The Dark Mod Forums

Free games

Carnage

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The weekly Epic giveaway is Lawn Mowing Simulator. Yeah. Anyway, I scroll down to the requirements, and I see that the recommended CPUs are "AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8 * 3200) or equivalent // Intel Core i7-6950X (10 * 3000) or equivalent". You can drive a massive riding mower through the word "equivalent", but why use a niche 10-core Broadwell-E CPU as your point of comparison? The game isn't going to use all of those cores... right? Maybe it's so you can stream lawn mowing to your Twitch subscribers.

Edited by jaxa

On 6/21/2022 at 6:55 PM, Zerg Rush said:

The link I put is from the new page, I think it will be the furure valid URL of the old site

https://isthereanydeal.com

Very usefull to find good deals and giveaways from all stores out there.

The coolest thing about that site is that you can also link your steam wishlist there and also add games not on steam to your "waitlist" (which is what they call the wishlist).

• Like 2

Republique (Steam)

Help a woman named Hope escape in a thrilling and topical stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.

VgorjXL.jpg

Min

Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB de RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GT 640 or AMD Radeon HD 7550 w/ 1024 MB
DirectX: Version 11
HD: 7 GB free

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 8/3/2022 at 9:45 AM, Zerg Rush said:

Republique (Steam)

Help a woman named Hope escape in a thrilling and topical stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.

VgorjXL.jpg

Min

Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 2 GB de RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GT 640 or AMD Radeon HD 7550 w/ 1024 MB
DirectX: Version 11
HD: 7 GB free

I liked the general idea of that game, but the controls were so horrible that I stopped playing eventually.

11 hours ago, STiFU said:

I liked the general idea of that game, but the controls were so horrible that I stopped playing eventually.

Yes, the handling isn't so good. The idea is good, but being able to move the character only indirectly adds too much difficulty to the game.
It is quite complicated to have to plan the route in advance through the cameras, which above do not show the guards in motion and only the path they are going to take. Pretty messy.
For the rest it is quite well done graphically, also regarding the plot. Well, after all, it's free and it doesn't hurt to try it out.

But there are better free games in Steam, like High Entropy Challenges (FPS, stealth) and Gravitas  (First person Puzzle, remember a little bit to Portal) both very recomendable and free. 

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I thought Far Cry 1 was an excellent game - and it still is - and it was groundbreaking at the time.  Any negatives I can think of are far outweighed by the positives.  The central characters, Jack and Val, were funny as hell and I was instantly immersed.  The game continued getting better right to the end.

By the time Far Cry 5 came out I was pretty much done.  It felt like a by-the-numbers thing.

It's like after the original Far Cry the "franchise" took a wrong turn, away from what made the original game spark.

Unvanquished

t1zwafk.jpg

Unvanquished is a real-time strategy game played as a first-person shooter where evolving aliens and heavily armed humans fight for their survival.

Multiplatform, OpenSource

agGjNkg.jpg

Edited by Zerg Rush

It's been a long time since I played FC 3 and I remember little.  I did enjoy FC 3 but it seems to me that it added  an ugly crafting system and also little icons, which to me were distractions.  Nothing like the FC 1 binoculars, which were immersive.  

Is it just me, or are the Epic Games freebies becoming more and more lame? Haven't gotten one in many weeks...

Well, fair enough. They eventually had to do less expensive ones, as they all just were there to boost their store. Which obviously failed.

I wonder what happens to the games when they will (potentially) close down doors. Luckily, I have most of the ones I really want already on Steam.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chakkman said:

Is it just me, or are the Epic Games freebies becoming more and more lame? Haven't gotten one in many weeks...

Well, fair enough. They eventually had to do less expensive ones, as they all just were there to boost their store. Which obviously failed.

I wonder what happens to the games when they will (potentially) close down doors. Luckily, I have most of the ones I really want already on Steam.

It looks like they mostly confine the good giveaways to a single part of the year, like December/January. Some of them are duplicates of older giveaways that were good. Just looking at purchase history, I notice Borderlands 3, BioShock Collection, and Wolfenstein: New Order around May.

Epic Games going out of business would be perfectly acceptable to get some of the Tencent influence out of the industry. I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon, even if the Store is unprofitable. But they have given dates ranging from 2023 to 2027 for profitability of EGS. A little economic downturn could disrupt everything, not just EGS.

I imagine there would be enough time to download your game library and ensure the use of a hacked loader or something in advance of the company shutting down. There's a possibility that the game licenses (which presumably have been paid for, hence they are bleeding cash) will all be transferred to Steam and/or GOG.

I broke down to "make" an account just to get giveaways and contribute to the decline, $0 spent. I don't play many games as is, but I was interested in grabbing the PC Building Simulator back in October 2021 just in case that could be useful. Actually, it looked like some Russian accidentally used one of my email addresses and created an inert account that had never been logged in before, so I was able to take it over easily by resetting the password.

I wouldn't post EGS giveaways in this thread unless there is a really good one, since you know to just log in every single Thurs/Friday to grab whatever the latest one is like clockwork. Whereas Steam, GOG, and others don't have any kind of fixed schedule for giveaways AFAIK.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jaxa said:

There's a possibility that the game licenses (which presumably have been paid for, hence they are bleeding cash) will all be transferred to Steam and/or GOG.

No issues with that. :)

They had some really good giveaways for a time (which cost them millions, as far as I know), but, that time seems to be over. It looks like they don't believe in the success of their store anymore themselves.

Edited by chakkman

One notable case of a video game store dying was OnLive. I really loved the cloud streaming games idea on to a weak potato laptop. The amount of pixels varied. Idk if Steam Remote Play is better or worse but a platform definitely needs to be more than just another store and more than just 1 single gimmick to be profitable.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

One notable case of a video game store dying was OnLive. I really loved the cloud streaming games idea on to a weak potato laptop. The amount of pixels varied. Idk if Steam Remote Play is better or worse but a platform definitely needs to be more than just another store and more than just 1 single gimmick to be profitable.

I remember how some magic MU-MIMO technology was supposed to make OnLive viable:

https://toucharcade.com/2011/07/28/details-of-onlive-ceos-new-wireless-technology-revealed/

Now over a decade later we're waiting to see if Stadia will crash and burn. I wonder how many months I can get free just for clicking on it for the first time.

Edited by jaxa
  • Like 1