The Dark Mod Forums

Incorrect shadow mapping when using Stencil shadows + Soft shadowing

MirceaKitsune

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5055

There seems to be an issue with shadow rendering in the engine: When enabling both Stencil Shadows and Soft Shadows, shadows get incorrectly mapped and are stretched across the screen in front of the camera. I have no issues when using Stencil Shadows without shadow softness, nor when using Map Shadows both with and without soft shadows.

I'm running TDM 2.07 x64. My operating system is Linux openSUSE Tumbleweed x64. Kernel 5.2.14. Mesa 19.1.7 (amdgpu module). My video card is an AMD Radeon XFX R9 390.

I attached two screenshots from the FM Full Moon Fever: The first shows stencil shadows without softness (normal results) and the second is stencil shadows with softness (corrupt shadows).

fever_2019-09-24_03.37.34.jpg

fever_2019-09-24_03.37.42.jpg

Edited by MirceaKitsune

1. Can you run in game console:

getviewpos

and copy paste its output here?

2. Can you try the proprietary AMD drivers?

3. What is the game build number (i.e. are you on the hotfix version)?

4. Why not play with shadow maps? You card should support highest quality.

• Like 1

You should have tried at least updating your gfx card drivers or reverting from newest drivers to 1-2 versions back before posting a bug on bugtracker. It's not an engine issue, because that problem doesn't exist on many other configurations, e.g. Intel/Nvidia/Windows ones. If it was a widespread issue, it would have been noticed and caught much, much earlier.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

You should have tried at least updating your gfx card drivers or reverting from newest drivers to 1-2 versions back before posting a bug on bugtracker. It's not an engine issue, because that problem doesn't exist on many other configurations, e.g. Intel/Nvidia/Windows ones. If it was a widespread issue, it would have been noticed and caught much, much earlier.

Most likely the driver does not support the required GL extension. Not much I can do about it - short of trying the 2.08 svn version? We have upgraded all the shaders so that should fix it.

• Like 3

openSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release distribution: It uses the latest stable libraries and drivers for every component.

I won't install the proprietary driver on my machine, which could mess up my OS and take a bit of work to undo properly. The free driver is amdgpu whereas the proprietary one is amdgpu-pro: There's little difference between the two, I understand the pro version only comes with a few improvements AMD is keeping to itself.

I'll try the getviewpos command later when I play the next FM.