The Dark Mod Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mcmike1489

Roadmap for TDM in 2020

[Swiggy] Multiplayer thief? That would be interesting. Is there any networking code still remaining in TDM that was brought over from the Doom 3/id Tech 4 code base?

If not, I could probably do it. I have a superficial knowledge of C++, it's all sockets and shit right? :)

It's all fragmented to hell. There are bits and pieces in random little places. But I believe some systems would have to be redone from the ground up because they assume the player is $player1. I think a lot of FMs do too, so it's not clear many FMs would even work; well not in their vanilla form but they might if the system itself rebuilds the map file to be multiplayer compliant. But that might be a bit much for the base game, which makes the main alternative a forked version of the game ... although IMHO still worth it just because multiplayer thieving, coop and competitive both, is some of the most fun I've had playing multiplayer for any game ever. That also reminds me, we'd also need new systems for handling coop and competitive style gameplay, like players sharing loot and objectives for coop, and Thievery is a good model for competitive gameplay (thieves vs guards).

But anyway, it's not only a matter of the networking code by itself (although there's that too), there are these other things to address, and every piece is a big thing by itself. Still though, it'd be glorious.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

About the use of unreal engine. Does somebody know who "Euline Federchen" on youtube.
(through him/her i learned about sotha tdm video tutorial)
He/she working on a stealth u4 project In some videos he use tdm music. (video in the spoiler)

Is is an idea to help him? Or to convince him use use our nc textures, models, etc?

Edited by freyk

Yes, that's Filizitas on our forums. That UE4 presentation is a bit long (who needs to see collecting the same things time and time again?), but it looks promising overall.

Edited by peter_spy