The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.08

stgatilov

GPU comparison:

*GeForce 8800M GTS    64@500 MHz 256 Bit @800 MHz

vs

*GeForce 9600M GT    32@500 MHz 128 Bit @800 MHz

So virtually Pascal8888 can run TDM in that FM scene exactly @28 FPS using a scaling factor of 0,761904

it's not bad for a 13 yo mobile GPU.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

1 hour ago, Pascal8888 said:

However, it ran without AA, e.t.c, under 2.07 smoothly with 40 to 60 frames under 1680x1050

Try to do an update by deleting everything but .pk4 files and the fms folder. Launch the game and go to video settings. Start with 1024 x 600 resolution (IIUC you need 16:10 aspect ratio). Vsync can be On, Antialiasing should be off by default. Since you got 512 megs of VRAM, set Anisotropic Filtering to x2 or x4. Switch tab to Advanced. Set FOV to e.g. 80 or lower, Shadows Implementation to Stencil, Soft Shadows to Off. Uncap FPS On, Color Precision 32 bits, Ambient Occlusion Off, Bloom Off, Multi Core Enhancement On.

If the framerate is okay, you can work from here and start turning stuff on or increasing values.

Btw. stuff like EFX and HRTF (Audio) eat up CPU power, especially with older hardware, so you may want to turn it off as well.

Edited by peter_spy

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

This isn't really the best place to ask this, but I can't think of anywhere better to ask.

Where is the screenshot used for the 2.08 release post (below) taken from?

It looks great, and I'd love to visit that scene.

I was going to guess The Painter's Wife, but after playing a good amount of it I doubt that's where it's from.

LPGtN49.png

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

6 minutes ago, demagogue said:

This isn't really the best place to ask this, but I can't think of anywhere better to ask.

Where is the screenshot used for the 2.08 release post (below) taken from?

It looks great, and I'd love to visit that scene.

I was going to guess The Painter's Wife, but after playing a good amount of it I doubt that's where it's from.

LPGtN49.png

This is a work-in-progress screen from a mission that Spooks is working on... :)

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

6 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Second that

The option is usually useless but in this case it can do all the difference

And the same goes with image/normal compression

As has been mentioned already, 2.08 uses more VRAM with the new triple buffer vertex cache. (Wait, or was it 2.07?)

But it also does persistent mapping on modern GPUs with a fallback to yet another temporary VBO which can result in all kinds of issues on old low end systems.

@Pascal8888

Please report your VRAM usage as shown with e.g. Afterburner or Windows 10 Task manager

I agree that image_downSize can help. Textures takes a lot of VRAM.

3 hours ago, duzenko said:

As has been mentioned already, 2.08 uses more VRAM with the new triple buffer vertex cache. (Wait, or was it 2.07?)

It is 2.08.

1 hour ago, lowenz said:

They're ALL still applying to 2.08?

Most likely only a small fraction still makes sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pascal8888 said:

In "Painter's Wife" the game crashes with the error message "too little Vram of the GPU"

Did you try the 64 bit executable? Also bear in mind that this FM wasn't even playable before 2.08, due to how many limits it hit. It may not be the best idea for your hardware.

For Pascal: this is what you can get with a simple Intel HD 630(!) with 8-16 GB system RAM as VRAM maintaining an acceptable framerate - darkmod.cfg in the attachment

newjob-2020-07-08-13-41-30.jpg

Darkmod.cfg

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

28 minutes ago, Pascal8888 said:

I use the 64x startind file.

Here a screensjot from the "Omen"-Mod at the beginning. Max. 30 frames.

bcd_2020-07-08_14.04.53.jpg

Well, it's a good value 😐 (Please, don't use FRAPS, it's not really on par with today Windows and its driver infrastructure, maybe switch to Afterburner+RTSS)

If you're interested this is how the most basic Intel GPU (HD 630) scales with internal resolution (with all the advanced effects off, Objects LoD set to "high" )

*0.666667 (1280x720 with a 1920x1080 desktop resolution)

0666667.jpg

*1 (1920x1080)

1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pascal8888 said:

This is the crash at "Painters wife"

Vram-Error

Try the following:

1. Create autocommands.cfg (text file) in your root TDM folder.
2. Paste these values and save:

image_useCompression "1"

image_useNormalCompression "1"

3. Run the mission. If this doesn't help, set image_useNormalCompression to 2.

If that's still not enough, paste values below and save the file again:

image_downSize 1
image_downSizeLimit 512

image_downSizeBump 1
image_downSizeBumpLimit 512
image_downSizeSpecular 1
image_downSizeSpecularLimit 512

That's probably the limit of what you can do, if it doesn't work after the above, it just won't work.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

Try the following:

1. Create autocommands.cfg (text file) in your root TDM folder.
2. Paste these values and save:

3. Run the mission. If this doesn't help, set image_useNormalCompression to 2.

If that's still not enough, paste values below and save the file again:

That's probably the limit of what you can do, if it doesn't work after the above, it just won't work.

Unfortunately it didn't work. Thank you anyway. The other for the tips too!

You shouldn't really feel guilty though, you'll have problems with this FM even with much better hardware. It loads for almost 3 minutes on a PC with GTX 1060 with 6 gigs of vram, a six-core i7-8800 4.2 Ghz, and 32 gigs of system ram. This is with all the significant speed improvements 2.07 and 2.08 made.

In comparison, a reasonably-sized (and, for what is worth, very good, gameplay-wise) city mission like Snowed Inn loads in 30 seconds on the same rig.

Edited by peter_spy

• 2 weeks later...