The Dark Mod Forums

Gloomwood

Diego

This is giving me They Hunger flashbacks, I loved that game. I actually have a thread I started but nobody replied to featuring They Hunger's history and how I was searching for more info on Neil Manke's whereabouts. This game looks really good, too. Too bad I'm a console kiddie for the foreseeable future. My laptop broke years back, and I have nobody with the time or experience to help me restart my PC gaming :(

Edited by Kurshok

Why you can link to pictures of this game
And trough yt videos of it in a spoiler.
(see spoiler)

No, i stick with TDM,
because you can mod the heck out of it.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really don't know much about it. I follow the dev on twitter and that's my source of info. They made DUSK, a FPS inspired by 90s shooters (blood seems to be a specific influence), and Gloomwood seems to be the same but for Thief.

Edited by Diego
wrong game name :P
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Looks like we have a demo now. And a preview.

Bottom of line, its a good homage to T1 and T2, but there are things missing in order to attract the thief community in a sustained way. At the moment there is no pacifist game play (the only option is to kill everything). Also, there is no story, no character building and of course, no mission editor. But then again, this is still a demo and no release date is announced.

I just played the demo too. I enjoyed it! I was a little skeptical of the pitch 'thief with a gun' but it was a pretty fun demo. I tried ghosting in the normal difficulty and there is only one point it seems impossible to achieve because every enemy becomes alerted and knows exactly where you are. It's when you get the thingie surrounded by crowmen; the elevator sounds an alarm. Other than that it can be played pretty much like a thief game.

Then I played it on the hardest setting. That really did not feel like playing a thief game at all; too many deadlock guard configurations requiring violence. But resources are so scarce and enemies so overpowered that it didn't really play like a shooter either. Not sure what the appeal there is.

BTW, www.thiefwithguns.com redirects to gloomwood's steam page :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I am playing the demo too and I like it. It plays a little differently than thief. It's crude and rough around the edges with some clipping errors (I was able to pick up and push a barrel through a solid wall). And it has save points rather than a save anytime feature. I think the world environment looks more like thief than the actual gameplay, but it is pretty similar. It's worth a look.

So, here's my impression. You know how The Dark Project is a great game but it has some roughness to it? Then Metal Age took the basic formula from TDP and tweaked the level design to make it more stealthy, less monsters, less combat etc. I think Gloomwood is offering another 'solution' to TDP's shortcomings. It's doubling down on the horrors and supernatural and just giving Garrett guns.

I played the demo as well, but IMO it's very rough around the edges and they didn't go far with any ideas there. 'Ok, so let's have a Thief 2-looking world and SYABH kind of enemies'. Yeah, and?

They basically recreated NewDark look on Unity, which is cool, but the movement itself is very stiff. Enemies are wheezing and their sounds are hardly recognizable from the level ambient, so you can't really hear them / guess their position too well. Stealth is not very far from binary, lightgem is in the bottom right corner (why?). Etc, etc.

It feels either like student project, or a proof of concept, internal demo at best, not a public one.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
7 hours ago, datiswous said:

I think these games get away with poor graphics under the name "art direction" or "indy".

It's actually a new indie phenomenon called "retraux". People actually like the older-style of graphics, just as some people like older styles of animation like the Rankin-Bass Lord of the Rings movies, or 90s style anime compared to modern. A whole group of game designers who enjoy the way older graphics can induce creepiness decided a while ago to make an annual Haunted Playstation 1 Demodisc yearly.

• Like 1

I also realized very early in my carrier that people enjoy games for gameplay/story and experience more.
As long as the game has a certain level of visual prowders, they will gib moneys.
The consumer is they

You could probably release oblivion today, without changing the graphics as long as the game is much more stable.

Just think to yourself: I download a 250gb call of duty game... for 3 days... then i play it 12 hours... and now i am done?
What is quantity vs quality.

Gloomwood can probably be played on an onld washingmachine from the 60s...
Well no its Unity but still... people will enjoy a game that doesnt have any technical issues.

• Like 1

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

On 2/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, datiswous said:

I think these games get away with poor graphics under the name "art direction" or "indy".

I also think it's a legit esthetic choice, but even if it was like you say - why not? Indie developers have tiny budgets and if this allows them to make games with interesting gameplay, I'm all for it.

But personally I kinda like this style, been very happy with the wave of "boomer shooters". Even though I think that filtering low-res textures is a mistake.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely. Finally we have more classic-esque games that aren't just Doom and Quake all over the place.

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 1

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/thief-with-guns-stealth-em-up-gloomwood-shoots-into-early-access-in-august

Does that voice sound familiar? It should.
That's Terri Brosius.

Also known as the voice of Shodan from System Shock and Viktoria from Thief

DAMN

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 4

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

14 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Does that voice sound familiar? It should.

That's Terri Brosius.

Also known as the voice of Shodan from System Shock and Viktoria from Thief

DAMN

Well, that rules out sudden throat cancer as a possible cause for why SS3 got sold. I'm happy to hear "Ms. Nightmare Fuel Voice" in any context, but "Thief but with guns" just sounds like a self-defeating concept.