The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.08

stgatilov

I was having a problem with my .cfg file as well. Though this was on 2.07... Dragofer asked me to upload it here so it can be dissected.

Every time I loaded up a mission my computer would momentarily lose power and restart. Deleting this cfg solved the issue. Very strange.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

15 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I guess the one issue with stuck AI:
is the last blocker.

How about these issues:

36. Successful lockpick highlight: too large and bold (link) --- nobody can reproduce it yet.
41. Plot character in The King of Diamonds is stuck in chair making FM unwinnable (link).
42. The guy is killed by collision with floor on knockout (link).

The last two are pretty bad: one causes instant gameover, the other makes FM unwinnable.

51 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

How about these issues:

The last two are pretty bad: one causes instant gameover, the other makes FM unwinnable.

Can we simulate high-fps on lower-tier systems? Like run game tics twice per vid frame?

3 hours ago, duzenko said:

Can we simulate high-fps on lower-tier systems? Like run game tics twice per vid frame?

Disable shadows and something else, set low RenderScale. There are plenty of ways to increase FPS for a developer.

5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

How about these issues:

In fairness, this one:

5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

41. Plot character in The King of Diamonds is stuck in chair making FM unwinnable (link).

1. Is probably fixable with a tiny tweak to the mission (move the character's start point away from the chair would probably be enough), but alas we don't seem to have a mechanism for issuing updates to FMs as part of TDM updates.
  2. This was already an issue with 2.07.

I didn't have enough time but I dmap'ed "King of Diamonds" in 2.08 and played for a bit.

Here is the condump for inspection.

kod_issue.txt

Edit: Dmap in 2.08 does not cure this one. The AI is stuck treadmilling away from his chair...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The area where the guy gets stuck violates two mapping rules:

1. The path_corner is too close to monsterclip.

2. The monsterclip doesn't go up to the ceiling, providing a surface that pathfinding thinks the AI can get to. AI climbing up on desks and tables usually results in them getting stuck, because pathfinding doesn't allow them to get back down.

This should also have failed prior to 2.07, so I'll be testing with 2.06 this weekend.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce this problem.

I'm testing with beta6, and the AI is able to sit down at the desk and subsequently stand up and walk away w/no problem.

I tested this 5x in a row, and he was ok each time.

By whatever means, I'm going to need someone to create a savegame showing the problem, using beta6.

Interesting. Perhaps there is a triggered event that is keeping him in place?

My replication involved lots of setviewpos warping and noclip to get to the room.

When I viewed g_showCollisionModels I saw what looked like a cylinder around the AI but I presumed

it was part of the AI cm setup?

Hello,

just want to report that I had crash to desktop with 3 FMs, and now they run ok with 2.08 :

- King of the Mountain

- The Ravine

- Down By the Riverside

- Sometimes I also have stutering sounds in 2.07 when I switch from menu to game, which take lots of CPU and slow down the game. In order to make sound work well again, I have to return to the game and make noise, like smashing object with blackjack. This sound bug is no longer observed with 2.08.

- In 2.07 I've noticed that EAX is applied on the "pick object sound", I don't know if that was intentional, it feel weird to hear this sound with big echo in a cavern for example.

Bravo and thanks to the tech team, you're doing an amazing job 👍

edit : just found a bug while playing The Ravine, don't know if it's 2.08 related

happened only in water, the compass is displayed under the riverbed. If I turn head to left, compass disappear

ravine-2020-05-24-21-57-43.jpg

Edited by Apiai
add ravine compas bug
  • Like 1

Hello, I would need help to test french translation : 

- I've extracted tdm_base01/strings/all.lang

- I've translated all new strings in the french section

- As I prefer not to modify the original tdm_base01.pk4, I've zipped translated all.lang file into a new pk4 : tdm_base02.pk4 (all.lang is in tdm_base02.pk4/strings/)

- I've put tdm_base02.pk4 in TDM root folder.

- I've launched TDM, but it's not working, I've checked new translated graphics options and they are not translated 😕

How can I test the translations ?

edit : I've made backup of tdm_base01.pk4, then I've updated with french translations, it's now working. I'll post all.lang after correcting some too long texts.

Edited by Apiai

On 4/12/2020 at 7:12 AM, zergrush said:

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I found a weird bug with blackjacking.

If you happen to press middle mouse button + attack with the blackjack select, the animation will play with a weird distortion and the attack will produce neither a sound or damage.

Video below.

https://youtu.be/z4mRSA0kWyY

Is the middle button set to "parry" if so this is a duplicate of:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=4094

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=2509

• Like 1

Maybe thoses texts are hardcoded instead of using str :

"#str_02122"    "Load - Save"
    "#str_02123"    "Load Mission"
    "#str_02124"    "Save Mission"

V2-08-Hardcoded-texts.png

On 5/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, Apiai said:

Black objects with FM Down By the Riverside

river-2020-05-25-01-07-40.jpg

river-2020-05-25-01-09-11.jpg

This skin bug has occurred a lot recently in 2.08 with models whose file paths contain a hyphen (“non-extinguishable”). @stgatilov has recently put all skin definitions into quotation marks to avoid warnings when reading these file paths, and he’s also reworded the associated console error. Paradoxically those changes seem to correlate with the appearance of this bug. I don’t think there were any changes to skin behaviour?

Also, I can’t reproduce this on my end, neither with old nor new versions of the .pk4: the skins work even if they don’t have quotation marks. I do know that nbohr1more was able to get rid of his problem by redownloading the FM.

• Like 1

I'm running into an issue with projected lights. The behavior is different from 2.07 to 2.08, and to my (non-expert) eye it seems to be a regression. I have a light that projects on a wall (for lighting paintings in a museum). I created a simple test case. As you can see in DR, the light does not reach the floor:

dr.thumb.jpg.fb8c3f57f167346513e13871f74ebdce.jpg

In the XY side view (bottom right) you can see that the light boundary doesn't reach the floor. In DM 2.07, it looks like this:

nowandthen_2020-05-28_13_27_03.thumb.jpg.825aebdf2337280358ac5a79456fb8cb.jpg

The light cuts off on the wall, before it reaches the floor. But the exact same map in DM 2.08, the light reaches the floor:

nowandthen_2020-05-28_13_03_29.thumb.jpg.06b8289d8c508275c59a5650a6d5c1b3.jpg

The only mention of projected lights that I can find is this. I can't tell if this is related to what I'm seeing:

On 3/8/2020 at 1:59 AM, stgatilov said:

4) Fixed bug in stencil shadows computation, which was introduced in 2.07 (#5106).
   It affects all parallel and projected lights when mapper runs dmap on a CPU with AVX.
   It is strongly recommended to re-dmap all FMs dmapped with 2.07 if they contain such lights.

Is this a new bug?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

I'm running into an issue with projected lights. The behavior is different from 2.07 to 2.08, and to my (non-expert) eye it seems to be a regression. I have a light that projects on a wall (for lighting paintings in a museum). I created a simple test case. As you can see in DR, the light does not reach the floor:

The light cuts off on the wall, before it reaches the floor. But the exact same map in DM 2.08, the light reaches the floor:

Did you try it in 2.06? Did you try it with shadow maps?
Could you share a test map?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Here is a test map: test.zip

Well, the image is the same in 2.06 and 2.07, but different in 2.08.
It does not depend on shadows, you can even disable them. Hence, it is not related to the changelog entry that you referenced.

Perhaps someone should bisect SVN history and find the culprit.
Could I ask @duzenko do this? 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Well, the image is the same in 2.06 and 2.07, but different in 2.08.
It does not depend on shadows, you can even disable them. Hence, it is not related to the changelog entry that you referenced.

Perhaps someone should bisect SVN history and find the culprit.
Could I ask @duzenko do this? 😉

Over the weekend

• Thanks 1

Probably

Revision: 8100
Author: duzenko
Date: пятница, 29 марта 2019 г. 18:57:44
----
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderSystem_init.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_local.h
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderWorld_load.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderWorld_portals.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/Interaction.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_light.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_lightrun.cpp

I don't get it

It seems as if the BFG treats the light_end param as relative to light_start rather than light_origin. Not sure if it's an intended change or they simply didn't notice the difference

I think it's not practical to revert 8100 so I'm changing the BFG code to match D3/TDM rules.

At revision: 8744

image.png

BTW Could anyone explain the difference between light_target & light_end?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, duzenko said:

Is there any way to show all idPlane fields in the QuickWatch window? (I.e. include the 'd' member)

It already works like that, because idlib.natvis has a rule for it.

Judging from your screenshot, the natvis rule doesn't work for you. Plane data must be inside parentheses, and in your case they are surrounded by braces.