The Dark Mod Forums

"ESCAPE" key not working with 2.08 [partially SOLVED with a Workaround]

Ladro

With the newer  (and updated) version of TDM (2.07) the esc key, it's not working anymore. It seems that the key it's not recognized.

I already tried on renaming my Darkmod.cfg, but the newer *.cfg created on start has the same problem.

The first  lines are:

unbindall
bind "0x00" "_impulse48"
bind "ESCAPE" "togglemenu"
bind "SPACE" "_moveup"

Any idea/suggestion/faq to solve this?

[I'm with Linux, Kubuntu 18.04, TDM has always worked lovely on Linux for me]

[UPDATE]

Maybe it's this bug on bugtracker?

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4963

But I have problems only with the ESCAPE key.

Any suggestion will be appreciated ?

Edited by Ladro
Found a possible bug on Bugtracker already present

a small work around is to remap the key in TDM.
Change the keybind-value for "togglemenu" to another key, at a config-line in the darkmod.cfg :

for example:
bind "t" "togglemenu"
(the "t"-key because that isnt used in the config)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

1 hour ago, freyk said:

a small work around is to remap the key in TDM.
Change the keybind-value for "togglemenu" to another key, at a config-line in the darkmod.cfg :

for example:
bind "t" "togglemenu"
(the "t"-key because that isnt used in the config)

Thanks, for your suggestion ?

2 hours ago, chakkman said:

Well... this seems to be a Linux related issue, right? Bit misleading topic title.

Maybe, I don't use Windows, I don't know.

(anyway I changed a little bit the topic)

5 hours ago, freyk said:

and through the bugtracker post, you will find a link to another forumtopic. (but that is for the arrow keys) 

Ok, maybe it's a problem with Linux.

Edited by Ladro

• 9 months later...

Old topic, but same issue (after updating @2.08).

I tried inserting:

in the darkmod.cfg but nothing. Tried too on the console of the game when playing, also with other keys rather then "escape", but it's a fail. I cannot resume the "main menu" when I'm in the game, I can exit only via console but typing "exit". The first main menu appears normally, it's the bind with the escape key that it's broken.

Any suggestion to make working this bind for togglemenu in the game?

Thanks a lot in advance 🙂

17 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Inviting @cabalistic, he changed key mapping on Linux for 2.08 😀

Well, more like "applied a band-aid". ESCAPE key works for me, and unfortunately I don't have any immediate idea to offer if it doesn't for you. You could try to change your keyboard layout to an English variety, if it isn't, maybe that helps?

The whole input handling on Linux needs a major rewrite. It is completely outdated and doesn't work well on modern X systems, I'm afraid. I don't know if and when I'll have time to do that, as it's not a minor task, so if anyone wants to tackle this, please do. Might even be worth considering using something like GLFW or SDL to do window management / input handling to free us from having to deal with X and Wayland on our own...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Well, more like "applied a band-aid". ESCAPE key works for me, and unfortunately I don't have any immediate idea to offer if it doesn't for you. You could try to change your keyboard layout to an English variety, if it isn't, maybe that helps?

The whole input handling on Linux needs a major rewrite. It is completely outdated and doesn't work well on modern X systems, I'm afraid. I don't know if and when I'll have time to do that, as it's not a minor task, so if anyone wants to tackle this, please do. Might even be worth considering using something like GLFW or SDL to do window management / input handling to free us from having to deal with X and Wayland on our own...

Ok, thanks, I understand.

Just for now to play: it's possibile to recall the menu from some command by \ console  in game?

It's there a command, or I have to bind some key as mandatory to launch the main menu in the game?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Ladro

1 hour ago, Ladro said:

Just for now to play: it's possibile to recall the menu from some command by \ console  in game?
It's there a command, or I have to bind some key as mandatory to launch the main menu in the game?

I searched over the code, and it seems that loading nonexistent save opens the menu without dropping current game.
So you can e.g. execute loadGame nothing to get to menu. Of course, you can bind it to a key.
The minor nuisance is that you will have to click "ok" every time you do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stgatilov said:

I searched over the code, and it seems that loading nonexistent save opens the menu without dropping current game.
So you can e.g. execute loadGame nothing to get to menu. Of course, you can bind it to a key.
The minor nuisance is that you will have to click "ok" every time you do so.

It works perfectly! 🙂

Really thank you, you saved my day: it's a perfect workaround to have the main menu in game!