The Dark Mod Forums

Free games

Carnage

Company of Heroes 2 as well.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Tell me why: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1180660/Tell_Me_Why/

Not to be confused with the awesome song:

• Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

Perhaps this should be stickied in OP - so as not to spam further each update, it's easier for everyone interested to go here regularly to track the latest limited time free Steam giveaways: https://steamdb.info/upcoming/free/

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

badge?user=andarson

Control free on Epic right now. If you own an RTX-graphics card, this is one of the most beautiful implementations of raytracing to date. Sound is also incredible and I genuinely loved the game, although I know not everyone around the forums is such a huge fan, but considering it's - you know - free.... 😉

• Like 1

Also, next up is Overcooked 2 on Epic. Overcooked 1 was awesome in couch coop and there will eventually be a time, where we can actually enjoy couch coop with friends again, so I am definitely gonna get that game! 🙂

• Like 3

badge?user=andarson

Those three tend to be really cheap every sale anyway, but yeah, recommended. Haven't played Hong Kong yet, but quite enjoyed the other two, even though it's definitely not a genre I have much interest in. Carried by the setting, the fantasy-infused cyberpunk is very alluring.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 2

badge?user=andarson

Without any prior giveaway - Samorost 1 is now free on Steam and GOG. I didn't see any time limits for taking it:

https://www.gog.com/game/samorost_1

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1580970/Samorost_1/

• Like 2

badge?user=andarson

A couple of permanently free games I can recommend.

NaissanceE - https://store.steampowered.com/app/265690/NaissanceE/

An atmospheric first-person exploration platformer or something like that. It's a little barren, but there is just something very alluring about the abstract world. The sound-design is spot-on, from what I remember. I actually paid for it back in the day, it became free afterwards, but I can't say I regret it.

Doki Doki Literature Club - https://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

This one is very popular, but still worth mentioning. A really creative short visual novel. A paid version was recently released, with various extras, but the free one still has the unchanged main experience.

And a couple of others I have in my collection, but haven't played yet.

We Were Here - https://store.steampowered.com/app/582500/We_Were_Here/

This is a co-op-only first-person puzzle game. Technically I have played this, for an hour, but most of it was trying to figure out why our progress wasn't being saved. So unless we solve that, it may end up an unfinished project. Seems like a fun game, though, based on the first impressions; "describe what you're seeing to me" kind of puzzle solving, as you and your co-op buddy are physically separated. It's also part of a series, but only the first one is free.

Glitchspace - https://store.steampowered.com/app/290060/Glitchspace/

A first-person puzzle game, based on visual programming tasks. The steam reviews appear to be somewhat mixed, but I haven't actually read them, so can't really say anything other than it's free, and a genre I enjoy.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 1:34 AM, roygato said:

And a couple of others I have in my collection, but haven't played yet.

We Were Here - https://store.steampowered.com/app/582500/We_Were_Here/

This is a co-op-only first-person puzzle game. Technically I have played this, for an hour, but most of it was trying to figure out why our progress wasn't being saved. So unless we solve that, it may end up an unfinished project. Seems like a fun game, though, based on the first impressions; "describe what you're seeing to me" kind of puzzle solving, as you and your co-op buddy are physically separated. It's also part of a series, but only the first one is free.

Just to finish this thought since I started it. There was no save issues, we just didn't make it to the first checkpoint. :awesome:

Anyway, done with it now. It's a good taste of what I presume the whole series is about. That is to say, asymmetric, time-sensitive puzzle-solving. The latter can be mildly annoying, due to the checkpoint system, but this one is so short (less than an hour), that it's not a huge deal. Fun though, so definitely worth checking out.

This might be redundant, because I reckon this thread was intended for newer games or giveaways, but Bungie's Marathon trilogy is freely available via the Aleph One open source project.

https://alephone.lhowon.org/

I played these this past decade, just because I'm a fan of Halo. If you're looking for prehistoric, labyrinthine and fairly challenging first person shooter action, look no further. I'm not from the Doom-era of gaming, but I enjoyed Marathon for what it is. Durandal is a cool character.

• Like 1

Speaking of old games, Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe Edition (Tactical Shooter from 2003) some years ago was released as freeware (abandonware) and you can download the full game from several sites, f.Exmpl from here (Windows only)

https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=3756

VcfPzlA.png

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 8/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, Zerg Rush said:

Speaking of old games, Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe Edition (Tactical Shooter from 2003) some years ago was released as freeware (abandonware) and you can download the full game from several sites, f.Exmpl from here (Windows only)

https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=3756

VcfPzlA.png

My favorite game when i was child  :D