The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.08

stgatilov

10 hours ago, Araneidae said:

That's definitely made a difference: our NPC is on the prowl at last!

Thanks for the confirmation. The repair has been uploaded to the mission repository.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Issue (?)

In Fullscreen Mode the game literally ignores every not-native resolution, it always reverts to the native one after a different selection (if you have the classic FHD screen I mean 1280x720 or 3840x2160 via DSR/VSR) and related restarting.

Both GeForce and Radeon, Windows 10 x64 May 2020.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

13 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Issue (?)

In Fullscreen Mode the game literally ignores every not-native resolution, it always reverts to the native one after a different selection (if you have the classic FHD screen I mean 1280x720 or 3840x2160 via DSR/VSR) and related restarting.

Both GeForce and Radeon, Windows 10 x64 May 2020.

I think it stands so since 2.06.
The ChangeDisplaySettings was disabled completely, so your OS resolution is never changed by TDM.

• Like 1

So why keep the option now that we have r_fboresolution? (Please extend the range to 2)

It belongs only to windowed mode.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

1 hour ago, lowenz said:

So why keep the option now that we have r_fboresolution? (Please extend the range to 2)
It belongs only to windowed mode.

I had some thoughts about graying it out when mode is not Windowed.
Also about graying FPS cap out when uncapped FPS is off (suggested by @r.a.sattarov).
It's just a matter of someone coming and doing it (as far as I understand, a pretty bug chunk of GUI code has to be added in order to make a setting gray out 😥)

P.S. You can set r_fboResolution to 2 in console, it's just the GUI slider which does not support supersampling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

P.S. You can set r_fboResolution to 2 in console, it's just the GUI slider which does not support supersampling.

Exactly, why locking the range to 1 as maximum? 😐

Edited by lowenz

Some people will try to set every graphical setting to its maximum if they have a decent system, but for something so ridiculously expensive like supersampling, that might be deceptive. I'd argue that it's an advanced setting for people who know what they're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not that expensive via FBO, I got 34 FPS vs 66 FPS (MSAA 4x) in the same scene. A simple RX 570 (2017!) with the memory clocked to 2 GHz.

You only need bandwidth 😛

Edited by lowenz

Then I'd suspect you're testing the wrong scene, or your other settings are too light. Setting FBO resolution to 2 (which means 4x the pixels!) takes twice as much GPU time for my RTX 2080 Ti at the Briarwood Manor opening, for example. It's already impressive that it doesn't take 4x as much time, but it *is* by far the most expensive graphical option there is.

• Like 3

Same results with 4K desktop resolution!

4K -> 34 FPS

4K.jpg

4K+MSAA 4x -> 27 FPS

4-K-MSAA4x.jpg

4K FBOR2 (virtual 8K / 33,2 megapixel) -> 11 FPS

4K-FBOR2.jpg

Edited by lowenz

11 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Then I'd suspect you're testing the wrong scene, or your other settings are too light. Setting FBO resolution to 2 (which means 4x the pixels!) takes twice as much GPU time for my RTX 2080 Ti at the Briarwood Manor opening, for example. It's already impressive that it doesn't take 4x as much time, but it *is* by far the most expensive graphical option there is.

Arguably SS maxed out could be more expensive but I'm not sure how much samples the highest GUI option binds to in 2.08.

11 hours ago, lowenz said:

Exactly, why locking the range to 1 as maximum? 😐

We already have angry reports from "high-end PC" gamers that they can't get 60 fps at 4K 16xMSAA and SS maxed out

Imagine their pain when they can add 2x scaling into equation

I'd even go as far in the opposite direction and disable MSAA higher than 4 in GUI

So the answer is: to prevent non-technical user from getting trapped in a slide show and spreading negative feedback over the Internet.

Anyone knowing what they're doing should _experiment_ with high settings via game console, already suspecting possible performance loss.

If you're curious, the original reason for that is related to FBO changes. You may know that TDM has been fixed to run in user's desktop resolution (at least on Windows), to improve 2D font rendering, work around screen flashes when alt-tabbing, and obsolete the legacy screen resolution maintenance routine. Now the scaling option was specifically added for low-end systems that are too slow to render 3D in full resolution. It was a side effect noticed later that it could be used as a kind of VSR or AA alternative. So the >1 values are for advanced users who already have a working alternative of MSAA.

Some numbers and strange issues testing Maps vs "old" Stencil

Maps: good performance AND correct SSAO

Maps.jpg

Stencil: bad performance (same settings of Maps) - 100% GPU utilisation with lower FPS - and see that AO missing on the safe horizontal bar 

Stencil.jpg

Edited by lowenz

A strange behaviour about switching the shadows type:

1) Loading mission with Maps -> 55 FPS (see the screenshot of a New Job fm)

2) Switching to Stencil -> 28 FPS

3) Switching back to Maps -> 49 FPS (-6 FPS! )

We got a memory leak or something like that? Garbage collector not working?

Edited by lowenz

4 hours ago, lowenz said:

A strange behaviour about switching the shadows type:

1) Loading mission with Maps -> 55 FPS (see the screenshot of a New Job fm)

2) Switching to Stencil -> 28 FPS

3) Switching back to Maps -> 49 FPS (-6 FPS! )

We got a memory leak or something like that? Garbage collector not working?

Try quick save/load

Most likely duplicated light interactions in the engine render cache

On 6/17/2020 at 7:50 PM, stgatilov said:

I had some thoughts about graying it out 

When someone will implement the "graying out" please add to the list the HRTF option when a non-stereo speakers setup is detected.

For now please add the text " (for stereo speakers setup only) " along HRTF.

Edited by lowenz

11 minutes ago, lowenz said:

When someone will implement the "graying out" please add to the list the HRTF option when a non-stereo sound setup system is detected.

The last time I checked the detection from OpenAL did not properly. So there is no way to do it.

For now please add the text " (for stereo sound system only) " along HRTF

As soon as menu tooltips are implemented, it would be done easily.

However, I have not yet seen any sort of demo of design proposal for them.

• Like 1

I mean directly in the text field of the option for now :D

OpenAL EAX

OpenAL HRTF  (use for stereo speakers setup only)

SFX Volume

Ambient Volume

etc etc

Edited by lowenz