Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Langhorne Lodge


Bienie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mission Archive server is still down but the mirrors are up:

http://darkmod.taaaki.za.net/fms/lhl.pk4

http://fidcal.com/darkuser/missions/lhl.pk4

http://www.southquarter.com/tdm/fms/lhl.pk4

http://darkmod.taaaki.za.net/fms/lhl.pk4

http://fidcal.com/darkuser/missions/lhl.pk4

http://www.southquarter.com/tdm/fms/lhl.pk4

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrMunkeepants said:

the room in the library was locked until a trigger event, and now the door is unfrobbable. Is there another way in, or is this a bug? I checked outside, upstairs, the window...

 

Yeah, I am having the same problem. :(

@Bienie: the door in question is not frobbable anymore.

Edited by JackFarmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

Yeah, I am having the same problem. :(

@Bienie: the door in question is not frobbable anymore.

It's open right? It's intentional that it doesn't close back since I wanted to set the opening time to a slow creepy pace. It wouldn't make sense that when the player closes it it's still moving as slow.

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man that was a perfect mission for a stormy Halloween night. A couple moments gave me goosebumps; really liked your use of sound.

Spoiler

The gargoyle made me laugh when he moved to the top of the basement stairs. All the little things that changed throughout were very nice touches. My 7 year old was watching me play a little bit, but the first time he saw the glowing red eyes he was like "Nope, uh-uh. That's creepy!" and left the room, hahah. 

Job well done Bienie!

  • Like 2

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bienie said:

It's open right? It's intentional that it doesn't close back since I wanted to set the opening time to a slow creepy pace. It wouldn't make sense that when the player closes it it's still moving as slow.

No, as in MMPs post, the door is closed and cannot be frobbed. That's the reason I cannot proceed (that is, I think so).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MrMunkeepants said:

the room in the library was locked until a trigger event, and now the door is unfrobbable. Is there another way in, or is this a bug? I checked outside, upstairs, the window...

(also, the rain seems to come through the overhang above the front door)

 

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

No, as in MMPs post, the door is closed and cannot be frobbed. That's the reason I cannot proceed (that is, I think so).

 

Wow that is really strange, nothing I've ever seen or anything my testers have. Can you explain what happened from entering the second floor up to the point where door stopped being frobable? Did it open and then close or never open at all?

I would suggest reloading or restarting the mission, but if this is a reproducible bug I may be able to do a quick fix.

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

Man that was a perfect mission for a stormy Halloween night. A couple moments gave me goosebumps; really liked your use of sound.

  Reveal hidden contents

The gargoyle made me laugh when he moved to the top of the basement stairs. All the little things that changed throughout were very nice touches. My 7 year old was watching me play a little bit, but the first time he saw the glowing red eyes he was like "Nope, uh-uh. That's creepy!" and left the room, hahah. 

Job well done Bienie!

Glad you enjoyed it! My 14 yo made it all the way through though she was creeping very slowly for most of it ? My GF could barely make it through the garden before she screamed and ran away from the computer though!

 

2 hours ago, peispud said:

This one surprised me. I very much enjoyed it. Thank you ?

You're welcome! In what way was it surprising?

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bienie said:

Wow that is really strange, nothing I've ever seen or anything my testers have. Can you explain what happened from entering the second floor up to the point where door stopped being frobable? Did it open and then close or never open at all?

I would suggest reloading or restarting the mission, but if this is a reproducible bug I may be able to do a quick fix.

Entering the pibrary, the door was locked; exploring a bit, I heard a noise and there was now an AI in the hallway by the stairs down and the door was closed and unfrobbable. Maybe it close the door behind it?

I tried reloading, but there might have been a condition in the save; I will try restarting - or could just noclip through I suppose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MrMunkeepants said:

Entering the pibrary, the door was locked; exploring a bit, I heard a noise and there was now an AI in the hallway by the stairs down and the door was closed and unfrobbable. Maybe it close the door behind it?

I tried reloading, but there might have been a condition in the save; I will try restarting - or could just noclip through I suppose

Same here. i go inside the library and walk to the cupboard where the letter is, and after this back to the door then the door isn't open or frobbable...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MrMunkeepants said:

Entering the pibrary, the door was locked; exploring a bit, I heard a noise and there was now an AI in the hallway by the stairs down and the door was closed and unfrobbable. Maybe it close the door behind it?

I tried reloading, but there might have been a condition in the save; I will try restarting - or could just noclip through I suppose

Exactly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is the file name of those covered chairs up in the attic by the door, the ones with the white sheets draped over them? I can’t find them in DR, but haven’t opened up your map yet in DR to inspect them in your map.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Bienie said:

Glad you enjoyed it! My 14 yo made it all the way through though she was creeping very slowly for most of it ? My GF could barely make it through the garden before she screamed and ran away from the computer though!

 

You're welcome! In what way was it surprising?

Honesty, I loaded the mission and it looked very blocky in an old time DOS gaming kinda way, then story and building interior took over. It was a very fun and well put together mission.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent small mission!

For some reason, it reminds me a little of Mother Rose.

The audio design and voice acting are top notch here.

If I were entitled to wish fulfillment, I would love it if:

Some scenes like torture or cannibalism were portrayed to the player via temporary overlays that flash horrific images

when the player enters an area.

I imagine that some lower-end players may balk at the outdoor performance a little.

Just over 30 FPS for me (perfectly playable) but I'm not sure how integrated graphics or older CPU's will handle it.

I'll try studying the scene when I get a chance,

I suspect that the use of model based modules is hampering visportal \ light carve optimizations in that area.

 

  • Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was quite a nice Autumn surprise! Not terribly big or difficult, but well-realised, and with the plus of emotional investment. Definitely strong on mood. Many fine little details make the picture even better - I liked the subtle, unsettling little changes over the course of the mission. It was all just right.

  • Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, MrMunkeepants said:

Entering the pibrary, the door was locked; exploring a bit, I heard a noise and there was now an AI in the hallway by the stairs down and the door was closed and unfrobbable. Maybe it close the door behind it?

I tried reloading, but there might have been a condition in the save; I will try restarting - or could just noclip through I suppose

 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, JackFarmer said:

Exactly.

 

That is super strange. If I do update the file I'll make sure to leave the door frobable always.

 

17 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

What is the file name of those covered chairs up in the attic by the door, the ones with the white sheets draped over them? I can’t find them in DR, but haven’t opened up your map yet in DR to inspect them in your map.

Those are actually custom still, even though you see them in a lot of missions. I asked Bikerdude for permission to use them but I think they're basically free to grab for mappers at this point.

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, id3839315 said:

This seems to be a real horror mission. As soon as I have collected 500 loot -> TAA-DAA Mission Complete! smilie_sh_019.gif

Oh my ... how did that happen? You were able to grab 500 loot before triggering the first conversation? That happened to me during testing a couple of times, but never if I triggered the conversation at the door. Did you noclip around, or do I have another bug on my hands?

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Excellent small mission!

For some reason, it reminds me a little of Mother Rose.

The audio design and voice acting are top notch here.

If I were entitled to wish fulfillment, I would love it if:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Some scenes like torture or cannibalism were portrayed to the player via temporary overlays that flash horrific images

when the player enters an area.

 

I imagine that some lower-end players may balk at the outdoor performance a little.

Just over 30 FPS for me (perfectly playable) but I'm not sure how integrated graphics or older CPU's will handle it.

I'll try studying the scene when I get a chance,

I suspect that the use of model based modules is hampering visportal \ light carve optimizations in that area.

 

 

 

Glad you enjoyed it! I would say that the mission is definitely inspired by Mother Rose but plays quite differently. The audio design was one of my priorities and I agree my GF did a good job on the voice acting.

That's a cool idea with the flashing images, though probably more complicated than it is worth in the end. I thought maybe the relative sparseness of the outdoor area would mean it would run smoothly. I'm always locked at 60 fps as my rig is still quite overkill for TDM. I guess my testers were the same way since nobody mentioned performance issues.

 

 

2 hours ago, Melan said:

This was quite a nice Autumn surprise! Not terribly big or difficult, but well-realised, and with the plus of emotional investment. Definitely strong on mood. Many fine little details make the picture even better - I liked the subtle, unsettling little changes over the course of the mission. It was all just right.

Thanks for your kind words! :)

  • Like 1

My Fan Missions:

   Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2019 at 11:07 PM, Bienie said:

Oh my ... how did that happen? You were able to grab 500 loot before triggering the first conversation? That happened to me during testing a couple of times, but never if I triggered the conversation at the door. Did you noclip around, or do I have another bug on my hands?

I've replayed it with the first conversation. Now it worked fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Recent Status Updates

    • Nort

      I did it! I finally did it! After 48 hours of frustration and confusion, I managed to finally sort out how to attach equipment to NPC:s properly, and write down coherent instructions on how to do it, both in my manual, and in this forum.
      I can finally rest. I can finally eat breakfast.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      Spent most of the day learning and writing about AI navigation. It's stuff I already know, but the magic about writing something down as clearly formulated as possible, is that you then see things that much more clearly. You also find what's unclear to you, and then you figure out exactly how things work. I was hoping to get through it all within just a day, but it looks like this will take tomorrow as well, at this rate. There's also plenty of other nonsense I have to get through as well. Everything's a chore.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      I want to be a fish, but I'm not a fish. My mom wants to be a fish too, and so she's killing herself eating plankton and sh***ng blood, and tells me to stop nagging her about taking her medication. I spent several hours today, just lying in bed, having anxiety over just existing, and not being a fish. You fish, you don't know how lucky you are. You can eat all the plankton you want. I tried eating plankton again yesterday, and I just got sick. I hate being a shark.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      I just gave myself vertigo. A pleasant kind of vertigo, like the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I'll explain:
      Yesterday I saw to my dismay, that I had made my entire map two - two - units too short on every level - that every set01 piece was sticking 2 units into the ceiling. That's basically 402 brushes that needs to be realigned (minus the ground floor brushes).
      I knew enough about selections to do all of that in a very tense five minutes, and it compiled without leaks. (Thank you so much, Dark Radiant devs, for making an editor with such care for precision that you can align hundreds of brushes perfectly at once (which is not something I can say for Valve's Hammer editor, which has some serious issues on that front, which actually made me just quit it in disgust).) However, the result is that the entire level has now been stretched a barely noticable 2 units, and it will take some getting used to psychologically.
      · 0 replies
    • Nort

      My workflow is basically running from a chain of disasters, eventually trying to seek shelter in former disasters. It's not ideal - it's just my life.
      When I abandoned my first map, it was out of a typical mental breakdown, and so I returned to find a skybox void where the kitchen door should have been (due to a misplaced visportal) and two overlapping brushes Z-fighting on the kitchen floor.
      I've now cleaned up the last bit of mess, by cleanly separating every floor into its own layer. Now I can finally work on each floor in peace.
      ...not that I really needed to. Once you get skilled enough, the orthographic messes, well, I'll let this video speak for itself:
       
      · 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...