The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Away 1 - Air Pocket, by Geep (2020/02/07)

Geep

Congrats on your first release! Glad to see it has received some extra polish!

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Finished the mission. Short and sweet! As Jack says, a unique concept. Nice to see a non-standard mission design.

I thought that the

Spoiler

swimming bits in the sunken ship were just right - challenging without being too difficult. You have to come up for air once in a while, but there's always air space to get to. Items weren't too hard to find (when you're underwater, there's always the "running out of air" panic).

One issue: I did get stuck (twice) swimming near the first crew member's body. Physically stuck - I had to noclip to escape. Probably a DM issue?

I really really really

Spoiler

wanted to get onto the attack ship. Tried climbing on the rope from the towed boat. Got almost all the way there, but then was blocked. Next mission, please?

Looking forward to further stories in the arc!

• Like 1

...or maybe not. I've "over-egged the custard" there with that PR poster concept. But thanks for the interest in further episodes of the story arc, where l hope to have more ship (and ashore) exploration.

joebarnin, the getting-stuck issue you noted, in the waist hold next to the galley, wasn't reported during beta testing. Was it near the surface, or down in the debris?

• Like 1

Sure

Spoiler

The rocks on the north side (direction the boat bows are pointing) enclose a pool of water. There are 2 recommended ways into it... the entrance on the east is the most obvious, the one on the west more obscure. Emily is within.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:39 AM, Geep said:

joebarnin, the getting-stuck issue you noted, in the waist hold next to the galley, wasn't reported during beta testing. Was it near the surface, or down in the debris?

Actually, I think this was player error. This happened in the mess, near where the crew member is dead in the bed. I just tried to recreate the problem, swimming near/into the bed. At some point I thought I was stuck, but by trying different directions I was able to proceed. I think the first time it happened, I just panicked because I was running out of air, so I assume I couldn't move at all. So I don't think this really is a problem.

Good to hear. Yup, not running out of air is one of this mission's motivators. In earlier iterations of this FM, you could swim into the lower fully-immersed bunks and easily get stuck and drown. Those bunks are blocked with debris now (and player clip) to solve that.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your release :D

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Robbed the safe with the Captains key and objective failed, end game. Nice. 

I hate it when I have to swim everywhere, it's so slow. Nice detail on the map though, but you 

need to fix that bug. I don't know what failed, it just sad objective failed, and ended the mission as

soon as I looted the dead captains safe. This was after I found the girl, and was told I had to

find the jewelery. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Ah, sorry, that's a feature, not a bug.

As an optional objective, finding the jewelery is worthwhile, but as you have seen, has its risks. You didn't heed a warning, and paid the ultimate price. There was a small hint at the end to confirm why you died. Details:

Spoiler

The warning, that occurs when you acquire the safe key, is to not loot anything too heavy to swim with. That refers specifically to the only large, heavy object in the captain's safe, the gold ingot. If you frob it (perhaps by accident in a quick uncareful grab of everything in the safe), you drown. As the last thing you frobbed, you can see (briefly as the mission ends) that its inventory name is "Too Heavy".

• Like 1