The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.7.0 pre-release test

I assume the existing button "Snap rotation pivot to grid" is not doing what you want

This is actually exactly what I was looking for. Funny, you'd think I'd take just a moment over the years to check out the parts of the interface I hadn't used so much yet.

so I assume the feature of having grouping information stored in prefabs and preserved when importing them is definitely useful. Can you open a request on the bugtracker for this please?

Thank you, I was hoping this had been left out just because it hadn't been considered rather than technical hurdles. I can use this right away for a big batch of nautical prefabs. 

And thank you for taking care of most of my mapping peeves on the bugtracker so swiftly. I've been sitting on them for quite a while and your choice of words was apt, they were indeed like little stings during mapping.

Edited by Dragofer

@greebo Thanks for looking into that! That's a damn shame, but it is what it is.

In terms of changes, the only thing that comes to mind right now that could improve my DR experience is being able to lower the bar under where spawnargs are entered. There's a lot of wasted space in this area and I would love to finally be able to pull it down to the bottom of the window.

vTPuyDf.png

• Like 1

About that space below the entry boxes: some spawnargs launch their custom edit controls loke "Choose Models" and the degree buttons for the "angle" spawnarg etc.

If that space is going to be compressed to zero height, this might be a problem for some users, but maybe it helps decreasing the minimum height to a smaller value?

The panel currently has minimum height of 80, meaning that you can't drag down to obscure it even when it is empty. It is pretty trivial to set this to a much lower value (e.g. 10), allowing you to drag the splitter almost to the bottom of the window, giving a more Blender-like interface where you can drag windows to minimum width to hide them.

A possible disadvantage however is that users might not realise that there is a widget available in the bottom pane if the splitter is dragged down to hide it, since the splitter does not jump back up even if you switch to another spawnarg which offers a custom editor. This is probably no problem for experienced mappers, but I could imagine a newbie accidentally dragging the splitter down and then working for some time without ever realising that they are missing out on useful functionality like the Choose Model button.

FWIW

[Yesterday, 16:22]
b1k3rdude:
    afternoon, hny etc 🙂
    When one of you get a sec can you feed the following back to Greebo regarding the latest version of DR -

# grouped objects will regularly and randomly not rotate on the spot, but instead around some radom and large circle.

# layer child window still showing weird selection behavour where the button after being clicked on will remove the tick mark, but still showing blue - only work around is to close and re-open layers window.

# randomly the textures window wont show all the used textures.# scroll speed on textures browser needs an indipentant speed adjustment setting.

# middle-click on a texture will stop wowriking after a time, as in middle-mouse click on a texturte and you would would get taken to said texture in the texture browser.

# export model browser dosent remember last save location after DR is shut down.

# DR has a few times gotten stuck in importing large prefabs, , the application just hangs.

# if you drag your mouse cursor off the texture tool window while  trying to do a drag select, it then wont select untill you move the cursor back inside the bounds of the window.

# this is an old bug with the new DR impmentation - if you have to move a light source around or adjust its light radiou, its very very laggy. My work around is to select the light and/or the objecting near where you moving the light to and press shift-h then its smother again.

# the txt search and filtering UI function still needs tweaking - 1) you can't click into the search text box. imho the text box could be always visable in it current location. 2) we need a button for next instance of the keyword your looking for.

# need more control of mouse scrolling speed that indipendant of the OS setting.

# would be usefull to have a filter type for models, be able to create customisable filter for models types, eg .LWO and .ASE

Just remembered all of the above is from 2.6, so he may have fixed some of this already. So am now testing 2.7pre 2

Well, letting Bikerdude talk through proxies is not going to last very long when it comes to clarifying bugs, so I'm not going to address all of these here.

He should make himself a proper account on the bugtracker and open reports for DR there, BUT, and this is important, they should be more descriptive with proper reproduction steps. For instance, I cannot work with a report like "randomly the textures window wont show all the used textures" - to be frank, I don't think any developer in the world can.

Or this one: "DR has a few times gotten stuck in importing large prefabs, , the application just hangs."  - Which prefabs are we specifically talking about? What can I do to get that behaviour? Folks, put yourself in my position, what am I supposed to do with that kind of description?

I'd recommend taking a look at the issues opened by Dragofer (e.g. this one), which are exemplary for well-written reports.

22 hours ago, greebo said:

Well, letting Bikerdude talk through proxies is not going to last very long when it comes to clarifying bugs, so I'm not going to address all of these here.

He should make himself a proper account on the bugtracker and open reports for DR there,

Curiously I advised him to do exactly this when he contacted me on Steam some time ago and asked me to pass on various bug reports.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of his forum ban (which I won't discuss here), there is absolutely no reason why he can't have an account on Mantis to submit bug reports.

Obviously that's up to TDM team to decide, but IMO things like that make the whole ban thing look like a joke.

And about the content of the bugs he submited, he just copypasted bits from his message, despite Greebo's request to be more descriptive.

Edited by peter_spy

A new pre-release build (pre3) is available in the first post. Quite a couple of things have been fixed, this build should now be in a better shape than the previous one. Thanks for the feedback so far, this is exactly what a pre-release phase needs.

I'd appreciate it if reporters could take a look at the issues they reported and ideally confirm that they have been fixed.

Thanks for the high-quality feedback during this pre-release phase, this is working really great! The list of fixes got a bit longer again, there's a new pre-release (pre4) build ready for download in the first post.

One more pre5 build is up in the first post, only two things have been changed. If nothing critical is discovered, this will be the version for the 2.7.0 release, which will be happening in the next few days.

Thanks for testing!

• 3 months later...