The Dark Mod Forums

TDM won't run after Windows10 upgrade.

grayman

Since the Windows 10 upgrade is still freely available, and suspecting it would no longer be after Win7 support ends in January, I decided to bite the bullet and do the nasty. Also, my Win7 was beginning to hiccup.

Hahahahahaha. One farking dead-end after another until it finally seems to be stable. Even dealt with the "white screen of death".

Unfortunately, I needed to recover my Win7 back to a years-earlier recovery point before installing Win10, which lost me a number of programs which I am now in the process of restoring.

Even though I've installed the Visual Studio 2017 redistributable package, I'm getting these errors when starting TDM:

missing VCRUNTIME140.dll

missing ucrtbase.dll

I checked the Windows/System32 folder, and both dlls are present.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

• Like 1

In the TDM base directory there should be "vcredist_x64.exe" and "vcredist_x86.exe". Try running that and installing that? It might help with the VCruntime dll at least.

Also sometimes you need to register DLL's. The command is

regsvr32 “C:\Windows\System32\NAME.dll”

Replacing name with the name of the dll.

I did a fresh install of Windows 10 myself and have had a pretty good time on it, the only issue is that a couple of times Microsoft have released an update which has given me a bit of a problem. But overall it runs pretty well.

Maybe a fresh install would have been better than just upgrading.

• Like 2

I second Goldwell's proposal: run the vcredist executables located in your TDM root directory.

Aside from that, TDM 2.08 will no longer depend on VC redistributable (just like it was until 2.05), so you should be able to run SVN version on a fresh Windows.

UPDATE: Finally, if nothing helps, you can use procmon to see where it looks for these DLLs. But this would take considerable time and effort.

P.S. Upgrades "through several major versions" are rarely pain-free. Windows 10 already had 5-10 revisions released.

• Like 2

Classic dll hell
I for one am deeply frustrated but those errors. Since it just works for everyone else, it's clearly a MS ball drop.

VC14 is vs2015, right? Didn't we compile 2.07 with 2017?

Do you have the VS2017 installed and does it also fails when run under debugger? See what toolset is configured in VS solution config. After that, only MS support can help.

1 hour ago, duzenko said:

Didn't we compile 2.07 with 2017?

Yes, we compiled it with VC 2017. Of course, it needs proper redist package to be installed.

To be honest, the only thing which surprises me is that TDM 2.07 works fine but TDM 2.07-hotfix does not. This is almost the same code built with same tools and settings. How can it be?

13 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, we compiled it with VC 2017. Of course, it needs proper redist package to be installed.

To be honest, the only thing which surprises me is that TDM 2.07 works fine but TDM 2.07-hotfix does not. This is almost the same code built with same tools and settings. How can it be?

The only thing coming to mind is one being x32 and other x64

Couple things I try if DLLs are not found is:

1. run the EXE as administrator.

2. check the file paths by dropping to CMD prompt and typing PATH to see if the DLLs can be found.

3. sometimes I copy the DLLs directly into the program path so it doesn't have to hunt them down.