The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Perilous Refuge by Dragofer (2019/09/10)

Dragofer

• 4 weeks later...

A wonderfull mission, full of great atmosphere and cool details! I had a weird bug though: the guy in the room next to Anna tried to open the door when I sneaked by and he got stuck, so I heard a continuous thumping and thought there was a monster behind it, maybe connected to Anna's curse! Luckily while searching Anna's room he somehow got unstuck, but speaking of Anna's curse, if you update the mission maybe you could remove a hand from the chest so it makes more sense?

I also noticed that you made it so that only the lids of all containers were frobable which makes getting loot out of them much easier. Would it be possible to use a def trick or something to make this work with other missions too? Or is the only way to do that for the mission authors to implement it themselves?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

On the Download Missions page, when you go to your mission's full Description, there are a bunch of <\br> tags. Thought that might be a problem with how your description was written, as I checked a few different missions and didn't see the issue there? I tried to grab a screenshot, but somehow failed. (I think screenshots sometimes capture background TDM menus/pages instead of the active window.) And since I've already downloaded your mission, it's not on the Download Missions page for me anymore. Hopefully you can replicate :)

• Like 1

Thanks Darkness_Falls for the headsup, and @MirceaKitsune and @wesp5 for your generous reviews. No idea how the </br>'s got in there as I don't use them, but that'd be a good opportunity to bring in some fixes for other issues that cropped up after release.

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'. It's entirely possible, however, that this entity class is used in other ways as well, potentially breaking missions, but looking at i.e. St. Alban's Cathedral it looks like it's used exclusively for container bodies. I've attached that file to this post: remove .txt from the ending, then unzip to your darkmod folder.

modified_lootboxes.zip.txt

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'.

Thanks, I will test this with the next missions I will play!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks Darkness_Falls for the headsup, and @MirceaKitsune and @wesp5 for your generous reviews. No idea how the </br>'s got in there as I don't use them, but that'd be a good opportunity to bring in some fixes for other issues that cropped up after release.

As for the unfrobbable container bodies, they're all atdm:froblock entities so it should be possible to overwrite them with a modified version that changes 'frobable' from '1' to '0'. It's entirely possible, however, that this entity class is used in other ways as well, potentially breaking missions, but looking at i.e. St. Alban's Cathedral it looks like it's used exclusively for container bodies. I've attached that file to this post: remove .txt from the ending, then unzip to your darkmod folder.

modified_lootboxes.zip.txt 2.13 kB · 1 download

The br tags were added by me to the mission page. It works on the website but apparently it is rendering incorrectly in-game.

I think we should fix that on the TDM side rather than living without basic line breaking on the website side and having all mission descriptions

look like a wall-of-text...

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 12/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, nbohr1more said:

I think we should fix that on the TDM side rather than living without basic line breaking on the website side and having all mission descriptions

Why not interpret the description as markdown? The site can convert it to html and the game can, too; but no train smash if it leaves it as is.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just finished this up and really enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

Took me a long time to make it to the ship as there were so many wonderful places to explore lol. Each area was well done with a look and feel of reality back in the day.  I'm not sure about what the door hanging off the hinge above the shopkeeper led to but I seemed to get everything so maybe just atmosphere? The only negative I found was some of the lanterns seem to give off too bright of a glow but a quick shot with a water arrow took care of that. 

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more. :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@lowenz Thanks very much! But I'd suggest holding off a couple days because I've just posted version 2 in the beta forums, with a focus on improving the ship's playability and more content for the ruined house.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:20 PM, Dragofer said:

@lowenz Thanks very much! But I'd suggest holding off a couple days because I've just posted version 2 in the beta forums, with a focus on improving the ship's playability and more content for the ruined house.

Congratulations on the new version released, 2.0 looks mighty impressive so far!

Not to mention the new content in the haunted house. What the actual f happened there, story-wise? I remember last time it was just an interesting mystery, now it was a full fledged heart pumping horror chase to save my skin! I mean, a lot of dark mod missions implement a one-of zombie or ghost somewhere on the map as part of rewarding your exploration with spooks, but this one definitely stood out and thoroughly creeped me out, not to mention the windows keep glowing blue once you leave the building. As for the undead, I guess the one that comes after you in the basement is the thief you found upstairs, and I suppose the old man with a bloody head and eyes missing is the old caretaker, but who is the skeleton upstairs? Is it just coincidence, or do they look worse and worse the more you progress towards the exit through the window on the third floor? And what's the deal with the magical daggers flung at you, and the skeleton in the basement?

Looking forward to the rest of the map! :)

Edited by Silverflame3

Glad you liked the new form of the dilapidated house! And you got most of the background right:

Spoiler

The readables on the first upper floor indicate that the strange new landlord has drawn plenty of suspicion from the townsfolk: the caretaker writes that he gets jeered at when going past the inn, and the girl writes she's seen men outside sizing up the house. This ultimately leads to the landlord getting walled up in the basement, and the caretaker didn't make it out either. In the basement you see the thief who tried to make a living in the abandoned house, on the first upper floor you see the caretaker and on the top floor is the landlord (if you went back down to the basement you'd see the alcove is now empty). The knives were dropped by the thief when he came to face what happens in the house, and they get flung towards the player simply to add some extra malevolence when the player goes for the safer-looking route through the attic.

• Like 1

Absolutely loved this one, pretty much exactly what I´m looking for in a Thief mission. Great setting, lots of "side-action", well-written lore, fantastic decoration, great sound effects. I cannot stress enough how good this map both looks and sounds. Easily one of the best mod-missions I´ve ever played. And the

Spoiler

creepy house actually managed to get a scare out of me right after you take the ring from the skeleton and the lights turn on.

One slight problem:

Spoiler

I found the real dowry, but I cannot interact with it at all it seems and just finding it did not update the objective... I can only keep opening and closing the lid of the chest.

Some minor nitpicking:

I would have preferred most NPCs being neutral or going into fleeing mode when seeing you instead of everyone rushing you like a madman. The hooded thugs aka the competition would have been enough as enemy-types on the docks imo.

Some more healing items would have been nice, I found one healing potion and no other way to heal.

Thanks both for leaving your thoughts - the real dowry is quite essential, so I've uploaded v2.1 which makes the secret compartment's scripting implementation more robust (custom scripting was needed to prevent the 2 "doors" from clipping into each other and to avoid awkward situations where the player accidentally blocks the lid from fully opening and takes the loot without seeing it).

Took the opportunity to make a few more changes as well, most prominently dropping the visual alertness of outdoor AIs to 80% (a tactic that was useful in other missions like Behind Closed Doors to avoid the feeling that AIs are hyperacute).

That lantern appears normally on my end after I applied a fix for v2.0, but the bottles are a new issue because of an incorrect skin setting that I now fixed. To be sure, I've deleted the FM's own copy of the skin definitions for the lamps to make sure there's not some conflict going on, and reuploaded a new pk4 to the mirrors except Tels' mirror, for which I dont see login credentials currently.

7 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks both for leaving your thoughts - the real dowry is quite essential

Does anything special happen when you find it? I updated the mission but now my saves won´t load and I don´t want to start from the beginning, seeing as I finished the mission with the objective unchecked already. 

1 hour ago, blaa said:

I updated the mission but now my saves won´t load

I'm afraid you can't update a mission in the middle of a playthrough, but I can give you this link to my backup of v2.0. Simply go to darkmod/fms/peril and replace peril.pk4 with the one from the link.

12 minutes ago, blaa said:

I think you misunderstood, I already finished the mission, the only thing I could not do was interact with the dowry. So I just wanted to know what happens when you do interact with it.

Ah right - no, there's no visible scripted event that occurs when looting the dowry, only the objective completes.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just a heads up there is definitely some kind of bug I've just found. Currently running the game on timescale 20 watching like a surveillance camera to figure out how this man died but at some point this guard outside the boat died on the docks, setting off alerts while I was in the

Spoiler

haunted house.

20210215085603_1.thumb.jpg.45028361dc69944d531157aa6134b353.jpg

Will post a video if I can find him dying in action.

My suspicion is that this is very close to what happened to the guard near the target in Penny Dreadful 3.

Edited by V-Man339

I like to record difficult stealth games, and right now you wonderful people are the only ones delivering on that front.

Click here for the crappy channel where that happens.