The Dark Mod Forums

Share your Status / What's on your mind?

STiFU

I kind of miss our old status-bar on the right, where you could casually share what's on your mind or what is happening in your life right now. So, I figured, let's just start a thread for that. 🙂 

Let's get this started...

• Like 3

I hope Hepatite C remissions are not a thing. Not something that happens to me.

Is the way to fight procrastination in this life, expecting the worst from Murphy's law and to start preparing for that? Want to sleep? Try hard to not sleep and find other topics for your mind.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

1 hour ago, Jetrell said:

How long is parental leave time? I was given 6 months from my employer.

Here in Germany, you get up to 12 months of paid parental leave, where you receive 67% of your usual income. You can get 2 more years of unpaid parental leave, if you want. I registered for 7 months in total, to support my gf in finishing her studies. 🙂

• Like 2

Just want to letting you know, that

• im working on another versions of my tdm installer scripts.
  • i'm getting more into music:
    created some (game-related) mixes. (like fifa98, pinball fantasies and mixes in other gernes)
    Working on a thief-fanmusic mix.
    See my mixes on mixcloud.
  • Trying to produce music with software And today i got my first midi-keyboard.
    See my tracks on soundcloud.
  • Trying create stuff with an video editor.
    To upload videos of my music to youtube.
Edited by freyk
  • Like 3

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

3 hours ago, chakkman said:

TBH, i found that status stuff mostly a annoying "Look at me and my importance!" thing. Maybe it was meant differently. It always came across to me that way. Just my opinion. Maybe some simply abused it.

I guess it's up to you to ignore it then. I've known many of the people around these forums for well over 15 years now, so I like to know what's going on in their lives. 🙂

I also saw it more like a "Hey guys, I am up to this now". Although I mostly ignored it, just as I ignored the WhatsAp status for a long time. But at some point, I found it was a rather unintrusive way of people telling what they are doing. You can ignore, if you want or look at it, if you don't.

• Like 1

Well, what's on my mind is that yesterday my power supply kicked the bucket, and after much troubleshooting, discovered that it took my video card out with it. Spent all day yesterday running around for a new PSU and GPU, but I did find a video card that is far better then the one I had, so that's nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Kind of bummed that the weekend is over. Been wishing a new collectathon platformer would release on PS4, I loved those as a kid. Hoping for something to break the soul-aching boredom I've been feeling. Wish my parents actually wanted to hang out with me on the weekends, although I get they work during the week, I'm 25, yeah. I'm autistic but high functioning, I go to a special ed program to get help preparing to live on my own when the state finally finds affordable housing for me, so.wthing that has been years waiting for and probably years more to wait for. I like my job at the Dollar store, just feeling shitty alone at home in the basement. Might be the lack of windows. I used to love the cool darkness, but it's been affecting my mental health. I need sun and nature and to talk with people I'm close to. Instead at home I'm locked in my basement apartment, there's nothing to do in my town without a car, I don't have a driver's license, and the shitty state program I go to off work requires strict time regulation. Doesn't help most of the people there are low functioning or neurotic. Okay, that's unfair, it's not shitty in and of itself. There are nice people who work there and rely on their services. But the new manager of the place is a total NPR "Islam can do no wrong" stickler to the rules idiot who makes even my autistic, liberal ass think of the 4channers' word "cuck" when he opens his egotistical, asshole mouth. I fucking can't stand him. I wish his predecessor was still in charge, she gave the caretakers more freedom in what they could do with their charges. 

Edited by Kurshok
  • Haha 1

I laughed Kurshok because I think you should do stand-up, or at least write a web comic. Your wit is gold. That could be a good way to funnel your boredom into something productive. (Tried your hand at DR? that's been my funnest use of a PC in several years) Have a Twitch channel where you do let's plays and rattle off jokes, idk. I'd tune in. But I totally hear you about lack of sunlight, I am totally affected by seasonal affective disorder, goddam hate Nov-midMarch.

• Like 1

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Coronavirus european epicentre some Km from my town is good enough as status? :D

Thi4f 2014 in real life 😛 THE GLOOM......

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Of course we all thought "Gray Death!!!" but this is a Thief-inspired forum 😛

Australia? Well, 100 times better a SARS-like virus than a country literally on fire!

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

5 hours ago, lowenz said:

Coronavirus european epicentre some Km from my town is good enough as status? :D

Thi4f 2014 in real life 😛 THE GLOOM......

It sucks, though. Thief 2014 didn't live up to the standards of previous Thief games, so when the reviews by the few old fans who play it come in, and they are "ok, but not like the old games", it's like their CEO is trying to be a douche and punish us by saying "No more Thief then", when asked about a new (hopefully better) Thief game.

11 hours ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

I laughed Kurshok because I think you should do stand-up, or at least write a web comic. Your wit is gold. That could be a good way to funnel your boredom into something productive. (Tried your hand at DR? that's been my funnest use of a PC in several years) Have a Twitch channel where you do let's plays and rattle off jokes, idk. I'd tune in. But I totally hear you about lack of sunlight, I am totally affected by seasonal affective disorder, goddam hate Nov-midMarch.

Not so much that. I actually enjoy cloudy weather. It's just that I have only a window in my bathroom that shows sunlight. The Window on my door leads to underneath my family's deck, so no sun. Not a big neighborhood to walk through as it's a cul de sac in a small town in New Hampshire, too long to walk to the movies or library. So I stay inside in the dark all day. No new video games means I'm bored. Few shows that interest me right now on Netflix or Disney+, although Mandalorian and Witcher were good whilst they lasted. 

Being hardcore or not mostly depends on difficulty of the levels, not on the genre. OMs are not that difficult, it's FMs that often have that difficulty curve pretty steep (or spiked). That said, the core mechanics (light-based stealth) makes hard to design levels. It requires night time settings most of the time, and lighting is not an aesthetic tool, but gameplay tool first and foremost. That's why e.g. games like Dishonored ditched light-based model to have greater variety of maps and lighting conditions.

Edited by peter_spy

Guys, no, dear TAFFERS since 1998, I salute you :v

It seems that Coronavirus is knocking @my door! Hope me not knocking @Heavens door 😛

Untitled.jpg

The Trickster eventually found me after 22 years :ph34r:

Edited by lowenz
  • Sad 3

Stock up on health potions and holy water!

I’m thinking 2020 is gonna be a fun year for FMs. I keep hearing how grayman is working on 5 maps atm, numerous other maps in progress from other authors. I’m currently getting a sneak peek pre-beta test at a mission (I’ll keep the author secret for now to build hype) and it’s great fun so far. My 3rd baby is due May 30 so that’s  my deadline to push out my own first FM.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day