The Dark Mod Forums

Free games

Carnage

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 7:27 AM, jaxa said:

Such a shame that I just recently replayed quake 2 with mods. The mods already made it look quite decent, but thie version obviously is way better. I just checked it out. I love how you can just change the skybox and it changes the whole scene illumination. 🙂

I remember that I played original Quake 2 back in the day in the cellar of a pub. There was a guy with his laptop down there and we drank some beer while playing this when the other guests were upstairs at the bar. I can't remember why we were sitting in the cellar however. Suddenly he tried to touch me in inappropriate ways and said "I know a game" and I ran out of the cellar upstairs to the other guests while he continued playing quake 2. No one spoke about it, me neither. Today he is even major of this town. And the pub is in fact the one I built in my fan mission. The one with the cellar. Wow, this really seems to be stuck a bit deeper down than I thought. It must have been around 17 years ago or so. Thanks, Quake 2!

• Like 1

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

You can always try Quake 2 XP ;) https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-2-xp

-Q2 RTX "alternate" version: https://github.com/SkacikPL/Q2RTX/releases

Ah, Epic Store got "Void Bastards" freethis week. It's the perfect roguelike IHMO ;) 

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 2 weeks later...

"Yoku's Island Express" is free on Epic right now and I can totally recommend it. This game is a metroidvania, jump'n'run, pinball-game and this interesting combination of gameplay mechanics is a ton of fun. It is single-player, but it is still enjoyable to play this together by hot-seating. It is also family-friendly, so you could enjoy it with your kids or life partner or whatever. 🙂 

I played it a few years ago with my gf when we were on a holiday trip to Crete. We had some bad-weather-days, so we played this game, and it instantly lightened the mood with it's chill and positive soundtrack and holiday-like athmosphere. 🙂

• Like 2

Gravitas, first person puzzle game, Portal style, but with gravity manipulation instead of portals.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1067310/Gravitas/ (Free)

Min sys specs

SO: Windows 7/8/10 64-bit
Processor: 64-bit Quad-core Intel or AMD, 2.0 GHz or faster
Memory: 4 GB de RAM
Graphics: OpenGL 3.0+ / DirectX, 1GB Video RAM
DirectX: Version 10
HD: 8Gb free

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 3

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Project Exhibited (a little TDM clone)

A thrilling first-person action-stealth game. Play as Dana, the inventor thief, and use your gadgets to fulfill your task; retrieving a special artifact from a private art collection in a mysterious palazzo.

Guardians (!!good AI!!) can be knocked out using an electric glove, although here they wake up after a short time.

-Very nice mission, good Graphics, but only this one, good for ~30min immersive gameplay. May serve as inspiration for TDM missions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181640/Project_Exhibited/

Min

Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 2 GB de RAM
Gráficos: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
DirectX: Version 11
HD: 6 GB free

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 3

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

• Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

We went back

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1218250/We_Went_Back/

Aventura,, Horror, Indie

VEQTZK9.gif

SO: Windows 7+
Processor: Quad-core Intel / AMD 
Memory: 8 GB de RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960+
HD 8 GB free

• Like 1

Syberia 1+2 are 100% off on Steam, get it by Sep. 29

https://store.steampowered.com/app/46500/Syberia/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/46510/Syberia_II/

https://slickdeals.net/f/15302782-syberia-1-2-pc-digital-downloads-free?src=frontpage

I'm going to start writing 100% off to distinguish it from the always free games you all are posting.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

Nothing against to post always free games, I think. On Steam there are a lot of free games, but a lot of them are not really free, being either extremely short, they are just prologues to a series that later costs a kidney and a half or simple demos.
I think this is why there is nothing against posting free games that are worthwhile, offering a good time of gameplay.
What's more, in the past I have come across a Demo, 'Will Rock', which I loved, because it was relatively long and with an action that didn't stop. That is why I later bought the entire game and was completely disappointed, nothing to do with the demo.
Sort of like watching a longer trailer for a movie, then realizing at the cinema that what you've seen in the trailer were the only interesting scenes in the entire movie.

The Will Rock demo is always there https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=2758 , 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zerg Rush said:

I think this is why there is nothing against posting free games that are worthwhile, offering a good time of gameplay.

Sure, but if there are games that are free only if you get them within the next few days, that should be noted so others can jump on it immediately. Even if it's only to add them to your account without installing.

• Like 2

Naturally, this is how I have caught some games, for example Tomb Raider, but this does not exclude that it is also legitimate to post free games that catch our attention, which are not abundant either, at least those for singleplayer, because this is another, almost all the current free games are multiplayer and they are not often so 'free' either (pay2win).

Even TDM is an honorable exception, compared to what is normally offered in the OpenSource games list, which almost all seem to be 15-20 years or more, or are some clones of board games, puzzles and sidescroller.

Edited by Zerg Rush

• 3 weeks later...

Lapso: Nimbo

vft605Z.gif

The Rockrose region has always been shrouded in an aura of mystery. Its trails were walked by hikers who claimed to have seen some figures crowned by a halo of light, but that is only part of the legend... Even so, there are those who have found in these lands a frequent place of pilgrimage and offering.

First person puzzle adventure, recommended headphones because of 4D soundeffects

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1360430/Lapso_NIMBO/

Min Sys Specs

Processor: Intel G4560/Athlon 200GE or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GT 1030/RX 460 or better
Storage: 3 GB available space
Additional Notes: Target for 900p, Medium Settings, 30fps

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion

It is a first person game with simple graphics to explore an old mansion with 1000 rooms. The goal is to get to go through them.
But it turns out that you're not alone, there are also unsavory characters who suddenly appear and are eager to see what your guts look like.
Do not be fooled by the cute appearance of some spectres, the scares can be capitalized. Extremely fun, 3D and suitable for the most humble PC. Endless mode and more than 3-4 hour game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/356670/Spookys_Jump_Scare_Mansion/

• Processor: Intel Core i3 1.3 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB de RAM
  • HD: 300 MB