The Dark Mod Forums

Share your Status / What's on your mind?

STiFU

Just packaged my Msys2 mingw-w64 CodeBlocks build environment, for some years i maintained a special version of codeblocks made to work with Msys2 mingw-w64 compilers but my build from then was getting a bit long in the teeth.

Old package was based on the TDM mingw-w64 compiler so it linked statically to the gcc runtimes, sadly this trick no longer works as the newer compilers now rely heavily on hardening (ASLR and DEP) which the TDM compiler does not support. Porting the code for it also turned out to be a nogo as changes in gcc have broken it.

This is a developer package and as such it is rather big (packaged size is 29GB and unpackaged is several 100GB's), it does contain everything under the sun though QT5 KDE every image library and image tool imaginable sound codecs video codecs gui building tools python ruby mono, and quite a few mapping tools like blender. You can even build ADA packages as the complete gpr compiler is included. Want to toy with making your own game from scratch ? well it also includes the godot engine, or if you just need some game framework the latest Ogre3d is also there as well as the irrlicht engine. Need a sassy menu or HUD well it does have crazy eddies gui system.

QT5 has pretty much any build tool avaliable for windows and NIX included to, like the KDE build system.

Just a warning if anyone wants to have a go at it :) i will be making it avaliable on my sourceforge site shortly.

• 1 month later...

I've just finished my second playthrough of Superliminal, this time with developer commentary (which is really good, but not recommended for the 1st playthrough, as it contains major spoilers). Superliminal is a first person puzzle game featuring non-euclidian geometry with a really relaxing sound track and some absolutely incredible level-design ideas!! There are tons of moments in this game, that have you laughing about how ingenious the presented ideas are. The puzzles themselves are mostly rather simple, but this game is more about surprising the player, anyway.

If this sounds interesting at all to you, I recommend just getting it without looking at any trailers beforehand. I am certain, it will be that much more enjoyable because of it! The game is really short with its playtime of 2-3 hours, so maybe get it when it's on sale. It's definitely worth its money, 'though. Furthermore, I actually think it might have some therapeutic value.

EDIT: I just watched the official trailers of Superliminimal and I really find they spoil too many moments, so I cannot stress enough to play the game without looking at trailers first. 🙂 I discovered the game by randomly clicking through some twitch streams and after 3 minutes of watching regular gameplay, I had already decided to buy the game.

• Like 1

My only issue with Superliminal is how short it is. Really fun, though. I think I first heard about it like 10 years ago through a podcast that was discussing an early tech demo of it. Obv it didn't have a name at the time, and it took quite a while before it became an actual game.

Edited by roygato

4 minutes ago, roygato said:

My only issue with Superliminal is how short it is. Really fun, though.

Not an issue to me. In fact, I would argue that its mechanics would wear out before reaching its finale, so better keep it short and sweet.

New settings for Europe with conform to data protection rules, with regard to cookies on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/account/cookiepreferences

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

If these pop-ups bother you 'We use cookies and we put it for you yes or yes' that now they put on all pages, apart from an adblocker (uBlock Origin the best) use this.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 2

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

18 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

If these pop-ups bother you 'We use cookies and we put it for you yes or yes' that now they put on all pages, apart from an adblocker (uBlock Origin the best) use this.

Yes! they do bother me! Coincidentally just a few minutes ago I was thinking "I could really use an extension that makes these go away"

You can, and more, with this and the other 2 the sides will only see your raised middle finger. Better if you use also privacy search engines, like Startpage or DuckDuckGo, privacy browser, like Vivaldi or UR which don't track you. For full security use also a VPN

Also in the web, stealth is important today.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Streaming is weird. I don't watch any streams of any kind! I do not understand the appeal. But I decided to do it for my own selfish purposes. You see, it's way harder to procrastinate when there are witnesses. Sometimes there are 2 or 3 people watching me for whatever reason and it makes me feel bad for scrolling twitter instead of working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pretty much only stream these days as denmark has mothballed the old Radio and TV net.

So now we pay through the nose to watch the same crap over and over that we previously could watch for free (well not entirely as we still had to pay the copyright fee's), so it is 3 to 4 times more expensive if you want your old channels back :(.  I had a hard time living with that so instead i got myself a netflix membership and news i read online. Best thing about this is that i get no commercials every 15 minutes like i would on the expensive membership above, and i can watch most of what i like :).

14 minutes ago, revelator said:

pretty much only stream these days as denmark has mothballed the old Radio and TV net.

So now we pay through the nose to watch the same crap over and over that we previously could watch for free (well not entirely as we still had to pay the copyright fee's), so it is 3 to 4 times more expensive if you want your old channels back :(.  I had a hard time living with that so instead i got myself a netflix membership and news i read online. Best thing about this is that i get no commercials every 15 minutes like i would on the expensive membership above, and i can watch most of what i like :).

Just use The Pirate Bay. Through VPN if must. Lest the party van comes around.

• Haha 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

aK76Zq6_700bwp.webp

• Haha 1

badge?user=andarson

• 2 months later...

I am a big fan of GIT, but a colleague recently ran into an issue that lead me to question everything I thought I knew about GIT. 😄

Maybe some of the GIT-Gurus on this forum can shed some light into this issue.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68557395/why-does-this-git-merge-not-result-in-conflicts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, peter_spy said:

I've been playing The Outer Worlds a bit, but apart from a one companion that's well-written and voiceovered, the whole game is flat and lifeless. I really hoped it would be more like FNV in space.

I kind of dislike these supposedly-funny cartoony games and your post now eliminated even the smallest chance of giving this game a shot. Better go play the magnificent Outer Wilds! 😄

• Haha 1