The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.08

stgatilov

The new gamma/brightness controls haven't been working too well for me:
- in 2.08b7, gamma and brightness controls have no effect at all

- in earlier versions of 2.08 (b5 & earlier, didn't play on b6), I've had to use gamma 1.7 instead of my typical 1.2 to see enough in unlit areas to play the game, which looks washed out.

- 2.07 still works fine as before (playable with gamma 1.2 and brightness 1), so I don't think it's to do my with change in PC.

My display card is an AMD RTX 460 with drivers up to date - anything else that might help?

3 hours ago, Dragofer said:

The new gamma/brightness controls haven't been working too well for me:
- in 2.08b7, gamma and brightness controls have no effect at all

Quite hard to believe in "no effect".
Try changing it in console as r_postprocess_gamma, and you will see the difference.

- 2.07 still works fine as before (playable with gamma 1.2 and brightness 1), so I don't think it's to do my with change in PC.

Could you please test it on Saint Lucia FM?
I have recently had to set very high gamma in Hidden Hands, but I think that's specific to that mission.

- in earlier versions of 2.08 (b5 & earlier, didn't play on b6), I've had to use gamma 1.7 instead of my typical 1.2 to see enough in unlit areas to play the game, which looks washed out.

The brightness and gamma do work differently from how they worked in 2.07, because now 1) what was called "postprocessing" is always enabled, and 2) gamma correction is applied before postprocessing, and not after it.

You can use r_ambientMinLevel if you just want to see everything.
Or you can go through r_postprocess_* cvars and set everything except gamma to its "don't do anything" value, which is usually either 0 or 1.

Thanks for the replies - I can confirm that neither the gamma nor brightness menu sliders, nor r_postprocess_gamma had any effect in Tears of St. Lucia. Looking into my darkmod.cfg, I could see the values I had set for r_postprocess_gamma & brightness, and r_tonemap was 1. Setting r_ambientMinLevel 0.1 looked similar to what increasing gamma looks like, but I consider that a workaround.

It occurred to me that I could delete my darkmod.cfg to get a new one - this has restored my gamma/brightness functionality back to what I'm used to from earlier versions. Here's the old darkmod.cfg with non-working gamma/brightness settings: Darkmod.cfg

It's weird: in the course of the 2.08 beta I've seen several people getting weird problems that were resolved by deleting their darkmod.cfg (very low fps in specific areas, computer shutting down after the "Press attack to start" screen, gamma/brightness not working). I reckon it might be worth collecting as many of these corrupted darkmod.cfg's as possible in one place for analysis.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's all bad configs. I think OpenGL cache can cause problems.

When I upgraded to beta 7, the lightgem no longer worked.

I reset my config then it worked then I went back to my previous settings and everything worked as well.

I know that the Dolphin emulator has some code designed to force cache clearing when render changes happen

between builds...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

10 hours ago, stgatilov said:

If you want an adventure, build TDM from sources, including all third-party libraries.
Perhaps rebuilt OpenAL would work for you.

Thanks. I got it working by jumbling things a bit with phononsettings and re-selecting my pulseaudio device. I tried switching phonon backend from VLC to gstreamer, to no avail, and back again. Also, in pulseaudio mixer I tried switching from stereo to 2.1 and back. Next thing I know, TDM is making it to the speakers again.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

12 minutes ago, grayman said:

When I read a readable, the whole screen tints darker.

Did someone make a design choice? I don't remember seeing this behavior before.

That has been the case for some time...should be only the background that gets darker though, not the readable itself.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, peter_spy said:

In general, FMs that are currently in beta should not be used as example to troubleshoot new version of the engine. There are too many variables to take into account, and usually bugs are result of mapper's work in progress. Released missions that have been thoroughly tested and updated by mappers post-launch are much more reliable source material, and even those can have bugs that were not caught around the time of release.

Nonsense.

I have started my map when 2.07 was the latest version.

Since it is very likely that players will use 2.08 for my mission (and I anticipate the same goes for The Painter' Wife"), I switched my 2.07 mission to 2.08 beta as well.

Unfortunately, 2.08  shows severe non-mapping problems I would have to fix for a 2.08 release (especially when it comes to AI behaviour) anyway.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Unfortunately, 2.08  shows severe non-mapping problems I would have to fix for a 2.08 release (especially when it comes to AI behaviour) anyway.

And you’ve filed bug reports on the AI behavior problems?

50 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Nonsense.

The only nonsensical thing here is your unfounded cocky attitude, but I guess that's due to lack of technical experience. It's perfectly normal to do a "code freeze" and stick to last stable version of a software when testing, because that helps pinpoint the source of bugs faster. Asking devs to brute force the event limit was a perfect example of being clueless in that regard.

Fortunately, TDM devs know what they're doing, even with mappers being somewhat chaotic in their approach.

[Edit]

To clarify further, testing mission beta or WIP in conjunction with engine beta is like opening a can of worms. You're making your life harder for no reason. If your mission works well with last stable version of the engine, it's reasonable to expect that it will work like that as well with the next incremental update.

Edited by peter_spy

5 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Asking devs to brute force the event limit was a perfect example of being clueless in that regard.

Which is exactly why I wrote "I'll sit back now and let the real TDM developers tell me why I'm wrong" after suggesting that. I was admitting that I was clueless. I also spent several hours trying to recreate the problem on two separate missions (turns out it was two separate issues). I've learned my lesson - just recreate the problem and hand it off, don't try to figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello to everyone!

Found an interesting behavior in Linux related to the FPS counter in menu (and in game) 😅

On Linux (by default), the FPS counter is kept at around 50.

If enabled option "Uncap FPS", then FPS will be 60. And the option "Max FPS" has no effect on this number of FPS.

Linux computer configuration:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core, 3.4GHz)
ram: 16Gb
video card: AMD Radeon R9 280
OS: Xubuntu 20.04 (Linux 5.4.0-33, Mesa 20.0.4, amdgpu driver)

Checked this behavior in version 2.08_beta-007 (build 8755).

TDM_2.08beta7_UncapFPS-OFF_Linux.jpg

TDM_2.08beta7_UncapFPS-ON_Linux.jpg

I remember there being some discussion about the lockpick red and green glows not displaying properly.

I don't know if anyone made a correction for this, but in beta7 I can barely see these glowing overlays. (they're properly red and green, but faint)

17 hours ago, grayman said:

I remember there being some discussion about the lockpick red and green glows not displaying properly.
I don't know if anyone made a correction for this, but in beta7 I can barely see these glowing overlays. (they're properly red and green, but faint)

Nobody did.
So far the problem does not reproduce when a developer wants, although many people have seen it at various times.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, r.a.sattarov said:

Thanks a lot 👍 Confused that in Windows this option is set to off, but there by default 60 fps (and with "Uncap FPS = OFF" too).

I'm not sure if you got the fps issue solved or not. This might be related, but my experience relates to an Nvidia card and not an AMD.

I had vsync disabled and was still getting 60fps in TDM even after setting uncap to on, etc. In the case of the nvidia card, I needed to go into nvidiasettings and set the opengl performance slider to any value. In my case, I was changing the slider from "high quality" to "quality" and back again to "high quality". It didn't matter which setting I put it on, as long as I changed the quality setting before launching TDM. Then TDM would get 400 or 1000fps at the main menu, whichever the cap is set to (currently 400fps in TDM 2.08). I have no idea if an AMD card will behave this way.

• Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

On 5/17/2020 at 7:01 AM, Araneidae said:

OK.  It would have been easier if there was somewhere for me to upload the save file, but here are the steps (I've marked two steps which I think count as spoilers):

• Start a new mission for The King of Diamonds (difficulty irrelevant)
  • Go to initial rendezvous at 219.72 -27.49 274.25 23.3 70.2 0.0 as required in briefing, pick up documents as requested.
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Pickpocket key from engineer character, somewhere near -244.39 1132.31 52.7 -6.3 45.5 0.0

• Unlock door at 2082.19 1702.78 66.25 -7.9 58.3 0.0 (after picking door behind you)
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Climb onto pipe at 2547.04 1729.14 260.25 -9.7 -3.3 0.0

• Enter compound, go up stairs, go through door straightahead, go into loft, and reach locked door at 1754.17 3027.94 468.25 8.0 -21.6 0.0. 
  • This door is locked, is unpickable, and the key is held by the trapped character inside.  His coordinates are close to 2172.21 3014.55 439.48 15.7 176.0 0.0: to my surprise I was able to walk inside his character mode, which is where that coordinate comes from.

Please try this repaired version of King of Diamonds:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g_DpaOp9NuqBeHsxbT3mv-ugIQ-nIs2E/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:55 AM, grayman said:

I've just started seeing a very strange behaviour of the lockpick overlay: at the very start of a green lockpick a large opaque green octagon momentarily overlays the entire lockpick image.  Maybe there's a problem with my graphics?  I haven't rebooted for a while, have to do that and see if the issue goes away.

3 hours ago, Araneidae said:

I've just started seeing a very strange behaviour of the lockpick overlay: at the very start of a green lockpick a large opaque green octagon momentarily overlays the entire lockpick image.  Maybe there's a problem with my graphics?  I haven't rebooted for a while, have to do that and see if the issue goes away.

Same thing reported here:

Incidentally, I believe this has happened as far back as 2.06 but it has only recently been conspicuous and fairly reproducible.

• Like 1