.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Eeehh... While the art style and the game systems are neat, there's not enough content to justify the punishing RNG and excessive grind. IIRC the base game takes around 80 hours to complete, which is around 4 times (!) too much for what it offers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Eeehh... While the art style and the game systems are neat, there's not enough content to justify the punishing RNG and excessive grind. IIRC the base game takes around 80 hours to complete, which is around 4 times (!) too much for what it offers.

Ok, that's actually the first time I hear something negative about it. Many of my friends said it was awesome. I don't know though whether they finished it or not. Still, for free, one could have a look, right?

Absolutely! :) The gameplay is actually great, and I was immediately hooked when I saw the art style, as it copies my childhood-favorite comic book artist (Mike Mignola). But I still find it fascinating how devs got the idea that this game should last for 80 hours. It's like having a vast world like Dark Souls, and then cutting all of its locations down to first 4, while tweaking the mechanics in such way that the time to beat the game remains unchanged. You could say that it somewhat fits the desperate tone of the game, but it felt like cheap shot to me.

Edited by peter_spy

On 12/19/2020 at 6:54 PM, Springheel said:

The Long Dark is free on Epic until tomorrow night.  I can highly recommend the game if you're into survival games at all:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-long-dark/home?fbclid=IwAR3SJpBT1221mxm6o6VVARSmo941ynWre6urMzphUqb8IXYi8qcFDmIpjS0

Personally I tried to like that game but was just impossible the survival aspects looked very interesting, I loved how you could pick wood, create fires and you add to make your own bandages, etc but to me the start of the game was atrocious, when a game kills you, again and again and again, in the first minutes of the gameplay, because the difficulty to stay alive, is high from the start, that is just bad design, is not fun, is just frustrating.

And the way they make the camera move like a extremely drunk cartoon character, when the health is low, is really bad, is already hard to stay alive at that low health, without the camera moving around like crazy, health that btw goes low fast. Man that camera maybe the main cause for my opinion, it almost made me throw up, even turning the effect down in the menu didn't helped, because it still moved to much to me and made it next to impossible to try to survive near a fire, because the game decides to move the character, as if a tornado came and pushed the character away.

10 minutes ago, HMart said:

Personally I tried to like that game but was just impossible the survival aspects looked very interesting, I loved how you could pick wood, create fires and you add to make your own bandages, etc but to me the start of the game was atrocious, when a game kills you, again and again and again, in the first minutes of the gameplay, because the difficulty to stay alive, is high from the start, that is just bad design, is not fun, is just frustrating.

What difficulty level did you start at?  If you jump into the harder difficulties without knowing how to play the game, then yes, you will absolutely die frequently.  Those modes are meant to be challenging for players who already know what they're doing.  The game is designed with the intention that you start in story mode until you know how things work, and that you start with the easy-to-moderate difficulty levels afterwards.

And the way they make the camera move like a extremely drunk cartoon character, when the health is low, is really bad, is already hard to stay alive at that low health, without the camera moving around like crazy, health that btw goes low fast.

You only start staggering around when you drop to your last 5 hp.  If your health is dropping that quickly it's either because you're bleeding out or wandering around in the snow with hypothermia, or both, in which case dying quickly is exactly what should happen.

I started in story mode from the beginning, first with (I think) normal difficulty died and died again, even before being able to go up to the plane, was trying to harm up the cave but didn't knew how, no matter how much wood I put on the ground, used matchs and such (didn't knew I add to use the special circle menu!), started again in easy, now knowing how to make fires, was able to go up to the plane after resting, just to die next to it, even with a camping fire setup and with the cold coat in the inventory and the character supposedly wearing it, for some reason the health went way down and the camera went crazy, gave up uninstalled the game.

About bleeding out that shouldn't be it, because even thou I did die initially first of bleeding, the first thing I did was learn how to create bandages and stop the bleeding and rest, so the only other reason most be hypothermia and that happened even after I supposedly reached the plane and got the coat, gloves and such, I still died for some reason, I didn't cared to know why after that, this game is just not for me.

Edited by HMart

I should also give The Long Dark another go. I bought it in Early Access and played it quite some time then (it had only the free survival mode at that time). After it left early access I only tried the story mode for a couple of hours, but had other games that were more tempting for me.

2 hours ago, HMart said:

I started in story mode from the beginning, first with (I think) normal difficulty died and died again, even before being able to go up to the plane, was trying to harm up the cave but didn't knew how, no matter how much wood I put on the ground, used matchs and such (didn't knew I add to use the special circle menu!), started again in easy, now knowing how to make fires, was able to go up to the plane after resting, just to die next to it, even with a camping fire setup and with the cold coat in the inventory and the character supposedly wearing it, for some reason the health went way down and the camera went crazy, gave up uninstalled the game.

The game is difficult at start, because there are several things you have to look out for at the same time. A fire alone is no guarantee to keep warm. Freezing near a fire could happen, because you were not close enough or it was too windy (so you had windchill) or the fire burned out while you were sleeping. Well, if the game is not for you, it is too bad,  I think it was quite well done (even in Early Access and it has come a long way since then).

Metro Last Light free on GOG

www.gog.com/giveaway/claim

• Thanks 3

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

badge?user=andarson

1 minute ago, Destined said:

Apparently, Chinese (traditional or simplyfied) is the only languages that are supported for this title, so I see no sense to get this...

Learn the lanaguage of our new master overlords- Chinese lol.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...

Dandara is free on Epic and I can totally recommend this game, if you like innovative game concepts.

It is a souls-esque metroidvania with an interesting control concept that could be just a little more precise every now and then. You only move forward by jumping from surface to surface. There is no clear up or down in this world as it rotates frequently around you, which makes navigation challenging, but interesting. The difficulty is relatively high and cranks up quite a bit towards the end, especially at the final boss.

• Like 1