The Dark Mod Forums

Garrett’s home remade in TDM

Goldwell

14 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Technically it's the apartment ?

I think you’re confusing what a home and a house is :P

In English a home can be a house or an apartment or a duplex or whatever. It just refers to where the person lives.

This is Garrett’s home. That’s why he says “It’s not much but it’s home.”

That is so rad! 

I always wanted to see Garrett's home done up in TDM, or any bits of the thief missions for that matter. I'm definitely thinking you should sneak it into your missions somewhere ?.

• Like 3

Just now, kingsal said:

That is so rad! 

I always wanted to see Garrett's home done up in TDM, or any bits of the thief missions for that matter. I'm definitely thinking you should sneak it into your missions somewhere ?.

Thanks!

I too have always wondered how a thief level would feel in TDM. It only took me a good solid few hours with most of the time trying to match up the dimensions and lighting correctly. 

And even though this is just a small slice, it was still a fun little experiment to do. 

On 10/15/2019 at 5:46 PM, wesp5 said:

Is this supposed to be the home in the clockwork tower in newThief? If so, I miss a view out of the window at the roofs of the city ;)!

No it’s from a game called Thief: Deadly Shadows. 

It’s Garrett’s home in South Quarter. 

• Like 1

It's a nice idea for a tribute, but you don't have to make this a 1:1 copy. Use different materials or lighting, or maybe make it a derelict home. An interpretation or extrapolation of the topic instead of exact representation.

Edited by peter_spy

Just now, peter_spy said:

It's a nice idea for a tribute, but you don't have to make this a 1:1 copy. Use different materials or lighting, or maybe make it a derelict home. An interpretation or extrapolation of the topic instead of exact representation.

I understand your point. And I agree that when making a tribute it’s a better idea to interpret it in your own way. 

However for this experiment I literally wanted to recreate Garrett’s home exactly as it was in T:DS just in TDM.

Thats why I didn’t interpret the work because my goal was different than what you’re suggesting. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingsal said:

I always wanted to see Garrett's home done up in TDM, or any bits of the thief missions for that matter..

Or Garrett's apartment from T2. (or that whole mission-map).
https://thief.fandom.com/wiki/Garrett's_Apartment_(Thief_2)

I love the conversion, goldwell!

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

So I'm guessing this will be Corbin's or Farrell's apartment in some future mission ? ?

I've toyed with the idea of giving the protagonist of the series of FMs I am working on a flat similar to either of the two Garrett had in the Thief trilogy. Given that Goldwell has already remade the Deadly Shadows flat in South Quarter, I might try to do something similar for my guy, but based on the earlier flat G. had in The Metal Age (the one from the mission where he has to clear it up quickly and leave, because the cops are after him).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petike the Taffer said:

So I'm guessing this will be Corbin's or Farrell's apartment in some future mission ?

Nope. 

It’ll be an Easter egg place to visit. 

In Shadows of Northdale I’ve already established Corbin’s home. 

• Like 2

Just now, Goldwell said:

Nope. 

It’ll be an Easter egg place to visit. 

In Shadows of Northdale I’ve already established Corbin’s home. 

Fair enough. :)

Just now, Petike the Taffer said:

Fair enough. :)

I look forward to seeing your interpretation of Garrett’s home in your mission though! :)

4 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

I look forward to seeing your interpretation of Garrett’s home in your mission though! :)

I'd certainly like to vary it up a bit and give it more detail. The Dark Engine is simpler in this regard. So there would be stuff to expand upon visually. Maybe I could even change some of the exact layout of the inner walls, if I found the original a bit weirdly proportioned.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
typo
  • Like 1