The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Snowed Inn by Goldwell & Kingsal (2019/12/25)

Goldwell

Thanks for playing MrMunkeepants 

We are in the process of fixing some of those LOD issues and should have a new build out later today. 

You cannot thaw the pipes in the post office, but thats a neat idea. Yes, you could carry Jermaine back to his home in the woods.

2 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Almost done, only stuck on one final thing apparently.

Reveal hidden contents

Where do I find all the parts for the snowman? I already put in the branches for the hand, the ink canisters for the buttons, the diamonds for the eyes... the objective didn't complete and I can't find what else is still needed.

You need the carrot and hat from inside the school.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMunkeepants said:

minor bugs: really bad LOD popping of tree models all over map, and a completely white compass (which seems to be an issue with all FMs)

I can confirm weird tree pop in, maybe you weren't testing LODs on Normal setting? Otherwise, the mission runs flawlessly and I haven't encountered any bugs yet :)

Edited by peter_spy

On 12/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, kin said:

Thanks for this. The author names say everything!

The dream team.

I really enjoyed the special effects at the end and their implications about what sort of person Bolero is. His little adventure in Volta 2 might not have been so unusual.

Spoiler

I also like how you basically inverted Santa Claus into a magical thief, and our dirty scoundrel Corbin ends up righting wrongs and doing good deeds in the night instead. The solution to the grain silo in particular had a suitably miraculous quality to it. 

Also the river and sewers - any time a mission lets you go off the map gives me a magical feeling, like the first time I played Down in the Bonehoard and your map gets updated with a giant question mark. "Where hell am I now?" ?

Edited by Bluehawk
put a potential spoiler in the tag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingsal said:

We have a new build coming soon, hopefully later today. Apologies for any bugs you guys are experiencing. 

If you've already started a game:

Reveal hidden contents

Please visit the sewers and do what needs to be done to trigger the hidden objective there. Otherwise the mission will not complete

Thanks everyone.

Do I need the new version for the objective there to trigger? I looked in that area and didn't see anything in v1.0 yesterday.

Spoiler

The note in the hut mentioned someone having been paid in advance to start the generators and clean the snow in the sewers. However that didn't add a new objective, and I can't interact with the snow nor the generators either.

1 hour ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Do I need the new version for the objective there to trigger? I looked in that area and didn't see anything in v1.0 yesterday.

Hide contents

The note in the hut mentioned someone having been paid in advance to start the generators and clean the snow in the sewers. However that didn't add a new objective, and I can't interact with the snow nor the generators either.

The note wasn't meant to add any new objectives. It's a world building readable which explains why Jermaine was down in the sewers. 

The objective that activates in the sewers is that after you kill all three ice spiders, it marks off a hidden objective to clear them out.

But because you have spiders disabled in your TDM (hence why you see black boxes) i'm unsure what would happen there.

Couldn't find the update in the in game downloader. Got it through mega. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

1 hour ago, NeonsStyle said:

Couldn't find the update in the in game downloader. Got it through mega. 

Version 1.1 is on the official servers, however the mission needs to be uninstalled before the update shows up ingame.

If you wish to download through the official ingame downloader, make sure the mission is uninstalled before trying to update via the download missions menu.

• Like 2

Thanks for playing! Glad you had a good time :)

I really liked this mission. At first it seemed pretty straight forward, but turned into a complex little hunt. Really liked

the apparent skybox, that turned into playable area. Didn't expect that. Nice to get a mix of playable forest and town in one map. 

Really hate the helmetted guards. lol I like to knock em on the head n I was robbed a bit lol. Still, managed to KO some. Turned

into a really nice map. Well done and thanks. :)

• Like 2

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

I finally finished the mission and enjoyed the level, tho it made me feel cold walking around the snow and seeing cloud breath from the guards.

I had no big issues in a single playthru. Got all the quests. A couple oddities:

Spoiler

1. I collected 5 cookies but never found a need for any of these, Did they have a purpose?
2. I also, along with someone else here, had trouble with the hidden quest to kill the spiders. I like to sneak around and not kill anything in my TDM games, so this was unclear as to do this, as I also thought I was supposed to use the fire arrows on some pipes somewhere.
3. The genie bottle was really bitchen! This takes TDM to another level for design. Imagine what ideas can be done with miniaturization and gigantism.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

I finally finished the mission and enjoyed the level, tho it made me feel cold walking around the snow and seeing cloud breath from the guards.

I had no big issues in a single playthru. Got all the quests. A couple oddities:

Hide contents

1. I collected 5 cookies but never found a need for any of these, Did they have a purpose?
2. I also, along with someone else here, had trouble with the hidden quest to kill the spiders. I like to sneak around and not kill anything in my TDM games, so this was unclear as to do this, as I also thought I was supposed to use the fire arrows on some pipes somewhere.
3. The genie bottle was really bitchen! This takes TDM to another level for design. Imagine what ideas can be done with miniaturization and gigantism.

1. Those are for eating, they give you health. With one highlighted, press your use inventory item key and they will be eaten if you have health below full.

2. That was a bug, the spider killing quest was meant to be optional. But it is fixed in version 1.1, so now you don't need to kill the spiders.

3. Agreed! Also I would love to see size differences explored in more FMs. I think Spoonman had a mission that shrank you down as well.

• Like 1

A wonderful mission full of winter atmosphere! I love stories that go from simple stealing to something more and I think I managed to fullfill all the objectives, even finding the hat on the way home. I have two suggestions though: I searched a lot for the snowman eyes because I expected them to be coals. As everything else can be found very early on, this will make players waste time around the schoolhouse. So maybe put some coals there and add the jewels to the loot? And about the spiders, why not add an objective once you find the message in the hut to look into what happened to the guy while implying you can't repair the stuff yourself? This way the spider update would be clear in the end!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1

Wonderful mission guys, I loved this one a lot. The map struck me as one with a very strong sort of remote city, stuck deep in pagan territory and an with ominous ambience throughout the city. I'd expect such ambience from a horror mission, especially around the woods and inside the sewers. Nice touch, not all horror needs to come from the undead.

Spoiler

Regarding the spiders, I found that bit to be very interesting. What are they, some sort of frost elemental, or some magical beast or something? Also, as others have noted, It would be a nice touch if reading the note in the forest hut would add an optional quest, and some hints maybe about the nature of the spiders. The first time I was playing, I was clubbed to death, trying to kill them with a sword and broadhead arrows in vain. Maybe an additional note on the corpse in the seweres that said more about them, or at least implied their link to the freezing issue?

Also, is this a random, stand alone story regarding Bellero, or is this somehow chronologically related to the Bellero from the Volta series, perhaps before or after he gets the stone?

And why did his bag contain the lost stuff? I highly doubt he stole it, but did Corbin somehow find what he needed inside, sort of like a bag of wishing? Is it somehow related to the Volta stone and its powers?

EDIT: Also, the wiki page does not list spiders under problematic content, that should be updated.

Edited by Silverflame3
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, STRUNK said:

@MirceaKitsune

Reveal hidden contents

The hat is on the coathanger that stands between the desk and the torch.

I've no idea why it only appeared there after I read your comment: I'm sure I looked everywhere ?

Anyway I've finished it. The ending didn't trigger for some reason, I had to manually mark it as completed and the loot I found. It was very nicely done overall, quality mapping and very nice atmosphere: Would love to see more like this in the future!

What a wonderful little mission released at the end of the year!

Really nice surprise, Golwdell and Kingsal, I will just reiterate what Shadow said:

Spoiler

That shrinking "bag of holding" was a brilliant idea and I think this was the first mission ever in Darkmod to use this. And just today i was thinking about it that i haven´t played for a long time Thief or Darkmod FM with this mechanic - and what do you know :)

I was able to get on the roof of the house Garret´s room is located in, by opening the metal window shutters and climbing upon them. I wouldn´t count it as bug, even though I could access areas which should be off limits - this is something I love about Darkmods mission - freedom to go everywhere you want and not being tied down by invisible walls.

I will refrain from my typical longer posts today and will just say this was a pleasant surprise, from poster collecting (not overdone, for which I am thankful) to snowballs throwing :) 

Merry Christmas everybody and a happy new year! :)

45 minutes ago, noni said:

Where do I find the safe code?

General hint

There is a readable inside the post office upstairs that serves as a clue

Specific hint

Upstairs you will find a readable sitting on one of the post officers desks. It details the post master counting things around the office in order. Count those same things and you’ll have the code 

And if you’re still having trouble. Here is the code 

6 2 5