The Dark Mod Forums

Game Awards 2019

STiFU

The Game Awards 2019 has just concluded. "Sekiro" is Game of the Year and Best Action Adventure and I have to agree with that. It is such an excellent game. Never before did swordfight feel so authentic and brutal!! I would have also loved the new Star Wars game to become game of the year, but apparently, that game missed the deadline for 2019.

I feel a little sad for "A Plageu Tale" that they didn't get Best Narrative, but Disco Elysium probably earned that title, too. "A Plague Tale" has an incredibly deep and ominous soundtrack and simply amazing medieval art direction (only animations are a little bit off).

https://thegameawards.com/nominees?fbclid=IwAR1Y9UhwbydI_rIsZhJbxbzeMMedfAYFlrAzFzojVgX9XwHIrBgZOZObsd4

I agree with "A Plague Tale". I loved the game. I have not yet played Sekiro, because I am not convinced that I like the difficulty. A friend of mine, who is also a massive Souls like games fan, just recently recommended it for me again. What is your opinion on the difficulty? Anyway, I think, as soon as I can get it in a sale, I will not come around to buying it.

2019 has been a great year for games, but unfortunately because of lack of time my wishlist is ever expanding... I'm hoping for some great deals during the Steam Christmas sale to give some of these titles a try. I've heard great things about Sekiro. Is it necessary to play it with a controller STiFU or does it work well with a keyboard and mouse as well? I'm hoping 2020 brings a few more stealthy games. Any news on that front?

Just realised that I did not buy one original 2019 game this year for my PS4.

Last week I bought Batman: Arkham Knight. Looking forward to playing it as I liked the previous two games.

I looked into Sekiro as well but it seems to use the "Dark Souls combat mechanics" (or whatever the correct term for that might be) and therefore it`s a no go for me as I already failed completing the training level in the original Dark Souls without dying plenty of times.

@STiFU: What about this "Atomic catastrophe in Russia with mutants" game you've mentioned earlier this year? I just forgot the name. Has it already been released? The screenshots looked very promising.

12 hours ago, Destined said:

I have not yet played Sekiro, because I am not convinced that I like the difficulty. A friend of mine, who is also a massive Souls like games fan, just recently recommended it for me again. What is your opinion on the difficulty? Anyway, I think, as soon as I can get it in a sale, I will not come around to buying it.

If you're unsure about the difficulty, yeah better wait for a sale. Sekiro was my first soulslike game, but I soon learned to love it. The combat relies heavily on actual parrying rather than dodging (like in Dark Souls). Once you get the hang of it, it is soooo much fun. Some time after Sekiro, I actually also tried Dark Souls Remastered and I gotta say, I don't understand the discussions about which one is more difficult, Sekiro or DS, because in my oppionnion there is nothing to discuss. Sekiro is definitely harder, because in Dark Souls you can grind lower enemies to get stronger and you can even have other players help you win a boss fight. LOL! In Sekiro you have to kill every boss all on your own, and defeating bosses is the only way to actually get stronger.

In the beginning, you can go quite some way with the stealth mechanics of the game, but eventually there are the first boss fights you will have to pass to continue the game (some fights can and should be skipped at the beginning). If you succeed one of the easier boss fights, you will probably be hooked to the combat system and continue the whole game. ?

9 hours ago, Carnage said:

Is it necessary to play it with a controller STiFU or does it work well with a keyboard and mouse as well? I'm hoping 2020 brings a few more stealthy games. Any news on that front?

I played it with controller because it feels very natural this way, but I saw numerous speed runners use mouse and keyboard.

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

Last week I bought Batman: Arkham Knight. Looking forward to playing it as I liked the previous two games.

I looked into Sekiro as well but it seems to use the "Dark Souls combat mechanics" (or whatever the correct term for that might be) and therefore it`s a no go for me as I already failed completing the training level in the original Dark Souls without dying plenty of times.

@STiFU: What about this "Atomic catastrophe in Russia with mutants" game you've mentioned earlier this year? I just forgot the name. Has it already been released? The screenshots looked very promising.

Arkham Knight suffers severely from the "too much todo in an open world" phenomenon, i.e., the Ubisoft Formula. I never finished it for that reason. It's just too much content to keep you hooked.

Sekiro's combat differs significantly from Dark Souls', as stated above: It relies on parrying rather than dodging. That being said, I died a lot more often at the beginning of Sekiro than at the beginning of DS. :D

Regarding the atomic catastrophe, you are probably talking about Atomic Heart, which has not yet been released.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, STiFU said:

If you're unsure about the difficulty, yeah better wait for a sale. Sekiro was my first soulslike game, but I soon learned to love it. The combat relies heavily on actual parrying rather than dodging (like in Dark Souls). Once you get the hang of it, it is soooo much fun. Some time after Sekiro, I actually also tried Dark Souls Remastered and I gotta say, I don't understand the discussions about which one is more difficult, Sekiro or DS, because in my oppionnion there is nothing to discuss. Sekiro is definitely harder, because in Dark Souls you can grind lower enemies to get stronger and you can even have other players help you win a boss fight. LOL! In Sekiro you have to kill every boss all on your own, and defeating bosses is the only way to actually get stronger.

In the beginning, you can go quite some way with the stealth mechanics of the game, but eventually there are the first boss fights you will have to pass to continue the game (some fights can and should be skipped at the beginning). If you succeed one of the easier boss fights, you will probably be hooked to the combat system and continue the whole game.

Thanks for the info! I usually prefer to parry anyway, so this might actually suit my playstyle more than dodging ? Still, I will wait for a sale; maybe 30-40€ would be finde, but not 60. I played Dark Souls, but never finished it, because some of the bosses were just too much E.g. with Gravelord Nito I usually got swarmed by skeletons before I could even reach him. Up to now I have no idea, how I should beat him. It was similar with the Four Kings. I usually got the first one to a third of his health before the others appeared and could not find an opening afterwards. Well, I will see how it goes with Sekiro.

@JackFarmer I liked the Arkham series very much. Right now I am playing Shadow of War (got it in the last sale and since the lootboxes and in-game buying options have been removed, I didn't need to boycott it anymore). It has a similar gameplay (especially the fighting system is basically the same), but it is set in Middle Earth. The story is also quite interesting. So, if you like the gameplay of the Arkham series and also like Lord of the Rings, you could give this (and its predecessor Shadow of Mordor) a try. Given that you find the time...

I never watch game awards, as this is Jeff Keighley's gig, and it's as cringeworthy as E3. But at least their picks are good most of the time. Disco Elysium is amazing, what they did with RPG mechanics and systems alone deserves an award.

TBH, I'm less and less interested in games. Really, if you take a look at the industry, then, it's really suffered from gaming becoming such a popular thing. Less and less creative, and need for clever stories, and gameplay, more and more of the always same-ish stuff you draw on the marketing board. I don't want to sound like one of those boring "commerce is bad mkay" guys, but, IMO, games really have suffered from it. Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, even the first 3D GTA's, or something like Chronicles of Riddick of Splinter Cell, those were really nice and original games.

Take The Outer Worlds, for example. I played it through, and, also enjoyed it to some extent, but, it'really absolutely cliché, and, neither the story nor the gameplay are really smart. And the characters all act completely unrealistic, and unlogical. I recently watched a vlogger review of Human Revolution, and, despite the guy presenting it in a nad way, i kind of agree with everything he says:

It basically shows almost everything which is wrong with games these days, even very fictional ones. We really need more brainwork flowing into the games again, and, we also need more creative freedom, and more enthusiasm. Especially in AAA games. I don't think the big company really benefit from boring franchises.

6 hours ago, chakkman said:

TBH, I'm less and less interested in games

I guess this thread is for you then? ?

I'll say the same I said in that thread: Just don't look at AAA titles, but at indie titles and you'll find tons of genius new gameplay ideas. In 2019, there were Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds (NOT Outer Worlds!!), Baba Is You, Disco Elysium. All of which, brilliantly innovative. That being said, Sekiro and Star Wars are AAA titles, and they are brilliant, too. So there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

Edit: Another personal recommendation: Yoku's Island Express! It's cute and fun!! ?

• Like 2

You're right, indie games, or crowdfunded stuff can be a source for more creative stuff. Unfortunately, many of those games really lack on the technical side, or the taste of the developers is just bad. But, you surely can't make a generality out of that. There are surely some good indie games.

20 hours ago, chakkman said:

I don't think the big company really benefit from boring franchises.

Ekhm, ekhm, see Ubisoft and their AssCreeds, Far Crys  and Tom Clancy's. All boring, repetitive, grind-driven games. All successful, with huge install base all over the world.

23 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Ekhm, ekhm, see Ubisoft and their AssCreeds, Far Crys  and Tom Clancy's. All boring, repetitive, grind-driven games. All successful, with huge install base all over the world.

Wildlands was fun, 'though. You can play it pretty sneaky and tactical, if you want. Once with a friend, we had to abduct a target from a huge camp and we actually succeeded without killing anyone and without raising the alarm. A quick extraction with heli afterwards. I tell you, this felt so awesome, totally black ops!! :D

Regarding the grind, yes, that's the Ubisoft formula was talking about above. But remember Far Cry 3 and 4 or the Ezio Auditore series in AssCreed, all games featuring pretty awesome story and new gameplay ideas. And those Far Cry villains, legendary!

I still play like every other AssCreed title today, skipping the ones featuring no new gameplay. Unity had these amazing graphics back in the day and new stealth mechanics, which made the game a little enjoyable. I also played and enjoyed Origins because I liked the egyptian scenario with "Tomb Raider"-style exploration and I also wanted to checkout the new soulslike combat mechanics. The newest entry Oddyssey I will probably skip again due to its sheer size and the lack of new gameplay features compared to Origins. When it's on sale, I might eventually get it just to have a look at the graphics.

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

True. Maybe it was mistakable what i wrote. I meant that the companies don't really benefit from that, in the sense of unnecessarily restricting the developers' and designers' creativity. The gamers these days like repetitive and boring, no doubt. As long as the world is HUUUGE, and the graphics are AWESOME. And the sound is BOMBASTIC!!! And all that. Stupid. But then, so is most of the population.

• Like 1