The Dark Mod Forums

Gloomwood

Diego

1 hour ago, Nort said:

Well, that rules out sudden throat cancer as a possible cause for why SS3 got sold.

?

Thief with guns=Dishonored

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

7 minutes ago, lowenz said:

?

Thief with guns=Dishonored

Oh, that's right: There was a gun in that game, wasn't there. It's like with the sword in Thief: Why are game designers so afraid to commit? Just do away with all the lethal stuff, and just focus on one playstyle. Why have a tool that is realistically heard throughout the entire level, and ruins half of the playstyle? I won't play Gloomwood until I'm positive that I never have to bring a gun with me anywhere. I hate guns. Guns and violence is so overused in games that I just want to scream. Games are not inherently murder sims, yet in practice they de facto are. It's very creepy how addicted to killing people are, "for entertainment". We are clearly an evil species.

• Like 2

The Gloomwood demo is actually quite fun and plays smooth. It's been in development forever so it better be good. Guns in Gloomwood are optional (just like Assassins Creed and Dishonored) as your main weapon is a cane (aka blackjack/sword type tool), and it is a very stealthy game. You don't have to pick up the gun when you come across it. I wouldn't discount Gloomwood until after trying the demo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nort said:

Oh, that's right: There was a gun in that game, wasn't there. It's like with the sword in Thief: Why are game designers so afraid to commit? Just do away with all the lethal stuff, and just focus on one playstyle. Why have a tool that is realistically heard throughout the entire level, and ruins half of the playstyle? I won't play Gloomwood until I'm positive that I never have to bring a gun with me anywhere. I hate guns. Guns and violence is so overused in games that I just want to scream. Games are not inherently murder sims, yet in practice they de facto are. It's very creepy how addicted to killing people are, "for entertainment". We are clearly an evil species.

The Void by Ice Pick Lodge has no guns.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, datiswous said:

I think these games get away with poor graphics under the name "art direction" or "indy".

Don't worry, I'm sure loads of people will complain about it when it's released.

Which is pathetic. Every time I read stuff like that "Wow, it looks so great!" on a review of a new AAA game, I can only shake my head. Games are so ridiculously shitty in terms of gameplay these days that I wonder if 99% of the developers worked on the shiny graphics.

This game, on the other hand, looks like something I want to play for a change. Unfortunately, you have to go Indie for such games these days. But then, where's the problem? Shiny graphics are so 2022. ;)

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm playing the early access right now and not complaining about it. The creator's vision is what we get and what we should respect. It's very sneaksie and thief-y and dark and gloomy and creepy so far. Few Thief-inspired games actually properly balance shadow hiding and light-gem meter strategy well, and this game does both very nicely. I'm not obsessed with 100% ghosting by any means, but I feel like this game is designed that you can do that.

• Like 2

I find the light-gem/shadow balance to be quite strange in places, where the ground beneath your feet appears pitch black on default settings, but your light-gem is glowing faintly and you'll be in such a narrow space that you can't help but aggro an enemy (the dogs in the caves are especially hard to ghost past). If you crank up the brightness and gamma, you can see the edges of shadows more clearly but the whole aesthetic of the game is ruined. Sometimes you'll open a door near a light and the baked lightmap is static but your illumination seems to be dynamic, so it looks like there's a shadow flush with the doorway but your gem will light up anyway from direct line-of-sight with the lamp. If there were stencil shadows being drawn, this ambiguity wouldn't happen, or otherwise if enemies had more levels of alert with a forgiving curve, it wouldn't be such a touchy issue.

Several times I thought to myself, "The Dark Mod did this a little bit better..." but these are still early days and I'm sure these features will be improved, since they're so fundamental. Things like light graduation and enemy sensitively levels will probably takes months or years to hone in perfectly and I'm liking what I see so far. The combat is meh, but optional, the world-building seems promising, and I love the look of the game. It's also great to hear the vocal talents of Stephen Weyte and Terri Brosius, though the VO is a bit sparse in the demo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Thief With Guns" is honestly not a good descriptor I find, after having played them back to back. Gloomwood leans half-and-half into immersive stealth AND survival horror. The games aren't very comparable past its stealth elements.

It's the same problem with calling ULTRAKILL "Doom Eternal on a budget". I'm really tiring of these game comparisons that don't actually describe a game well at all. But if it's good advertising... oh well.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Filizitas said:

I too am in the very critical train for gloomwood... but i have to defend them here by stating: The title "Thief with guns" and the Website, were not made by a developer but a fan.

Be careful.

www.thiefwithguns.com directly links to the games steam page. Same thing happens with devilmayquake.com to ULTRAKILL. New Blood definitely does it.

Edited by Something Hank

On 10/10/2022 at 11:06 PM, Something Hank said:

www.thiefwithguns.com directly links to the games steam page. Same thing happens with devilmayquake.com to ULTRAKILL. New Blood definitely does it.

Yes but everyone can do this...

You have no clear evidence here. 

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

Just now, Something Hank said:

Y'know what, could've sworn I've seen tweets of New Blood using exactly those links for advertising, but. Couldn't find them on a search.

Seems I'm wrong. Your win.

I would love to be wrong you know... in this case. Give me ammunition. But i am not going to attack a developer for things that i cant proof. Evidence or it didnt happen.

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

10 minutes ago, Filizitas said:

I would love to be wrong you know... in this case. Give me ammunition. But i am not going to attack a developer for things that i cant proof. Evidence or it didnt happen.

Dude, I get it. I lose.

EDIT: That was snappy of me, sorry. Rough day, I misread.

Edited by Something Hank

• 2 months later...

I bought the game some weeks ago, but, I feel like waiting until it's finished. Nothing worse than play a game, and then reaching a dead end, or playing without features which have yet to be implemented.

I hope it will be finished one day though... you never know with these indie early access games.

Couldn't help but installing it and taking a look. The gameplay is very nice, and the game has a lot of potential. The graphics for me are absolutely sufficient, but, I'm sure that some graphic fetishists will claim the contrary.

There are some odd design decisions though. The inventory is tedious and restrictive. I either hope that it is revised, or that you get a bigger suitcase later. There is no real darkness, so, if an enemy is near enough, it'll always spot you, even in total "darkness". There is no silent weapon to kill guards. With the foil, you will always make some noise when you backstab a guard, which will alert nearby guards. Even when you get the Undertaker Pistol later in the game, although silenced, it will not be a one headshot silent kill weapon. There is no blackjack either, which is a shame. The guards are too wary. The field of vision is too big, so that they spot you even from more than 90° angle. There is no real option against multiple enemies, apart from the ultra noisy "place explosive barrel behind 2 enemies and explode it with the revolver" option. And, last but not least, that beast in the tavern. It's completely overpowered and unbalanced. And it somehow notices when you break into the room with the safe, which will make even sneaking past it much harder.

So, yeah, a game with big potential, but with some really odd design choices, which I don't think contribute to the experience in many cases.

Edited by chakkman

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone (re-)played the game with Market update? I already was impressed before (played the game shortly after the Tavern update), but, I'm even more impressed now. The changes that have been done to gameplay and balancing in the meantime have lead to a very "round" feeling game (it's well balanced on Full Moon difficulty now, while it was a bit too difficult for my liking before), and, the new town area is very, very nice, and feels very "Thief-y" and "Dishonored-y". Nice locations and shops (even with a shopkeeper 😉), and some verticality as well.

Can't wait for the other areas (there's still a lot to come), and, the story shapes up to be really good as well. 

Edited by chakkman