The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Good Neighbor (2020/03/08)

Amadeus

• 1 month later...

Very good mission!

Just finished and I think it's insane that it's your first mission, it's all so good, my congratulation!

Spoiler

The secret area behind the little library in the shop with that little basement, it's a little jam of atmosphere!

I cannot wait to see more FMs from you 👍

Edited by Ladro

• 1 month later...

Did you have some mapping experience with other engines/games? 'cause it's an incredibly well packed first map.

Please, add the release date to the thread title!

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 2

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

8 hours ago, lowenz said:

Did you have some mapping experience with other engines/games? 'cause it's an incredibly well packed first map.

Please, add the release date to the thread title!

Ha, nope, I've only ever worked with DR. That's not to say that this FM came out of nowhere though. I've spent years quietly learning how to map and scrapped many projects because of awful mapping practices, scope was wayyy too big, etc. This was the culmination of many, many years of hard work. Hopefully I'll be able to make these faster now, ha

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

Well, you know how to learn by yourself :D

The map layout is really pretty good!

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Hey, thank you so much for playing! As far as the code 

check Atiq's room.

Super spoiler:

check the fireplace

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

@Amadeus thanks!

Just finished the mission. It was really good, especially if this was your first one:

Spoiler

I found 2650/3242 in loot and 3/5 secrets:

- the torture chamber

- the thiefs treasure

- the neighbours treasure.

I am really curious where the other 2 secrets are hidden. Do you want to hint me where I have to look?

Secrets wouldn't be secrets if i gave them out ;). Other people on this thread have found all five, so you can check there. But if you don't want to spoil yourself, consider going on another hunt. After all, I'm sure there will be a few other new things you could find. I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was a great mission, very much enjoyed playing it.  Oddly enough,

Spoiler

I was unable to knock out the sorcerer even after destroying his bracelet,

but never mind.  I struggled to get the loot count on Expert, looks like you're pretty good at hiding stuff in plain sight (like bottles just that little bit out of reach).

I found three of the secrets naturally, and managed to work my way over to the fourth, but I'm afraid

Spoiler

I really am going to have to complain about the switch for the neighbour's bookcase.  I think this was unreasonably hard.

It took me forever to find the switch, even after reading through this entire topic, in the end I resorted to crawling along the wall in noclip mode.  After finding it, I did eventually figure out that with my lantern on I can just see something odd over there if I stand in the middle of the carpet, so maybe I could have found it properly if I'd been observant enough.

And then pressing it.  That is too evil.  The book on the desk keeps capturing the frob hint, I can't see anything, and the space in which it is frobable is minute.

I know my skills of observation are not great (my partner hates sending me shopping because I can't find stuff), but this seemed a bit extreme to me.  Clever, but I'd hate this to be a trend!

Ah well, a very enjoyable play, my desire to complete everything got the better of me.  Will definitely have to redo one day and try ghosting it, it feels that should be very doable; this time, because I just could find stuff, I decided to simply knock everybody out (didn't bother with the card players, and the guard in the cistern was a bit too hard for me) to make running around easier.

By the way, I think the guard downstairs can see me through the pillars!  He could be a real menace at times...

Spoiler

Oh, the mantle into the window back of the shop was pretty tricky.  First time I just did it, then couldn't do it however hard I tried; came back another day, just hopped straight up.  Hmm.

Edited by Araneidae
typo

Thanks for playing Araneidae! Also, thanks for the constructive feedback. I plan on updating this FM soon, so I will definitely take this account

• Like 2

So with the help of several very talented individuals, I finally managed to get out a fairly sizeable update for this mission. You can find an updated credits list and a brief changelog for Version 2. Also, the external download link has been updated and the new version should be uploaded to the official servers soon. If anything is broken, please let me know and I'll get to fixing it. Enjoy!

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 2:18 AM, prjames said:
On 3/13/2020 at 10:20 PM, MrMunkeepants said:

I'm looking at the bookcase, but can't find a way to open it

Hide contents

Look for a button elsewhere in the shop; be prepared to move things.

Spoiler

I did find a button behind a small box under the shops desk. Neither the button nor the box are frobbable.

Did I run into some bug? If not, hints are appreciated.

Yes. I checked some older gamesaves. Strange

I can confirm the game crashes when keyholing on goodneighbour V2,  TDM 2.08, 64bit, Ubuntu 20.04

Edited by hanmin

I can confirm the game crashes when keyholing on goodneighbour V2,  TDM 2.08, 64bit, Ubuntu 20.04

hmm, are you sure you are using the TDM x64 exe file (as TDM comes with two exe files - 32-bit and 64-bit). And I'm afraid i won't be too much help with Linux, not sure how well AGN plays on that

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A very nice FM, I definitely enjoyed this one. I was surprised to read here it's your first, it is very professional... lovely to see mapping for TDM is easy to learn by new content creators! Found 2667 loot and 3 secrets in my case.

Spoiler

Might have been 4 secrets? I found the balcony room with the chest that stabs you when you open it, but I can't grab the skull inside nor do anything else in there. Bug or did I miss something?

For this one I managed to find most stuff on my own. The only annoyance was...

Spoiler

Finding the second half of the code. I easily found the first one in the journal stored in the safe, but the burnt note in the fireplace required reading through this thread to figure out. It was a logical place  to look, just that it's not visible... even after I read about it here I couldn't see it and only picked it up because I knew to frob toward the fire.

Same with pick-pocketing the bracelet off the moor mage and putting it in the holy water from the priest's room. Though that doesn't seem to have done anything, there was an effect but nothing like a secret objective popping up.

Also:

Spoiler

I was half expecting an Easter Egg upon putting the stabbed and bleeding voodoo doll from the wardrobe in the fireplace. Thought it would do something to whoever the victim was :)

Hey @MirceaKitsune, thank you so much for playing! As for the bracelet, there is no objective text that shows up specifically; it is just something you have to gleam for yourself.

EDIT: Hmm, i can't seem to get spoiler tags to work right now. Will send a PM

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished and have to say it was pleasure to play.

Beautifully crafted design, rooms and passages in between.

I promised to myself that I won't use spoilers to open the vault.

Well, almost gave up. But then I read all the scrolls, logs and papers....and everything was there!!

All thumbs up and thanks for the experience....

Have two questions though:

Spoiler
  1. Is there any use for the furniture part I found in a chest in the hidden mysterious room under the shop?
  2. Can I do something with the broken parts found in the locked box it the room that leads to the mysterious room?

• 3 months later...

It was a cool mission, thanks. Surprizingly I found all 5 secrets. 

Spoiler

I didn't understand what to do with hatch 3 and where is it actually but I read here in this topic it's nothing.

There was a secret room with footstep noises. It was promising but nothing happened, nobody appeared. :(

I liked the supernatural motifs and the fact not all of them were explained.

• Like 1

Thanks for playing!

Spoiler

As for the hatch, there are several switches you need to activate in order in order for that door to open. Semi-vague instructions can be found in the mechanist's journal.

Also, glad you liked the supernatural elements, but you didn't miss anything with the basement. Originally I had wanted to spawn in a monster, but that complicated things quite a bit, so you just get creepy ambience ;)