The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Langhorne Lodge

Bienie

A great, scary little FM. 

I found 4 of 6 secrets as well as the hidden objective (Penny). 

Definitely a very spooky atmosphere thanks to the tense music. Nice small touches here and there ("I see you").

Thank you for taking the time to make this. 

One strange thing I noticed is that the end statistics say that I killed 2 enemies, even though I ghosted the mission. Is that because...

Spoiler

...the parent skeletons "die" after you free Olivia's spirit? 

Edited by Kerry000
Grammar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerry000 said:

A great, scary little FM. 

I found 4 of 6 secrets as well as the hidden objective (Penny). 

Definitely a very spooky atmosphere thanks to the tense music. Nice small touches here and there ("I see you").

Thank you for taking the time to make this. 

One strange thing I noticed is that the end statistics say that I killed 2 enemies, even though I ghosted the mission. Is that because...

Hide contents

...the parent skeletons "die" after you free Olivia's spirit? 

Glad you liked it! Sounds like you explored pretty well. I think your guess is probably correct.

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

• 2 weeks later...

I am not that much into ghosting and jump scares. But i was able to enjoy this mission.

I too had to noclip into the daughter's bedroom from the library because the door did not open while becoming unfrobable.

Don't like non-blackjackable AI - but the two skeletons where pretty predictable and the redeye seemed to be scripted to actually avoid me (the exception being when i exited from the mother's bedroom, because there it had to pass me to get to the main staircase, allowing me to go downstairs unhindered).

Tried to use the trapdoor in the garden shed. Searched for a hidden mechanism there too. It really looked like i would be supposed to use it to enter the building.

The lawn is perfectly flat.

The voice acting was nice to hear - would have been perfect with a bit less echo (wich made it sound a bit tinny).

I really liked the use of traps in the attic. They where believable, avoidable and one even was disarmable. Spotting and avoiding them made me feel like a real sneak. The traps are the mission's highlight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Abusimplea said:

I am not that much into ghosting and jump scares. But i was able to enjoy this mission.

Hide contents

I too had to noclip into the daughter's bedroom from the library because the door did not open while becoming unfrobable.

Don't like non-blackjackable AI - but the two skeletons where pretty predictable and the redeye seemed to be scripted to actually avoid me (the exception being when i exited from the mother's bedroom, because there it had to pass me to get to the main staircase, allowing me to go downstairs unhindered).

Tried to use the trapdoor in the garden shed. Searched for a hidden mechanism there too. It really looked like i would be supposed to use it to enter the building.

The lawn is perfectly flat.

The voice acting was nice to hear - would have been perfect with a bit less echo (wich made it sound a bit tinny).

I really liked the use of traps in the attic. They where believable, avoidable and one even was disarmable. Spotting and avoiding them made me feel like a real sneak. The traps are the mission's highlight.

Glad you were still able to enjoy the mission, and thanks for the feedback!

Yeah the door seems to me messing up for some people, that's unfortunate. Maybe I will have to make an updated version where the door doesn't become unfrobable.

The trap door was left non-functional because I couldn't get it to line up with where I wanted it in the basement. If it had I may have made it usable as alternative to taking the key in the mother's bedroom.

The voice acting was intentionally made echoey to make it sound ghostly. I guess it is a little on tinny side though.

Glad you found the trap section enjoyable, I thought it would be nice to have a little change of pace in the mission and not just do all creepiness and jump scares the whole way through.

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

• 2 weeks later...

A cool scary mission, but sadly I had the same problem as others here in that the door to Olivia's room was not open. I got stuck completely until I checked this thread and noclipped through the door, so you need to fix that fast! I had a similar problem with the closet on the ground floor, the skeleton blocked the door and it couldn't be opened. It worked after a restart, but you might take the chance to fix that too. Last not least it fealt strange not having lockpicks and the doors being unlocked by the ghost instead! Why not make all doors without keys pickable? I don't think the story would change much and I wouldn't feel like the stupiest thief ever, having lost his lockpicks :)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, wesp5 said:

A cool scary mission, but sadly I had the same problem as others here in that the door to Olivia's room was not open. I got stuck completely until I checked this thread and noclipped through the door, so you need to fix that fast! I had a similar problem with the closet on the ground floor, the skeleton blocked the door and it couldn't be opened. It worked after a restart, but you might take the chance to fix that too. Last not least it fealt strange not having lockpicks and the doors being unlocked by the ghost instead! Why not make all doors without keys pickable? I don't think the story would change much and I wouldn't feel like the stupiest thief ever, having lost his lockpicks :)!

Alright, seems like a lot of people are experiencing these bugs, and it should be pretty quick to fix, I'll try and get an update out this weekend, thanks for your feedback!

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

The link in the OP has been updated to version 2, which should have fixed the issues below. It should be available in the in-game downloader within the coming few days, but anyone who wants to play the mission in the nearest few days should prefer to download the mission manually! Thanks everyone for your feedback!

The door to Olivia's room is now usable by the player (though the creaking sound is a little unreliable when the player opens and closes the door manually).

Maggie's skeleton in the closet should no longer block the door from opening.

The player should no longer have dealt astronomical amounts of damage / killed 2 AI at the end of mission despite not causing any directly.

Edited by Bienie

My Fan Missions:

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 10:47 AM, SuaveSteve said:

Lovely little mission.

My only criticism is that I strained a bit to hear Olivia (especially by the grave). All volume sliders at max.

I heard her fine. Then again I have an odac/o2 with A990Z.

The mission is amazing, gripping and tense atmosphere, no cheap jump scares. It's fine enough to be in a McGee Alice game.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Finished this up yesterday and very spooky atmosphere. 

Spoiler

I kept expecting a spider in a few rooms so was very happy to find none but kept me on my toes. lol As well as dodging the local resident. I found all the secrets and even Penny. When I saw she was frobable I figured I better take her.  I saw the ropes in the attic which put my spidey sense on high alert and managed to avoid your traps - nice touch.  I have to say though, the voice acting was good however I struggled to hear what was being said - no fancy speakers here lol. Fortunately for me, I had a save right before she appeared so was able to quickly go back and crank my speakers lol

Thanks for all your hard work and look forward to more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiefette said:

Finished this up yesterday and very spooky atmosphere. 

Hide contents

I kept expecting a spider in a few rooms so was very happy to find none but kept me on my toes. lol As well as dodging the local resident. I found all the secrets and even Penny. When I saw she was frobable I figured I better take her.  I saw the ropes in the attic which put my spidey sense on high alert and managed to avoid your traps - nice touch.  I have to say though, the voice acting was good however I struggled to hear what was being said - no fancy speakers here lol. Fortunately for me, I had a save right before she appeared so was able to quickly go back and crank my speakers lol

Thanks for all your hard work and look forward to more.

Glad you enjoyed it, and that it had the intended effect!

As far as spiders are concerned, I'm not a big fan really... They don't really add anything for me in horror missions as I don't find them scary, they do have their place I guess in more natural environments. I also know that some people are arachnophobes so I tend to just avoid them.

It's great to hear when people take the time to find all the secrets in a map, and I'm glad you got a kick out of the traps! As far as the sound levels of the voice lines, it's strange that some people seem to have trouble with the volume and others not. I'm wondering if it's a difference in sound settings, maybe volume sliders are set differently with messes with the mix.

I'm actually thinking of making a much bigger map for next Halloween starting once I finish CoS 3, since this format was well received. No promises, but I do have all the main bullet points already hashed out.

• Like 2

My Fan Missions:

Nice little mission, especially the sound placement for rain and background music. Also I loved the secrets, traps and ai. I had no problems with fps, voice sounds, doors or triggers. Really good job there - I would love to see more of your maps in the future. Thank you! :)

• Like 2

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 4 months later...

Neat little mission... very creepy. Finished with a perfect stealth score but only 645 loot, and I had a few dicy moments avoiding the red flashlight ghost, and I did reunite Olivia and Penny.

Spoiler

Olivia's monstrous parents can stay like that forever as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

12 hours ago, thebigh said:

Neat little mission... very creepy. Finished with a perfect stealth score but only 645 loot, and I had a few dicy moments avoiding the red flashlight ghost, and I did reunite Olivia and Penny.

Hide contents

Olivia's monstrous parents can stay like that forever as far as I'm concerned.

Glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

• 6 months later...

Short and not hard mission with spooky theme, it was 70 mins for me. Rating: average.

Spoiler

I liked the traps. There should be more traps in thief style missions.

It is not possible to collect 1200 coins, the missions statistics shows there are only loot worth 1150 on the entire level.

1 hour ago, Gerberox said:

Short and not hard mission with spooky theme, it was 70 mins for me. Rating: average.

Hide contents

I liked the traps. There should be more traps in thief style missions.

It is not possible to collect 1200 coins, the missions statistics shows there are only loot worth 1150 on the entire level.

Thanks for your feedback, I'm satisfied with a rating of average considering how quickly it was put together!

Spoiler

Nice catch with the loot totals. I never even thought to double check that. Luckily the player doesn't have to follow the initial loot goal or they would have been stuck!

My Fan Missions:

• 6 months later...

Oooo new map :D Awesome. Playing now. 

[spoiler]

Ran into one problem in the room where you get the Den key. Climbed onto the bed, walked around n off the by the end and got stuck. 

In the attic: The effect of the rope around the light, and the shadows it casts is just gorgeous. :D

[/spoiler]

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

On 10/17/2021 at 2:31 AM, MirceaKitsune said:

What a nice FM! Played it just now and really enjoyed it, very good especially for something short. Managed to find all secrets as well, was only short of 50 loot :P

Glad you liked it! It is indeed short (and swiftly built), but I like to think I managed to pack a lot of content into a small space :)

My Fan Missions:

7 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

Oooo new map :D Awesome. Playing now. 

[spoiler]

Ran into one problem in the room where you get the Den key. Climbed onto the bed, walked around n off the by the end and got stuck. 

In the attic: The effect of the rope around the light, and the shadows it casts is just gorgeous. :D

[/spoiler]

I'm not so sure about new, I released this for Halloween two years ago :D but it's getting to be that time of year again, so I'm glad you found it.

That's an odd bug, did you manage to get stuck between the bed and the bedside table maybe?

I did try to do some experimental lighting throughout the mission so I'm glad you found it pleasing. In fact I had a lot of fun in general making the map as it called for a lot of non-standard solutions and workflow.

My Fan Missions:

8 minutes ago, Bienie said:

Glad you liked it! It is indeed short (and swiftly built), but I like to think I managed to pack a lot of content into a small space :)

It did a good job at that: Small map but it felt detailed, there are FM's with larger environments that don't achieve the same feel and intrigue. It will be nice to see which new FM's you plan on making.

• Like 1

Actually Bieine, I found two bugs. The bed one, I got stuck on, but also

the right leg. I found all the body parts and the doll. Went out to the grave

dropped them in. The skull, arms, spine and left leg arranged themselves

together and the right leg disappeared. Objective not completed. Go back

to where it was located according to the list, n not there. Can't finish the level. 

I remember now I have played this before and had no problems. I wonder if the

bed caused the leg problem.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Nobody likes bed bugs. 🙂

• Haha 2

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle