The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In Danger of Judgment (2019/11/15)

krrg

This was a very nice first release, and quite well realised when it comes to the balance of difficulty vs. clues. The secondary objectives are nice optional asides. Perhaps it was a bit light on AI (one or even two more guards would not have hurt), but exploring the judge's home was fun, and the mission had multiple individual touches which add to the experience. Visually, it is fine; the sewers are very plain (and look like early work), but the upper quarters are much better. I hope we will see more from you after this FM!

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Summer said:

I hope we get a second mission in this series. Left quite a few unanswered questions. Great mission, liked it a lot.

So glad you liked it!

I've started working on the second mission in the series, and have a lot of the external design work done. Still a lot of details to fill in; in contrast to the first mission, the second mission in the series will be relatively larger and more complex.

No particular timeline, but I'm sure I'll be leaking some screenshots here and there.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I must be the worst thief in the Universe but I cannot for the life of me find whatever the hell the heavy gold key opens. I probably walked past it a dozen times already.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 8:14 AM, thebigh said:

I must be the worst thief in the Universe but I cannot for the life of me find whatever the hell the heavy gold key opens. I probably walked past it a dozen times already.

Spoiler

It opens the hidden safe in the stormy library. Start looking behind paintings :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Pretty good one! Small and cozy, but with a lot of detail and story crammed in. Haven't found any bugs that I can report. It will definitely be interesting to see more FM's you make after this.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

• 2 months later...

Short and too easy mission. The house is well designed. The storytelling is confused and unfinished at the end. The central book contains pages like '(here comes a plot twist)'.

Spoiler

a sewer opening in a kitchen is strange

Edited by Gerberox

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Gerberox said:

The central book contains pages like '(here comes a plot twist)'.

Pretty sure that's deliberate. This isn't the only fan mission where the contents of a readable are summarised for the reader in parentheses rather than all presented in full. It would make not much sense for the entire mystery novel to actually be written out.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

8 hours ago, thebigh said:

Pretty sure that's deliberate. This isn't the only fan mission where the contents of a readable are summarised for the reader in parentheses rather than all presented in full. It would make not much sense for the entire mystery novel to actually be written out.

Exactly. I didn't expect anyone would want to actually want to read a 200 page mystery novel written by yours truly.

And for what it is worth...I don't recall that particular book being particularly "central" to the plot either...😀

On 3/28/2021 at 2:07 PM, Gerberox said:

The storytelling is confused and unfinished at the end

I can't help but wonder if you may have missed or misread a readable somewhere along the way? As far as being "unfinished", well, I intend(ed) to do a sequel. And yes, I'm on my umpteenth attempt of that sequel...🤕

Regardless, I'm under no illusions that this was close to a perfect mission, or that every prop and plot device fit together perfectly. I found that a telling a story through a TDM mission is actually quite a challenging feat:

(1) Players may not find readables/clues in the order you expect them to
(2) They might not even find things you thought were obvious
(3) They might completely misunderstand or read too much into a clue (I tend to do that as a player)

This is in addition to the enormous amount of layout, design, and general "mechanical" work that goes into making getting the mission to work at all. This includes even small missions (which this was intended to be from the start), especially for beginners that are not familiar with all the tooling required to build a mission. If anyone hasn't had a chance to try making their own mission...try it! It is a lot of work, but it can also be a lot of fun!

By the way, this isn't an attack on anyone that disliked my mission or thought it could be improved; just realize that the cost of admission was free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krrg said:

By the way, this isn't an attack on anyone that disliked my mission or thought it could be improved; just realize that the cost of admission was free.

Just fyi, this particular user you're responding to doesn't seem to be much interested in what I would call constructive criticism, so I wouldn't sweat it. See below comment of his on another mission.

Other than that, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I definitely have a lot of respect for any mapper that releases anything. I say that as an expert mapper that is halfway through the beginner tutorial. :awesome:

Edited by roygato
  • Like 2