The Dark Mod Forums

Share your Status / What's on your mind?

For someone who hasn't played Quake Champions, how different (or similar) is it to say Quake 3? I don't player multiplayer games much anymore for many reasons, but I am curious about anything that keeps one of my favorite game series alive. On the other hand, I was under the impression QC is more or less on life support at this point

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been using the free time due to the corona-lockdown to finally learn OpenGL. Graphics programming has been on my bucket-list for quite some time, so I had a lot of fun learning this! However, the

To get a positive spin on this discussion, what about the following little story: Due to Covid, I am working from home and because of that, I just got to experience how my son (turning 1 year on

Working on several missions that will rely on 2.08. Yay! Getting treatment for my cancer that has decided to attack after 11 years of remission. Boo! Enjoying my 2-month-old grandson. Yay!

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Xolvix said:

On the other hand, I was under the impression QC is more or less on life support at this point

That is a common narrative on Steam forums, but I'm not sure whether that's true. I mean there are always people when I play. Sometimes it's just me + bots, but it's not a majority of cases.

The gameplay and pacing is similar to Q3, slightly slower I think, and you can also use character skills (can be turned off if you don't like it).

6 hours ago, Xolvix said:

For someone who hasn't played Quake Champions, how different (or similar) is it to say Quake 3? I don't player multiplayer games much anymore for many reasons, but I am curious about anything that keeps one of my favorite game series alive. On the other hand, I was under the impression QC is more or less on life support at this point

Regarding the movement and weapons, you will feel right at home. Everything feels on point, you're gonna love it. The Grenade launcher has been replaced by the Tribolt, which will feel awkward at first, but it actually has some good use cases that make it more useful than the previous grenade launcher.

The new thing about QC are the champions, which you can rather quickly unlock just by playing. It's a free2play title, but you can of course also instantly unlock all champions via money. However, NO pay2win mechanics are involved!! Each champion has an active ability and a few passive abilities, which make for interesting gameplay changes, depending on the champion matchup. Some notable passive abilities: Doom Slayer has double jump, Ranger has significantly reduced self-damage (rocket jumps), Nyx can wall-jump, Slash has crouch-sliding (as in Quake 4). If you've got some experience with various Q3 mods, you will know that there are also some with a different movement physics called CPM, where you have a lot of air-control. There are a two champions that actually use that movement physic: Anarki and Sorlag.

The player count is comparatively low, yes, but it's steady, so it's not like the game is dying. Also, remember that some people do not play via steam, but via bethesda launcher, so the steam concurrent players statistics is not representative of actual player counts. When I queue for a game, I usually find a match within 30 secs.

If you want to give it a shot, I recommend to start with one of the heavy champions like Scalebearer or Sorlag, especially in team-modes where you can usually not get your hands on enough armor or the mega health even. Aside from their higher starting health and armor, they also come with an incredibly useful toolset. In my oppinion, light champions really make no sense in team-modes at all, except if you play incredibly fast ones like Slash. Playing slash good is incredibly difficult, 'though.

Finally, I would just like to add that the game is not hard to learn and it's really well balanced. So, have fun! 🙂 Just don't go ahead and try to learn all champions, right away. I still haven't to this day, even though I already have 100h of game-time clocked in.

• Like 1

A colleague who lived in the state capital, had his immediate family living basically in the same quarter. They decided to throw a family party, since they haven't seen each other in a while, and they felt everyone should be fine (despite very high infection / mortality rate in the region). Both him and his father were admitted to the local hospital several days after. Father died 2 days ago. He died yesterday.

Seriously, take care of yourselves. Even if you don't believe in covid or wearing masks, it's better to treat it like Pascal's wager.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2