The Dark Mod Forums

TDM runs only in 4K

Blazko

Hi Guys, this is my first post here. Hope I put this question at the right place.

TDM runs only in 4K resolution on my computer. I can choose different resolutions but even upon restarting TDM, it again runs on 4K (3840*2160).

That is a problem for me because it causes a low framerate which disturbs me quite a bit. Also generally I prefer to play games on lower resolution with high antialiasing settings.

Has anybody an idea how I can solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Blazko

This is a question for @duzenko, but I think the fullscreen resolution handling was changed such that the render window is always at full desktop resolution, but the internal render resolution is set according to your choice. So even if the app runs at 4k, rendering should not.

Can you see a quality / performance difference ingame between different resolution settings?

TLDR: r_fboResolution 0.5 in game console

19 minutes ago, cabalistic said:

This is a question for @duzenko, but I think the fullscreen resolution handling was changed such that the render window is always at full desktop resolution, but the internal render resolution is set according to your choice. So even if the app runs at 4k, rendering should not.

Can you see a quality / performance difference ingame between different resolution settings?

This is more of a question to @stgatilov as I can't remember what 2.07 shipped with

@Blazko

Do you have 'Render scale' in video options?

1 hour ago, cabalistic said:

Hello cabalistic,

the game is clearly running in 4K. I am an experienced gamer and know quite well when and if the resolution is 4K. The different resolution settings change absolutely nothing: Same resolution and bad framerate.

Greetings,

Blazko

10 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, setting Render Scale in game menu is the intended way now to improve performance by sacrificing precision.

Unfortunately, there is a set of bugs in 2.07 with non-default render scale: 5055, 5068

So probably manually changing desktop resolution or playing with GUI scaling is the best workaround for now ?

I can confirm the 5055 bug. But it worked for me when I turned off soft shadows. Render Scale was the solution that I was looking for and didnt find. Thanks a lot! Btw what does stencil/map shadows mean? Is there a manual that explains such technical terms related to TDM?

1 minute ago, Blazko said:

Btw what does stencil/map shadows mean?

These are two well-known but completely different ways to implement shadows in computes graphics. Stencil shadows were used in Doom 3 from the very beginning, and TDM used it exclusively until 2.06. Shadow maps were added later: they are used in the majority of modern games.

Performance implications are different with these options. I guess shadow maps are usually faster (although on my shitty AMD GPU stencil shadows were faster). If you use soft shadows, then shadow maps should look a bit better.

To be honest, I don't know myself which options is better ? I just switch back and forth from time to time to see the difference. Since I have a good GPU and like soft shadows, I prefer shadow maps.

33 minutes ago, Blazko said:

Hello cabalistic,

the game is clearly running in 4K. I am an experienced gamer and know quite well when and if the resolution is 4K. The different resolution settings change absolutely nothing: Same resolution and bad framerate.

Greetings,

Blazko

Yes, the output resolution is always your native display resolution at the moment. I guess the resolution setting should be completely removed in that case, but we might want to think about supporting multi-display ultra-wide setups etc.

However, the imagery can be rendered at reduced (or increased) resolution depending on your renderscale setting, which you can find under Settings > Video > General or via console command r_fboResolution. Try a very low value and you will see that the image is not rendered at full resolution. Also observe the performance gain in that case.

3 minutes ago, STiFU said:

Yes, the output resolution is always your native display resolution at the moment. I guess the resolution setting should be completely removed in that case, but we might want to think about supporting multi-display ultra-wide setups etc.

However, the imagery can be rendered at reduced (or increased) resolution depending on your renderscale setting, which you can find under Settings > Video > General or via console command r_fboResolution. Try a very low value and you will see that the image is not rendered at full resolution. Also observe the performance gain in that case.

You are a bit late, issue is already resolved but nevertheless thanks for the comment. And now I learned from you that there is a console in TDM which might be handy in the future. Is there a list of console commands somewhere? I liked using the console in Quake...

Edited by Blazko

16 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

These are two well-known but completely different ways to implement shadows in computes graphics. Stencil shadows were used in Doom 3 from the very beginning, and TDM used it exclusively until 2.06. Shadow maps were added later: they are used in the majority of modern games.

Performance implications are different with these options. I guess shadow maps are usually faster (although on my shitty AMD GPU stencil shadows were faster). If you use soft shadows, then shadow maps should look a bit better.

To be honest, I don't know myself which options is better ? I just switch back and forth from time to time to see the difference. Since I have a good GPU and like soft shadows, I prefer shadow maps.

Both have pros and cons but imo shadow maps are superior, for the simple reason that they support alpha transparent textures and are able to be made soft out of the gate, stencil shadows don't. But stencil does run faster and look much sharper, this if not using tricks like soft stencil shadows but you lose the performance advantage and still have no alpha textures support. 

It's pretty much the same as in Q3 including scripting capabilities. ? Pull it down using ctrl + alt + ~ (or ^ in german layouts). You can print available commands using listcmds or listcvars. Other than that, you can use our wiki for further commands or use the autocompletion feature by typing the prefix and the hitting tab. Prefixes are: s_, r_, g_, com_, tdm_ and probably quite some more I don't remember of the top of my head. Check your darkmod.cfg for inspiration.

A suggestion, man!

If you have a native 4K monitor BUT you want to play @FHD resolution (1920x1080) 'cause the framerate/frametime I suggest to FORCE the "integer scaling" if available to you GPU+drivers package (NVidia's Turing GPUs with lastest drivers, AMD RX 4/5xx/Vega/Navi GPUs with lastest drivers)

This "new" feature is specifically provided to play @FHD scaled to 4K (1 final output rasterised pixel maps to 4 pixels) with "perfect aliasing" (yes, it sounds strange :D ) and no upscaling-related blurring.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

4 minutes ago, STiFU said:

It's pretty much the same as in Q3 including scripting capabilities. ? Pull it down using ctrl + alt + ~ (or ^ in german layouts). You can print available commands using listcmds or listcvars. Other than that, you can use our wiki for further commands or use the autocompletion feature by typing the prefix and the hitting tab. Prefixes are: s_, r_, g_, com_, tdm_ and probably quite some more I don't remember of the top of my head. Check your darkmod.cfg for inspiration.

Ok thanks a lot for the support ?

5 minutes ago, Blazko said:

You are a bit late, issue is already resolved but nevertheless thanks for the comment. And now I learned from you that there is a console in TDM which might be handy in the future. Is there a list of console commands somewhere? I liked using the console in Quake...

What STiFU said and you can also go here -> https://modwiki.dhewm3.org/Console    this is for the Doom 3 game so some cmds and cvars may not exist in TDM anymore but is always a good place for info.