The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Good Neighbor (2020/03/08)

Amadeus

Congratulations on your release. I took a quick look, n it looks very nice. Will play it properly tomorrow. 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

23 minutes ago, NeonsStyle said:

Congratulations on your release. I took a quick look, n it looks very nice. Will play it properly tomorrow. 

Thanks Neon! Let me know what you think

Great mission - well done 🙂

Is it possible to

Spoiler

get to the area beyond the gates (the part where you can hear horses and see a guard walking around)? If so could use a hint...

• Like 1

hey @demilich666! Glad you like it :) 

And no, it is not. It's just there for show to make the world seem bigger than it actually is.

Sorry to hear about your crashing by the way. Is it just on my map, or other maps too???

• Like 1

Hi @Amadeus, not it's not just your map, so don't worry 🙂 It played really well to be honest, I didn't have any performance issues or anything.

BTW I did actually finish the mission, with

Spoiler

2000 loot right on the nose!  I was a bit relieved as I have no idea where the rest of it is!

Still playing it, but a few thoughts.  For a first mission, this is deeply impressive work. Well done.

As an artist, I love the painting you did for the loading screen too. Very loose style, and lovely

use of colour. 

First. I love the design, it's really nicely detailed, and well layed out, if a little linear at first play it seems.  Love the story,

and really like the use and creative use of the Moorish AI. They aren't used enough. A different reflection would be

better I think in the wet area, as it's a little unrealistic. However the design of that area is really well done. Once you

get past that, into the tunnel, there's a problem getting over the step once you get past that door (green light). You have

to mantle over a 8 inch step lol. I'm guessing this is because of the height of the gap. 

All in all, a first class mission. Really well done with inventive use of assets and mix of modules and

custom brushwork (which in my view is the only way to get a unique design). I also loved the 

refreshing new location, and the dirt streets really helped that a lot, though I think patches

for corners could've concealed the harsh corners of the grass verge. 

The cellar in the shop was beautifully done, as as others have said, quite creepy. The touch of the footsteps

was perfectly timed, made me jump lol. 

Stuck:

Is the Moors note in cash box some sort of TDM meme or something? I assume it relates to the code. I'm afraid I just don't get it. lol 

I really felt on Expert, you were overly harsh with the resources. 1 Moss and 4 Water just isn't enough, though there

is very good use of shadows. Another criticism, is we're told not to use the front door of the inn, but.... spoiler

Once you get through the sewer and come out into the kitchen in the Inn, you find yourself in the same room

you would be in if you came in through the front door, so it didn't seem I needed to go through all that sewer at

all (other than set the power). A better choice, would be to have the sewer route come out into the upstairs of the Inn maybe through a dumb

waiter. That way you'd feel like the sewer route was worth it. Especially since there was only once piece of loot

down there I think. The guys purse.  

However I do have one big bug bear. The visual and aural acuity of the AI have been left them at the default 100% which gives them perfect

vision and perfect hearing which no one has. Humans are always prone to missing things, and you should account for that. 85%

is a good setting for the, though I like to vary it a bit based on what you think the guys intelligence is. The problem is that you end

up having to do things over and over and over because a guard heard you creep, or crouch walk, or bump something, things you'd

never normally hear or see. 

If you do an update, then I'd fix both those problems. Maybe make the step a ramp. 

Edited by NeonsStyle
Additions
  • Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

@NeonsStyle Thanks for the kind words and the detailed feedback, I really do appreciate it. I realize I may have gone a little over the top with the flooded basement, but you live you learn. Also, full credit for the loading screen actually goes to Spooks. He has been kind enough to let me use his fantastic painting for my mission, so all props definitely go to him in that regard.

the moors note isn't an easter egg or anything. Just wanted to find a way to show the player that he really is a foreign merchant. I was even thinking of making up a language too, but I decided that that might be too gimmicky.

As for the resources, you do have to earn what you want. there are some scattered about, you just have to find them. I realize that the inventory might seem punishing, but that is kind of what I was going for, especially since this is a relatively small map.

The AI acuity thing is a thing I can look into, because I do plan on doing an update in the near(ish) future to fix bugs and such. I thought 100% was the default. Do you have any suggestions (I'm not going to change the mage though, he's meant to be the "final boss of sorts")

• Like 2

A fun, compact mod. Good NPC variety though as the chap above mentioned they do all seem to have super senses. Got spotted a couple times while stood stock still in the dark but not too much of a problem to get around, just had to give NPCs more space than I would usually.

Secrets wise spent past couple of days combing when work has allowed the time and have found three out of five only so far;

Spoiler

1. The Deer-man's Dungeon behind the bookcase in the Shop storeroom
2. The Thief's reward above the greenhouse at the back of the pub
3. The gems in the water tank in the flooded powerplant basement

I have a feeling that there is something I'm missing in the guy over the way's house from our character's place but other than the fun surprise with the chest can't find anything, though I have noticed that if you look up at the inside of the doorframe for the door that goes onto his balcony (with door open) there is a section that seems to be made of a different material. Is that something or just a texture mishap?

I have to know as well, is the emerald inside the purple orb in the shop actually obtainable?

Hey Lzocast, thanks for playing!

I'm not sure I'm familiar with what section your talking about in the neighbors house, maybe send a screenshot.

And no, that emerald is just for show.

• Like 1

I will echo all the praise given; the constructive criticism I had has already been stated so I won't retread. I did experience a crash trying to lean through the shop door, but didn't try it elsewhere.

When I couldn't pick up the bottles in room 3 I was confused, but the answer has been laid out here.

I've found one more secret:

Spoiler

on a windowsill

I think that's 4/5 found between us now?

I'm looking at the bookcase, but can't find a way to open it

Hey, thanks for playing! Glad you like it! As far as the crash goes, peeking through keyholes is problematic if you are running 32-bit Dark Mod

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrMunkeepants said:

I'm looking at the bookcase, but can't find a way to open it

Spoiler

Look for a button elsewhere in the shop; be prepared to move things.

- prjames

Also, I found secret 5...

Spoiler

In the room near your house (where there's a diary by someone who's been watching you), look carefully for another button/switch.

Edited by prjames

15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

@kin

I won't be giving out specific hints just yet, but it sounds like you have everything you need to put the pieces together. Good luck!

Spoiler

I got half the code in the fireplace but stuckwith the other two digits

@AmadeusCheers for confirming that, was driving me nuts trying to find a way to get at the gem. The weird texture seems to have vanished upon reloading today so maybe just my install of Dark Mod being daft.

3206 loot (so still missing something somewhere) but all 5 secrets now and I see the other folks found them before me;

Spoiler

I feel like I'm writing Mario64 Star names

1. Deer-man's Dungeon (Shop Storeroom behind bookcase)
2. Thief's Reward (above greenhouse behind pub)
3. Gems in watertank (in flooded power plant basement)
4. Windowbox tricky hops (above decrepit shrine)
5. Paranoid Neighbour's Secret Stash (Press F to lean)

Once again mate, tremendous fun looking forward to seeing more out of you in the future.

• Thanks 1

AI levels around 85% are pretty good, 90 if he's a pretty sharp person ur mind, 75 if a pagan or bit of dimwit n less if he's drunk. It's a good thing to 

add as it keeps the player on their toes as to working out whose good and whose crap.  Still stuck with that damn code though. I have two of the

numbers, but he doesn't mention the order so trying to crack it isn't working lol

Edited by NeonsStyle

Cool mission, took me roughly 75 minutes or so (1h 44m according to the timer, but I was fucking around afk for a bit). I was expecting something more run-of-the-mill, but it definitely had some unique touches to it. The watery area being one of them, reminded me of damn Amnesia a little bit.

I also particularly enjoyed how most all of the lights in the hallways had a switch attached; it feels like it's maybe getting more common, but it always irks me a little to have these kinds of electric lights that cannot be interacted with. I understand the gameplay implications, but as in this mission, can just have the AI turn them back on.

Since others have mentioned them, I found two of the five secrets. I can't really be bothered to look for them specifically, so it's just whatever I stumble across. In fact, I was pretty much done with all the objectives before I found the first one.

Spoiler

Of the five, I found the thief's stash behind the greenhouse, as well as the spooky af basement (which was the first: certainly took me by surprise, considering I had already been everywhere). I don't really fancy horror missions, but these kinds of touches certainly add a little bit of thrill. Was too scared to go back in the skeleton room alone after hearing the footsteps, so I recruited the sleeping business partner of the shop keeper to help me. Sadly there was no monster and got stabbed by my grumpy partner instead.

Come to think of it, I never found the hidden money of the dude who lives next to our character. I assume it is somewhere, since he foolishly wrote about it in his journal, but just couldn't figure it out. Didn't need it for the loot quota, so I let him have his victory. Also fell for the chest-trap, since nobody ever uses those.

The mage, forget his name now, and the protecting charm was an interesting touch as well. It didn't end up mattering, but after I had raided the vault, I just offhandedly realized I could loot it off him, and then a little later it dawned on me I could destroy it in the builder's room. So I went and knocked the guy out anyway, just for good measure.

All in all, a very enjoyable mission. Certainly looking forward to playing more from you.

• Like 1