The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.07 random crashes

Frost_Salamander

Since I upgraded to 2.07 I keep getting crashes.  It can happen at any time, but frequently it occurs when I press escape to pause and go to the main menu.  Also sometimes when I quick-save.  The music starts getting choppy and then I get the windows spinny wheel and then the 'this program is not responding' dialogue box before it exits.  The most recent example is today when playing 'A Good Neighbor'.  I have the resolution scaled to about 1/2 (as my graphics card can't hack 4K with its 3 GB RAM). Shadows are set to 'Maps' and Multi-core enhancement is 'On' (although I'm pretty sure I get the same problem with this turned off).   Also I noticed that sometimes when I'm idle (like waiting for an AI to move), everything will start chugging, then recover.

It's not so bad that I can't play, but it's often enough that something is obviously wrong.

I've been keeping my video drivers up to date and all that.  Not sure what it is.  Also I couldn't quite figure out how to generate a crash log - happy to provide that if someone can tell me how to do it.

My system is:

• Windows 10
  • Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
  • Xeon X5675 3.07 GHz
  • 24GB RAM
  • 4K monitor

Please start TDM and open the console then invoke:

condump crashing.txt

then supply the resultant text file from your darkmod folder along with your Darkmod.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

stgatilov wont like this but I previously found setting r_cinematic_legacyRoq "1" cured a few crashes.

That said, there is a lot of noise in the console about EFX. If you disable EFX reverb in the Audio GUI

does the problem persist?

If you invoke com_allowAVX in the console and press enter does it return any value?

I'll try disabling EFX.  I've been trying to get it to crash again with no success 🙂 although I did get the stuttering a couple of times when pressing escape to go to the menu.  Also I can confirm the problem exists with multi-core turned off.

If I type

com_allowAVX

in the console I get:

Unknown command 'com_allowAVX'

Also didn't say in my system setup I have a Dell Precision T7500 with stock motherboard. No idea what that supports in terms of sound...

and Multi-core enhancement is 'On'

That feature has been known to create random crashes.

6 minutes ago, Springheel said:

That feature has been known to create random crashes.

Yep, which is why I included that setting in my post. However it still happens with that turned off. 

I am going to try some missions with openal EFX turned off to see if that helps. Will be a few days though before I have feedback.

The specs say Analog Devices ADI (integrated) or Creative Sound Blaster Recon PCie (add-on) but TDM is only finding Nvidia audio:

----- Initializing OpenAL -----
Setup OpenAL device and context
OpenAL: found device 'OpenAL Soft on Headphones (High Definition Audio Device)'

OpenAL: found device 'OpenAL Soft on BenQ EL2870U (NVIDIA High Definition Audio
)'
OpenAL: found device 'OpenAL Soft on VX2457 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)'
OpenAL: using 'OpenAL Soft'
OpenAL vendor: OpenAL Community
OpenAL renderer: OpenAL Soft
OpenAL version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.18.2
OpenAL: found EFX extension
OpenAL: found 256 hardware voices

I suppose you could try disabling Nvidia audio in Device Manager then enabling integrated audio in BIOS

then update the drivers for that.

I presume you have the "urgent" BIOS update applied:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-t7500/drivers

?

played a few missions today and no issues with OpenAL EFX turned off.  Perhaps that was the issue?

@nbohr1more it looks like from that log that it found OpenAL on all devices (including headphones which would the mainboard audio, which is what I always use) - what makes you think it only found it on Nvidia?  BTW this audio support on video cards annoys me to no end - I can never get rid of them.  At the risk of sounding ignorant, why does this exist? Do people plug their headphones into their monitors?  How do you take advantage of this?

Had another problem though which I've not noticed before.  When I activate the compass, it shows up in the bottom center just underneath the light gem, so its half-hidden under that.  Anyone seen this before?

2 of the 3 audio devices have an Nvidia label. This is probably due to "Audio over HDMI" even if your monitor doesn't produce any sound.

You may consider upgrading to Nvidia 442.59 drivers. It might improve stability. You can also try setting affinity so that TDM isn't running on core 0

and fighting with all your other background processes.

OK my main monitor does have speakers, but I never use that.  And yeah, although I said I keep my drivers up to date, I only really do it every couple months or so - will do that.

Also I put the multi-core back on, with no problems there it seems...

Edited by demilich666

On 3/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, demilich666 said:

Had another problem though which I've not noticed before.  When I activate the compass, it shows up in the bottom center just underneath the light gem, so its half-hidden under that.  Anyone seen this before?

Do you use any mods/patches? If I remember correctly, someone made a patch for a Thief 3 like compass and this sounds a bit like that.

4 hours ago, Destined said:

Do you use any mods/patches? If I remember correctly, someone made a patch for a Thief 3 like compass and this sounds a bit like that.

No none at all.

I wonder if it's something to do with the resolution scaling. I have another strange issue where on some maps if I go underwater everything zooms in, and I lose all perspective. Was going to open a new issue but the screenshots were too big to upload. I mentioned it in the Air Pocket fan mission thread.