The Dark Mod Forums
stgatilov

Beta Testing 2.08

7 hours ago, joebarnin said:
[Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this discussion.]

I think a separate thread would be better.

I acknowledge that this is a rather brute force fix. I'm not suggesting that 20480 is the best size to use. But, to me, it looks like there are a couple of large missions that are pushing up against the event limit. Perhaps it is time to consider bumping up this limit, as part of 2.08?

Why would someone want more than 10K events per frame?
The main question is: what are all these events, and why are there so many.
The problem is that there is no limit that would be enough for everyone. Someone could always write a loop over all entities and exceed any preset limit.

• Like 1

Question: f_fboresolutionscale what kind of rescaler uses?

It works really well (performance wise) with the Intel "integrated" GPUs.

newjob-2020-06-06-10-18-48.jpg

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

4 hours ago, lowenz said:

Question: f_fboresolutionscale what kind of rescaler uses?

It works really well (performance wise) with the Intel "integrated" GPUs.

opengl's default bilinear AFAIR

LOL, did you mean to quote 'GPUs' instead of 'integrated'?

Ahahah :D

Isn't it possible to add bicubic or some other rescaling option?

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

1 hour ago, lowenz said:

Isn't it possible to add bicubic or some other rescaling option?

I think it is possible, but it would require writing one more shader. So not for 2.08...
No idea which rescaling is best though.
Nbohr1more has complained that even with natural scale like r_fboResolution 0.5 the picture looks blurred, voting for "nearest" filtering 😲
So opinions differ here...

On 5/17/2020 at 7:01 AM, Araneidae said:

OK.  It would have been easier if there was somewhere for me to upload the save file, but here are the steps (I've marked two steps which I think count as spoilers):

• Start a new mission for The King of Diamonds (difficulty irrelevant)
  • Go to initial rendezvous at 219.72 -27.49 274.25 23.3 70.2 0.0 as required in briefing, pick up documents as requested.
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Pickpocket key from engineer character, somewhere near -244.39 1132.31 52.7 -6.3 45.5 0.0

• Unlock door at 2082.19 1702.78 66.25 -7.9 58.3 0.0 (after picking door behind you)
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Climb onto pipe at 2547.04 1729.14 260.25 -9.7 -3.3 0.0

• Enter compound, go up stairs, go through door straightahead, go into loft, and reach locked door at 1754.17 3027.94 468.25 8.0 -21.6 0.0. 
  • This door is locked, is unpickable, and the key is held by the trapped character inside.  His coordinates are close to 2172.21 3014.55 439.48 15.7 176.0 0.0: to my surprise I was able to walk inside his character mode, which is where that coordinate comes from.

@Araneidae

Please update to the latest Beta and try setting:

tdm_ai_opt_disable 0

in the console.

This has cured the issue for me thus far.

Nevermind, after more testing the problem popped up with this setting too. Oh well.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

New motherboard, new audio chip. Again, I cannot use seta s_device "default" and have configured with seta s_device "HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog (CARD=Generic,DEV=0)"
In a previous post I had got audio working by manually editing the .cfg. Now when I do it to use my new audio chip, I get this in the console:

OpenAL: found device 'HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog (CARD=Generic,DEV=0)' (A
CTIVE)
OpenAL: found device 'HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Digital (CARD=Generic,DEV=1)'
OpenAL: failed to open device 'HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog (CARD=Generic,D
EV=0)' (0xa004), using default

From 'aplay -l' :

[john@pranqster Desktop]$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 12: HDMI 6 [HDMI 6]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC1220 Analog [ALC1220 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC1220 Digital [ALC1220 Digital]

From 'lspci -v' :

2f:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device cc37
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 66
        Memory at f7900000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
        Capabilities: [48] Vendor Specific Information: Len=08 <?>
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
        Capabilities: [64] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [a0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [100] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=010 <?>
        Capabilities: [150] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [2a0] Access Control Services
        Capabilities: [370] Transaction Processing Hints
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

Latest Mageia Linux Cauldron version blah blah blah. I'm done with updating 'uname -a' results in this sig.

1 hour ago, PranQster said:

New motherboard, new audio chip. Again, I cannot use seta s_device "default" and have configured with seta s_device "HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog (CARD=Generic,DEV=0)"
In a previous post I had got audio working by manually editing the .cfg. Now when I do it to use my new audio chip, I get this in the console:

OpenAL: failed to open device 'HD-Audio Generic, ALC1220 Analog (CARD=Generic,D
EV=0)' (0xa004), using default

If you want an adventure, build TDM from sources, including all third-party libraries.
Perhaps rebuilt OpenAL would work for you.

• Like 2

The new gamma/brightness controls haven't been working too well for me:
- in 2.08b7, gamma and brightness controls have no effect at all

- in earlier versions of 2.08 (b5 & earlier, didn't play on b6), I've had to use gamma 1.7 instead of my typical 1.2 to see enough in unlit areas to play the game, which looks washed out.

- 2.07 still works fine as before (playable with gamma 1.2 and brightness 1), so I don't think it's to do my with change in PC.

My display card is an AMD RTX 460 with drivers up to date - anything else that might help?

3 hours ago, Dragofer said:

The new gamma/brightness controls haven't been working too well for me:
- in 2.08b7, gamma and brightness controls have no effect at all

Quite hard to believe in "no effect".
Try changing it in console as r_postprocess_gamma, and you will see the difference.

- 2.07 still works fine as before (playable with gamma 1.2 and brightness 1), so I don't think it's to do my with change in PC.

Could you please test it on Saint Lucia FM?
I have recently had to set very high gamma in Hidden Hands, but I think that's specific to that mission.

- in earlier versions of 2.08 (b5 & earlier, didn't play on b6), I've had to use gamma 1.7 instead of my typical 1.2 to see enough in unlit areas to play the game, which looks washed out.

The brightness and gamma do work differently from how they worked in 2.07, because now 1) what was called "postprocessing" is always enabled, and 2) gamma correction is applied before postprocessing, and not after it.

You can use r_ambientMinLevel if you just want to see everything.
Or you can go through r_postprocess_* cvars and set everything except gamma to its "don't do anything" value, which is usually either 0 or 1.

Gamma IS working ;)

r_ambientGamma is usually what I adjust. I generally don't need the whole scene gamma adjusted, just the ambient levels.

Perhaps you accidentally ended up with r_tonemap 0? In which case postprocess gamma would be disabled and not take any effect.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - I can confirm that neither the gamma nor brightness menu sliders, nor r_postprocess_gamma had any effect in Tears of St. Lucia. Looking into my darkmod.cfg, I could see the values I had set for r_postprocess_gamma & brightness, and r_tonemap was 1. Setting r_ambientMinLevel 0.1 looked similar to what increasing gamma looks like, but I consider that a workaround.

It occurred to me that I could delete my darkmod.cfg to get a new one - this has restored my gamma/brightness functionality back to what I'm used to from earlier versions. Here's the old darkmod.cfg with non-working gamma/brightness settings: Darkmod.cfg

It's weird: in the course of the 2.08 beta I've seen several people getting weird problems that were resolved by deleting their darkmod.cfg (very low fps in specific areas, computer shutting down after the "Press attack to start" screen, gamma/brightness not working). I reckon it might be worth collecting as many of these corrupted darkmod.cfg's as possible in one place for analysis.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's all bad configs. I think OpenGL cache can cause problems.

When I upgraded to beta 7, the lightgem no longer worked.

I reset my config then it worked then I went back to my previous settings and everything worked as well.

I know that the Dolphin emulator has some code designed to force cache clearing when render changes happen

between builds...

10 hours ago, stgatilov said:

If you want an adventure, build TDM from sources, including all third-party libraries.
Perhaps rebuilt OpenAL would work for you.

Thanks. I got it working by jumbling things a bit with phononsettings and re-selecting my pulseaudio device. I tried switching phonon backend from VLC to gstreamer, to no avail, and back again. Also, in pulseaudio mixer I tried switching from stereo to 2.1 and back. Next thing I know, TDM is making it to the speakers again.

• Like 1

Latest Mageia Linux Cauldron version blah blah blah. I'm done with updating 'uname -a' results in this sig.

When I read a readable, the whole screen tints darker.

Did someone make a design choice? I don't remember seeing this behavior before.

12 minutes ago, grayman said:

When I read a readable, the whole screen tints darker.

Did someone make a design choice? I don't remember seeing this behavior before.

That has been the case for some time...should be only the background that gets darker though, not the readable itself.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:19 PM, peter_spy said:

In general, FMs that are currently in beta should not be used as example to troubleshoot new version of the engine. There are too many variables to take into account, and usually bugs are result of mapper's work in progress. Released missions that have been thoroughly tested and updated by mappers post-launch are much more reliable source material, and even those can have bugs that were not caught around the time of release.

Nonsense.

I have started my map when 2.07 was the latest version.

Since it is very likely that players will use 2.08 for my mission (and I anticipate the same goes for The Painter' Wife"), I switched my 2.07 mission to 2.08 beta as well.

Unfortunately, 2.08  shows severe non-mapping problems I would have to fix for a 2.08 release (especially when it comes to AI behaviour) anyway.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Unfortunately, 2.08  shows severe non-mapping problems I would have to fix for a 2.08 release (especially when it comes to AI behaviour) anyway.

And you’ve filed bug reports on the AI behavior problems?

50 minutes ago, JackFarmer said:

Nonsense.

The only nonsensical thing here is your unfounded cocky attitude, but I guess that's due to lack of technical experience. It's perfectly normal to do a "code freeze" and stick to last stable version of a software when testing, because that helps pinpoint the source of bugs faster. Asking devs to brute force the event limit was a perfect example of being clueless in that regard.

Fortunately, TDM devs know what they're doing, even with mappers being somewhat chaotic in their approach.

[Edit]

To clarify further, testing mission beta or WIP in conjunction with engine beta is like opening a can of worms. You're making your life harder for no reason. If your mission works well with last stable version of the engine, it's reasonable to expect that it will work like that as well with the next incremental update.

Edited by peter_spy

5 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

Asking devs to brute force the event limit was a perfect example of being clueless in that regard.

Which is exactly why I wrote "I'll sit back now and let the real TDM developers tell me why I'm wrong" after suggesting that. I was admitting that I was clueless. I also spent several hours trying to recreate the problem on two separate missions (turns out it was two separate issues). I've learned my lesson - just recreate the problem and hand it off, don't try to figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1