The Dark Mod Forums

1917 movie

HMart

Today went to see this movie and I knew almost nothing about it, I heard about it on the news but that was it, saw on the poster that it was chosen for 10 oscars, that really got my attention (good marketing), went to IMDB to see the score, like I always do to get some idea of how popular the movie is, it add a punctuation of 8.5, that's almost schindler's list level (8.9)! It must be very good I thought. But no, IMO, is a boring, totally predictable, totally unrealistic and in some scenes totally dumb movie and it shows that I no longer identify myself with the modern movie fans.

When a movie like this is considered almost to the level of some of the best masterpieces in cinema, IMO it shows how low expectations have fallen.

Just for comparison Saving private Ryan IMO a much much better war movie, has 8.6 of punctuation on imdb... 

Edited by HMart

I saw the movie this weekend, also without any expectations and I actually enjoyed it. I would not compare it to Schindler's list, at any case, but for a war drama it was a nice movie. I especially liked that for a very long time, the movie does not have any big fights (maybe this was what you were expecting?). I found the first half very suspenseful, especially because you expected to see some ambush or fighting or something like that. But this part simply showed how the soldiers expected something to happen, without anything happening. Still, it was gritty enough to show how awful the times in the trenches must have been. I was told afterwards that the movie was apparently shot in basically one go. It is not something I would have noticed, without having been told, but I think that is one reason that it is so popular. I actually liked it more than Saving Privat Ryan, mostly because it shows more of the psychic stress than the actual cruelty of war, but this may be just a diference in taste.

No my problem with the movie is not the lack of fighting, even tho the movie does take a while to take off, that was not what made me facepalm in this, for example schindler's list has almost no fighting whatsoever, is very slow in many aspects but is one of my top favorite WW2 movies, is how the story is told and how realistic/believable to me it is, the problem that I have with this movie is that to me the situations the main actor got into and escaped from just felt unrealistic, for a movie based on real world physics and real historical foundations.

I believe that in real life the main character would never escape alive some of the situations, based on the credits of the end, this movie was inspired on the accounts of a WW1 veteran (portuguese descendent by the name, like me), so to me it felt like what we were seeing was the "glorified" tales of a old soldier.

We have a saying here in Portugal  "Quem conta um conto acrescenta-lhe um ponto" more or less "When you tell a story you add to it a point" but it rhymes in portuguese. 

So If this movie has any base on reality then what I learned? That germans on WW1 where total cunts, they have death wishes, never shoot straight even when the enemy is, walking slowly in the open, is 3 meters straight in front of them, is running in the open or on a straight line while a german soldier runs some meters behind him shooting, etc, perhaps that's why the germans lost the war...  then there's the final scene where a extra collides with the main character and falls dead in the ground has if shot, that made me laugh.  

Regarding the action, I was referring to Saving Privat Ryan, because I think Schindler's List is a whole other kind of movie. It is set during WW2, yes, but it is not about fighting on the front lines as a soldier, so I would not compare them at all.

I agree that there were situations that were most likely exaggerated. On the other hand there are many accounts of war stories, that are hard to believe to be survivable. That a German soldier missed him, while running himself is quite believable (although he could just have stood still in order to aim better) and I have no idea how accurate the guns were in that time, so it may not be that incredible to survive some of the situations. But for me it was still a movie and either he really was incredibly lucky or the number of Germans was increased for the movie or it was just a movie trope that the protagonist can not be hit by a shot. Even if it wants to be realistic, it is still a movie.

I can't really recall the final scene you mentioned, so I could only speculate what the reason behind this was. Maybe the extra was told to fall on the ground and just layed still and they did not want to shoot the whole thing, because of such a minor point.

14 hours ago, HMart said:

It must be very good I thought. But no, IMO, is a boring, totally predictable, totally unrealistic and in some scenes totally dumb movie and it shows that I no longer identify myself with the modern movie fans.

Welcome to the club. Seriously, I stopped caring about new movies at all. They're made with a target audience in mind that I don't belong to anymore, with my 40 plus years. 

Same goes for video games, BTW. The only titles I wait for are a new Fallout, Elder Scrolls, or a new GTA. Maybe, just maybe, Cyberpunk. But, I'm really not sure about that at all... people compare it to Deus Ex, and I have to laugh when I watch gameplay demos of it. It's more like a GTA in a cyberpunk setting for me. 

The majority just doesn't have any taste anymore. See all that Assassins Creed or Far Cry copycat shit games. All with a nice open world game world, and you waste your time doing totally repetitive, and exchangable job creation shit. Ridiculous.

Destined I wouldn't be this critical if this movie if it was not being hyped in such high regards, specially when I've seen IMO better movies in the same genre, but like chakkman said perhaps i'm just too old for this movie, i'm 38.

About Schindler's List, yes they are different movies, is still a war movie so there's some similarities there, but I just talked about it because of the IMDB punctuation, the same for Saving Private Ryan. 

chakkman thanks for welcoming me 😜 but about skipping new movies I don't go that far, I still think modern movies can be good, for example the new Joker was a huge surprise to me, even tho initially was very reluctant to see it, plus there's other countries alongside the US making movies, the south korea movie Parasites is a very nice movie and even won the main Oscars first time in history for a non US movie. 

About games, yes I sometimes feel the same and that is why I play less and less modern games.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HMart said:

went to IMDB to see the score, like I always do to get some idea of how popular the movie is

I used to do that as well, but nowadays a large part of the reviews are fake (paid). Meta score isn't much better either when it's a social sensitive subject.

I wanted to go see this, but my gf dragged me in to Birds of Prey instead. >.< I feel like I would have enjoyed 1917 a lot more.

They don't make movies like they used to I guess. Thankfully there are still a few games made every now and then that appeal to more mature/hardcore gamers. Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Escape from Tarkov come to mind, though there are plenty more in recent years. Just have to look hard enough! And then there is TDM of course ^^

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

18 hours ago, HMart said:

Destined I wouldn't be this critical if this movie if it was not being hyped in such high regards, specially when I've seen IMO better movies in the same genre, but like chakkman said perhaps i'm just too old for this movie, i'm 38.

[...]

About games, yes I sometimes feel the same and that is why I play less and less modern games.  

Well, I went in without any expextations, so this might have done the trick for me. On the other hand, I haven't let myself get hyped about movies (and also games for that matter), because the last times I did, I was sorely disappointed. This doesn't mean that I cannot enjoy any (mainstream) movies, but it ususally means I set my expectations low and try to turn off my head as good as I can (which also tells more than enough about the quality).

With games I (of course) have to agree. There are still a couple of gems out there, but the games I enjoyed most in recent times were mostly indy titles. I usually have a couple of games for each category (stealth, action, platformer, puzzle, RPG, mixtures of categories), but it is getting harder and harder to keep the number up, especially in the stealth department. I found that I actually enjoy a bit of a challenge (as long as it does not feel unfair), so I am currently playing Sekiro, which I find easier than most Souls-like games (even if I heard that many people find it more difficult). As a platformer I recently played Celeste, which I think is absolutely great. It is challenging, but doable and you have the option to enable a "help mode", if you find it too difficult. Easily the best platformer I played in years.

I am also in my mid-thirties by the way, like most people here; there was a poll some time ago and the 30-40 range was the most prominent, if I remember correctly. It also makes sense as with this age you were most likely to have played one of the Thief games, when it was fresh out.