The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Heart of Saint Mattis by joebarnin (2019/09/10)

joebarnin

14 hours ago, acolyte6 said:

As for those floating hammers, where do I aim my Arrows? I've managed to hit it once with a holy water Arrow, but the fire Arrow just goes past every time...

Those guys are tough! The arrows go right through them. If you aim a fire arrow at the ground at their feet, so that the explosion bursts up into them, you can kill them that way. It is hard to do, you have to aim just right. I've never gotten holy-water arrows to do damage. The most effective weapon are the mines - if they walk over them, the explosion kills them dead. There are a few land mines available when you first get into the caves.

To be honest,  got pissed off playing this after about 15 minutes. Most doors and vents are locked and require 3 picks!!!! 2 is 1 to 2 is 

normal, and u save 3 for objective items. 3 for every locked door and vent is way overkill. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 4 weeks later...

I am unable to proceed in this mission because 

Spoiler

after finally working out the puzzle in the mausoleum, I am unable to climb down the ladder.  No matter which way I try to get down, it just isn't open wide enough for me to fit.  It's as though the coffin hasn't slid over far enough.

Any help would be appreciated because otherwise I have no idea what to do anywhere else in the mission.  I have found quite a bit of loot and a couple of secrets, but I am unable to progress any farther.  

EDIT:  Never mind.  I tried it again and realized that I was standing in the way. 

But I do have one more question:  I am supposed to investigate Nehmiah, or whatever his name is.  

Spoiler

I have not been able to complete this objective.  I found some information about him, and I have turned the statue, but turning the statue doesn't seem to do anything. I've been looking around literally for hours and hours (probably three or four hours spent down there) and have found nothing related to the statue.  

I have his second journal, but not the first one. What am I missing here?

Edited by Hagatha

Also, can I kill the 

Spoiler

haunts with mines?  I've laid them directly where the feet of the shadow hits and they don't explode.  I've tried inching them over bit by bit to make sure they come into contact and still nothing.  I have even heard the mine being kicked and seen it move and still no explosion.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, joebarnin said:

Hide contents

Those guys are tough! The arrows go right through them. If you aim a fire arrow at the ground at their feet, so that the explosion bursts up into them, you can kill them that way. It is hard to do, you have to aim just right. I've never gotten holy-water arrows to do damage. The most effective weapon are the mines - if they walk over them, the explosion kills them dead. There are a few land mines available when you first get into the caves.

See my post immediately above.  

Spoiler

The land mines do nothing at all.

2 hours ago, Hagatha said:

I am unable to proceed in this mission because 

Hide contents

after finally working out the puzzle in the mausoleum, I am unable to climb down the ladder.  No matter which way I try to get down, it just isn't open wide enough for me to fit.  It's as though the coffin hasn't slid over far enough.

Any help would be appreciated because otherwise I have no idea what to do anywhere else in the mission.  I have found quite a bit of loot and a couple of secrets, but I am unable to progress any farther.  

EDIT:  Never mind.  I tried it again and realized that I was standing in the way. 

But I do have one more question:  I am supposed to investigate Nehmiah, or whatever his name is.  

Hide contents

I have not been able to complete this objective.  I found some information about him, and I have turned the statue, but turning the statue doesn't seem to do anything. I've been looking around literally for hours and hours (probably three or four hours spent down there) and have found nothing related to the statue.  

I have his second journal, but not the first one. What am I missing here?

The first journal can be found

in the cathedral, downstairs. Look for a

statue in an enclave - it is the switch which opens a niche in one of the closets off the dining room. The journal is in the niche. Read it to satisfy the objective. Make sure you take everything else in the niche

Check the hints in the first post of this thread, they are helpful (sometimes).

13 minutes ago, Hagatha said:

See my post immediately above.  

Reveal hidden contents

The land mines do nothing at all.

Just checking, are you arming the mines? If you just drop them (R), then they don't arm. If you use them (U), they drop to the ground and start ticking and will explode when the haunts walk over them.

Even so, the haunts have to walk pretty much right on top of them. You can try lurking nearby and hitting the mine with a broadhead when the haunt gets close.

Edited by joebarnin

Aha!

35 minutes ago, joebarnin said:
  Hide contents

Just checking, are you arming the mines? If you just drop them (R), then they don't arm. If you use them (U), they drop to the ground and start ticking and will explode when the haunts walk over them.

Even so, the haunts have to walk pretty much right on top of them. You can try lurking nearby and hitting the mine with a broadhead when the haunt gets close.

Aha! That would be it.

I did search the forums for instructions because I was obviously doing something wrong.   Aha!

This is a great mission, BTW.  I've found 4 secrets so far.  

I'm still stuck on the final mission objective but I suspect that last thing I need will be down in the tombs. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a huge problem with this mission. The only objective that I have not completed is an optional objective: to find Marna's ring. However, I STILL cannot complete the mission by using the front gate key on the front gate. I keep getting a message about completing my other objectives. Is this a bug? I surely hope not because I have spent a lot of time playing this mission only not to be able to complete it.

Edited by cavador_8

1 hour ago, cavador_8 said:

I have a huge problem with this mission. The only objective that I have not completed is an optional objective: to find Marna's ring. However, I STILL cannot complete the mission by using the front gate key on the front gate. I keep getting a message about completing my other objectives. Is this a bug? I surely hope not because I have spent a lot of time playing this mission only not to be able to complete it.

Spoiler

In order to leave by the front gate (and complete the mission), there are two things you have to do

1) Have the "heart" (gem) in your possession

2) Read page 4 of Neimath's book (book in the hidden compartment, in the closet downstairs). This is the objective titled "An acolyte called Neimath has recently gone missing. Investigating him would be a good start."

Have you done both of those things?

This has been a decent investigative mission. It is built and lit in a fairly plain way, and it is scaled too large, but finding and interpreting clues makes it flow well - it is well-paced and logical, neither too difficult nor too easy. A pleasant mission. I wonder, though: 

Spoiler

How do you open the secret door midway the crypts? I could see the recessed, rectangular depression in the greenish wooden planks, but didn't find any opening mechanism.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

13 minutes ago, Melan said:

This has been a decent investigative mission. It is built and lit in a fairly plain way, and it is scaled too large, but finding and interpreting clues makes it flow well - it is well-paced and logical, neither too difficult nor too easy. A pleasant mission. I wonder, though: 

Hide contents

How do you open the secret door midway the crypts? I could see the recessed, rectangular depression in the greenish wooden planks, but didn't find any opening mechanism.

Spoiler

In the same room, there are some rocks on the ground. Frobbing one of them will open the door. You may have to crouch to find the rock.

Kind of arbitrary, but there we are.

If I took the Heart of Saint Mattis from the coffin, the game keeps crashing. The light turns red, a heartbeat sound and some moaning noises are starting and then, after about 20 seconds, the game crashes.

Is it just me or is this a bug in the game ?

If it's just me it may be due to my worn out HDD. Then I'll try reinstall the mission.

Edited by ^^artin

11 hours ago, ^^artin said:

If I took the Heart of Saint Mattis from the coffin, the game keeps crashing. The light turns red, a heartbeat sound and some moaning noises are starting and then, after about 20 seconds, the game crashes.

Is it just me or is this a bug in the game ?

If it's just me it may be due to my worn out HDD. Then I'll try reinstall the mission.

Another player (peispud) ran into a crash at the same point in the mission. Here is his post:

It isn't clear how he resolved it, you may want to ping him about it? Apparently he was on Linux; don't know if that applies to you.

• 3 months later...

Just finished this up, thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to more. 

Spoiler

I found 5 out of 6 secrets and read here where the missing one was after. I liked the secret door in the green room, I had been wondering how to get behind that door. The cabinet was a bit tricky as it took me awhile to figure out that you could get behind it. I knew it was there for a reason. lol I struggled with figuring out the trick to enter the mausoleum, even with the hints at the beginning. The panels all looked the same so I just ended up pushing them randomly and eventually it opened. The part of the key was also hard to find and I ended up looking at your hints. I also was surprised to see everyone up and about including those that had been sleeping when I came back from beyond lol. I too had forgotten the heart, that was some frustration on my part as I'd made it to the gate and yet couldn't leave. 

Anyways, thanks again :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this mission.

I have a problem with the

Spoiler

safe. I can't dial anything with the mouse wheel. The three dials are highlighting but I can't dial them. (i do have the combination)

I am on a Thinkpad with Ubuntu Mate 20.04. The mousewheel is emulated by holding mouse3 and moving the trackpoint up or down. This works for switching through weapons and flip through book pages. It does not work with the dials.

Any ideas are welcome how to open the safe.

Great mission overall, I really like the extra objectives that force you to think a bit. I have 1 question left, regarding a secret:

Spoiler

I don't really know where I am supposed to shoot the rope arrow to reach the loot on the oil lamp in the cathedral. I read the solution in the original post but I need a more specific location please.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, NeonsStyle said:

To be honest,  got pissed off playing this after about 15 minutes. Most doors and vents are locked and require 3 picks!!!! 2 is 1 to 2 is 

normal, and u save 3 for objective items. 3 for every locked door and vent is way overkill. 

"2 is 1 to 2 is normal" --> what does that mean?

I am sorry that you do not like it; I for one think that the church has cool Thief vibes. I will start a rerun of this mission Sunday evening CET as I want to ghost it. :)

On 7/14/2020 at 2:52 AM, hanmin said:

I have a problem with the 

Hide contents

safe. I can't dial anything with the mouse wheel. The three dials are highlighting but I can't dial them. (i do have the combination)

Spoiler

Frob the dial and use the previous/next weapon/page keys to turn it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Cotillion said:

Great mission overall, I really like the extra objectives that force you to think a bit. I have 1 question left, regarding a secret:

Reveal hidden contents

I don't really know where I am supposed to shoot the rope arrow to reach the loot on the oil lamp in the cathedral. I read the solution in the original post but I need a more specific location please.

Spoiler

Aim for the orange globe (wood) that the lamp chains hang from:

heartstmattis_2020-08-06_21_30_13.thumb.jpg.c8d842ca0c87dd671c2d7a5cef14918c.jpg

Sorry for the delay in responding, for some reason I didn't get notified about your post