The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Snowed Inn by Goldwell & Kingsal (2019/12/25)

Goldwell

On 2/14/2020 at 6:28 PM, joebarnin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

(from memory) You have to have a special item in your inventory when you frob the grain pile

Reveal hidden contents

It's a special seed that is found in..

Reveal hidden contents

the magic sack that you fall into

Thanks, joebarnin. Forgot I had that thing. Finished the mission. Interesting, to say the least :D

• 3 months later...

Just finished this up the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. 

Spoiler

I really liked the puzzles and ending up helping the community. I too was having hat troubles lol but also the ink bottles didn't highlight when I first checked the desk. Came here for some help and got back on track. Thank you for leaving the fire arrows and I'm glad I didn't have to use them for thawing pipes as it would of been an easy choice. Spiders will die! lol

Thanks for all your hard work. This was really a lot bigger than I thought it would be with lots of places to explore.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Ladro @Teekay @Summer - Thanks for playing! Glad you enjoyed it. That hat really is tricky to find, we might update the mission to make it more obvious.

@Alberto Salvia Novella - Glad you dug it and thanks for doing the playthrough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

After finishing my last mission I was looking for some beauty.

When I spotted the authors' names, I couldn't resist. What a good decision it was....

Right at the beginning, a beautiful intro animation (that iron-smith's  anvil) and falling snow in main menu.

Maybe unimportant details, however deserve huge acknowledgement as it molds the beautiful X-mas atmosphere.

Actually, I have never seen a 'winter' mission before so it felt like not playing TDM at all!

The mission is awesome, great idea and story, perfectly balanced interior and exterior parts.

Custom assets/features I never saw before (like forest, large-scaled plains, horses, slippery ice, the way of 'completing main objective' and many many others).

I also enjoyed all the optional objectives, including really uncommon ones...

Spoiler

a snowman??? really? ha-ha....

There's only one thing to say, however - it's too easy to collect the requested loot amount....

Thank you so much guys....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say, I serendipitously found this mission on Christmas and played it all the way through, and completed all optional objectives as well. I'll admit, I had to search online for where the hell the final piece to the snowman was (the hat! I figured but had no clue where it was).

What an excellent, well done mission. I really enjoyed this one. Many details were considered that surprised me.

Again, well done, and thank you.

Edited by tristamus
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, TheUnbeholden said:

The hint was to use the map with 'm' but it looks like I didn't recieve one. Should there be one in the starting area?

Yep there is a map in this mission:

Spoiler

Inside your apartment right at mission start. 

• 1 month later...

This was quite good with original ideas.

The tree and "bush" models around the stables were terrible even for Dark Mod. 

Spoiler

I wasn't able to do the warming up quest with the fire arrows because I shot them long ago at the spiders. I thought they meant for that. Whatever.

• 1 year later...

I just finished the mission. Loved it, great mission.

Spoiler

I liked the puzzles. Especially the one with the safe code in the post office.

Atmosphere and visuals were great. The mission was very coherent in that regard. The difficulty was right. I got a bit surprised by the guard with the lantern in the post office though, which almost spotted me. It's quite hefty when there are guards with lanterns in such tight spots.

I liked the linearity, and how the player basically explores the mission in the "right" order. Some missions tend to be a bit chaotic in that regard, not this one.

The optional objective in the sewers were cool. I wondered though if the hint about the job in the "hunters" shack in the woods about the sewers freezing would add some hidden objective. I guess not, and the letter was just about the background of the corpse in the sewers.

I recently played Snowed Inn maybe a few weeks back and it was phenomenal. Oddly where everyone else had trouble finding parts of the snowman (hat, nose), those were the easiest for me to find, but everyone seemed to have found the eyes which I never did. Best part of this mod is the atmosphere and I definitely felt cold and wintery inside. 

30 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I recently played Snowed Inn maybe a few weeks back and it was phenomenal. Oddly where everyone else had trouble finding parts of the snowman (hat, nose), those were the easiest for me to find, but everyone seemed to have found the eyes which I never did.  

Spoiler

They're in that micro world where you get to when you activate Bellero's bag in the carriage.

I get why you could have missed those though. It's not too obvious which things you can interact with and which you can't in that area.

Edited by chakkman

@chakkman  @Shadow Glad you liked the mission! 

Hiding the items in this mission was definitely tricky, we obviously want players to find them but not feel like we just gave them away. Tough balance there.

Spoiler

I agree the Bag World is tough because its full of giant loot.. and you need to figure out what you can steal and what you cant. The idea there was  you can only take "normal" sized things out of the bag , but we couldn't figure out a great way to signal that.  Thanks again for playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Bagworld reminded me a lot of Little Big World in Constantine's mansion from T1.

• Like 1

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

• 1 month later...